REAL TIME HELP--ID this series LC and the Motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can you id what series lc this is and what the motor is?

Googlin but I figured Id ask the experts too!

Thanks for the help!
tn2.jpg
photo(2).jpg
tn.jpg

what eng?

what engine is this?

from what I have seen 1HD-T and maybe an 80 or 90 series?

guy said he had an hj61 with a 12H-T and I was gonna drive 4 hours to go look at it for the whole vehicle or the motor/tranny for my 40

its at a junkyard and they got it at an auction
photo-3.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely 80 series...

Engine? I don't really know anything about diesels, but I'd guess 1HD-T

engine

mystery solved--I only know pre 90's cruisers

I wanted to tell them what it was though instead of just that is not what i need

just as well I didnt drive the 4 hours to look at it!

Thanks

Why on earth wouldn't you want a 1HD-T?????

Seriously, the amount of work putting a 1HZ/1HD-T into a 40 or 60, and the amount of work it would take to put a 12HT into the same vehicle are pretty much the same (unless you can't find the right input shaft for the H55f).

Either way you're making motor mounts, and either way you're doing some easy wiring to make it run.

Dan

1hdt for sure direct injection 12 valve ..they spin big ends besides that good donk

12h-t vs 1 HD-T

I was told by a breakers yard they had a 12H-T, my intended swap was a 12H-T & h55. I called and talked to them and they were like oh yeah hf61 12H-T & 1989 but a couple of times they said 98---hmmm. They said they got it at an auction and I was kinda excited about driving up and looking at a hj61--I really like the HJ61 as well as the 40 and one day I will get one.

so he sent pics and it turned out to be the 1HD-T
I was curious if it could be mated to a 55 and put into the 40

for now i am sticking to the original plan but they are not easy to get

As for the quotes I have right now the 1HD-t is about a tenth of the cost of getting a 12HT though

Last edited:

well if you don't go for it and don't mind to pass on the info I might look into it ;)
the 1HD-T is an awesome engine, although t/c slippage kinda ruins the superb pulling torque useability. :D

I was told by a breakers yard they had a 12H-T, my intended swap was a 12H-T & h55. I called and talked to them and they were like oh yeah hf61 12H-T & 1989 but a couple of times they said 98---hmmm. They said they got it at an auction and I was kinda excited about driving up and looking at a hj61--I really like the HJ61 as well as the 40 and one day I will get one.

so he sent pics and it turned out to be the 1HD-T
I was curious if it could be mated to a 55 and put into the 40

As for the quotes I have right now the 1HD-t is about a tenth of the cost of getting a 12HT though

B,
I swapped a 1HZ into my 40. It is really the same engine as the 1HD-T for purposes of the swap. One huge difference is that it comes with turbo and boost compensator from the factory. Both the 1HZ and the 1HD-T will mount to an H55 and both will fit in a 40. For me the difference in deciding between the 12HT v. 1HD-T swap, assuming that you have equal acces to both, the 1HZ and 1HD-T are current production engines that you will have decades access to parts for. If the choice was mine, I´d grab the 1HD-T and run out the back door like I stole something before anybody noticed. :D

Question what is the 1HDT mated to in the junkyard? In that 80 it is probably a 5 speed. It would be interesting to see which one though. I have heard of guys who get THAT lucky in life, I´m not one of them but such people exist. Good luck.

John

transmission

I am trying to find what tranny is in it, it is a manual 5 speed but I thought the 80 series had the h151F which if I remember correctly is too long and puts the shifter between the seats practically

Now if anyone knows what models/years I can get an h55 from and how to mate it to the 1HDT I might be in business.

I had looked at the 1hDT cause spec wise it seemed good but have not been able to goodle and actual transplants into a 40 and I am not looking for a can of worms!;)

also are the parts needed to adapt the tranny unobtanium?

just went up a few posts and saw the tranny info! thanks--off to read the links!

I have seen Crushers thread before ---back to it now to check out the gearbox details---so the 1hz and 1hdt are the same block and bolt patterns?
that is a great thread!

Last edited:
1hdt

Why on earth wouldn't you want a 1HD-T?????
Dan

:lol::lol: yes and why on earth would I want a 40 too? :lol::lol:

The bad part is I have a 2f 65k miles all new parts on it, MAF header, FJ40JIM carb and dizzy, new water pump, new alt---purrs like a kitten and seems to have plenty of power and now i want to pull it out and go diesel

What in the world is wrong with me?:meh::meh::meh:

I am trying to find what tranny is in it, it is a manual 5 speed but I thought the 80 series had the h151F which if I remember correctly is too long and puts the shifter between the seats practically

Now if anyone knows what models/years I can get an h55 from and how to mate it to the 1HDT I might be in business.

I had looked at the 1hDT cause spec wise it seemed good but have not been able to goodle and actual transplants into a 40 and I am not looking for a can of worms!;)

also are the parts needed to adapt the tranny unobtanium?

just went up a few posts and saw the tranny info! thanks--off to read the links!

In terms of the 1HD-T swap into a 40 you may not find anything but the 1HZ swap you will find. The H55 for the 1HD-T uses the same input shaft and same bellhousing as the 1HZ. Mating the H55 to the 1HDT will be the least of your ussies. Re: the H151 you are correct, the "tail" is too long to use in your 40 unless you cut a re-position the cross member. I had one that came with my 1HZ. I elected not to run it as the H55 was a direct bolt on, no frame cutting. I´m still hunting an H55 so for now still running my original H41.

h55

The H55 for the 1HD-T uses the same input shaft and same bellhousing as the 1HZ.

Mating the H55 to the 1HDT will be the least of your ussies.

Thanks for the reply!

1. Just to clarify ---you say the h55 for the 1hd-t uses the same input shaft and bellhousing as the 1HZ

by this do you mean that any h55 will work or were there some models that came from the factory as 1hdt with an h55? if so what year/model should i look for the h55 and xfercase from?

2. mating will be the least of my worries?---is there anything else that might be a show stopper?

Looks like Crusher's only concern was tightness with the steering and tranny but he said if you get it positioned just right it is okay--what do you think?:cheers:

1hdt

think I'll start a new post with my specific 1hdt h55 question now---thanks for all the help so far:)

I'm looking for that specific thread bsmith....

But to make it short and sweet: you want the H55f that came from an HZJ-75 (you also want the bellhousing, clutch, etc...).

Alternately, you can take any H55f, and swap in the correct input shaft for an HZJ-75 (that's what I will do with mine).

I have seen a 1HD-T in a 40. It wasn't running, but it was in the frame. The engine is going into a different vehicle (an 80 series), so it's coming back out, and it had an automatic transmission, so no help with the transmission issues, but.... I'd bet you could talk giraffe into taking some pictures of it perhaps.

Dan

I'm looking for that specific thread bsmith....

But to make it short and sweet: you want the H55f that came from an HZJ-75 (you also want the bellhousing, clutch, etc...).

Alternately, you can take any H55f, and swap in the correct input shaft for an HZJ-75 (that's what I will do with mine).

I have seen a 1HD-T in a 40. It wasn't running, but it was in the frame. The engine is going into a different vehicle (an 80 series), so it's coming back out, and it had an automatic transmission, so no help with the transmission issues, but.... I'd bet you could talk giraffe into taking some pictures of it perhaps.

Dan

X10 to what Dan said. (That´s the difference between writing a post when your really awake and when your going on just a few hours of sleep)., This what I was referring to in my clumsy shorthand way. "the least of your issues". Dan could not have expressed it better. To add to this. I have two club mates who have 1HD-Ts with manual 5 speed trannys from the factory. Each has a H151 mated to it from the factory. In terms of a swap into a 40 think H151, long tail, H55f no tail. It is the fact that the H55 f is short that allows you to slide it in without cutting crossmember In terms of putting an H55 in you will most likely need to shorten one drive shaft and lwengthen the other by between an inch to three inches one for the other, denpending on the exact placement of your engine and transmission, e.g. the full discussion in Crusher´s thread. That is like day worth of work at the machine shop.

B, let me put it in context for youI have the 1HZ in my 40, I´m looking for an H55 I already have the right bellhousing. Remember, regarding a swap into a 40 frame, the 1HZ and the 1HD-T are really the same engine, e.g., same engine mounts. All I need is a new clutch disk for the H55 to replace the one that I´m running for the H41 and once again do the dance with my drive shafts. I´m having a bear of a time finding an H55 because they can be put behind a B, 3B, 13BT, 14B, 12HT, 1HZ and a 1HD-T that I have seen. I´m sure if you find the right bellhousing, clutch disk and input shaft you could run it behind a 2B, 15B and others in the H family.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom