Ready to build an 80 but need advice on what to offer the current owner... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a terrible abuse of an 80 down the street from me and have been struggling to find the owner for some time. In the months it's taken me, kids have knocked the back windows out, stolen the radio, the battery, and the wheels and tires. When I first started looking at the Cruiser it had all this stuff on it. Now the owner (the 80 was his parents' who died in what I figured was an abandoned house) is ready to sell, after I noticed a UHaul sitting outside (finally!) and was able to approach him. Hispanic guy, maybe late 40s, who just says make him an offer.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and not a rich guy by any means, but I'm aware of everything that could possibly be wrong with a vehicle that has 180,000 miles on it and no apparent service records.

Has no lockers, will need driver side rear passenger windows replaced (both) and the rear cargo window replaced on the same side. Will need a battery too, but I don't really care about the radio.

Wife and I are gonna use this for a camping rig, not looking to do anything crazy, that's what our WJ Grand Cherokee is for...

Question is, what should I offer the guy?

Looks like KBB rough is $2,000 but I ain't thinking anywhere close to that.

Just looking for a potential opportunity here, any advice would be appreciated.

A couple things to keep in mind. Wheels and window glass could run into real money real quick, depending on what route you go. If there are some decent salvage yards near you with 80's that may make things a bit easier. Tires will set you back a good chunk of money as well.

As a general rule I'd financially plan on it needing all maintenance and if you get into it and find it doesn't need something count it as a win. If you could have it checked out by a mechanic that would be good but without being a roller that may be hard. Potential issues you might hit are brakes, front axle rebuild, head gasket, general tune, etc. Without knowing a bit about the condition of those items its hard to say. Maybe the guy would take close to salvage value for it just to not have to deal with it. Good luck!

That sucks, on several levels.

I'd stay around $1,000 with an offer, heck maybe even throw less out there, as it's not even drivable, and I highly doubt he's interested in parting it out himself. Throw in the unknowns, and anything more is a bit rich for that kind of gamble.

With that being said, I bet 80 ownership might change your mind about your WJ ;p

If you get it, I have a 97 LX450 I am about to cut half the body off. = Doors and all the glass.

OH ya before you offer anything, put a battery on it and make sure it runs! If its been sitting for some time expect things not working. For the value, depends on the year. If you are not sure of the year post up a photo and we can tell you what it is. Need to see the rear axle/ and front of the truck. If its a 91-92 low value, few hundy. 93-97 bit more.

Mark

Pictures would help but from your description, no matter what year it is, just a couple hundred - he'll be glad he doesn't have to get rid of it himself. This truck could wind up being a lot of money to get back together.

With the recent tax laws on donations it's more than he'll make from a tax deduction from one of those "charities" that wants your car or boat.

Seriously, the Cherokee will be for the rough stuff?

Go the discount this... that... route..

For example, say something like:

I would offer you $3,500 but I need

side windows x2 = $$$(do you homework at dealer)
Rear Window x1 = $$$
Battery = $$$
more than liklely Full Front Axle rebuild = $1200
Interior clean or carpet change = $$$ (if it has rained +)
Rims x 4 or 5(spare) = about $300+
Tires x 4 or = about $1,000

Glass at dealer price is very pricey so all this and whatever else you find will probably end up with a few hundred left for value or even over value! Allways quote prices for new parts at dealer and dealer price for service/repair.

Go with a list made, printed up and he wont be able to dissagree, and if it wont start, that will really bring down price.

Do take pics of inside engine bay, front axle Knuckles ball ends (by wheels)...any grease buildup in this area means Full front axle rebuild. (seals + bearings)

he should pay you to take it. Right from the starting gate you're replacing the windows and that's big money.
the rear window alone is 800 from the dealer...I checked

Walk, no, run away... :rolleyes: Start out with something better.

I offered him $500. He declined. My wife said "thank God."

End of story.

I guess everything happens for a reason. Back to looking...

I offered him $500. He declined. My wife said "thank God."

Listen to your wife - sounds like she has good intuition, which you seem to lack at this point (hopefully that will change the more you search). Seems to me I've been there before: you get so hot about buying something, anything that you are willing to 'live' with some of the huge problems of the prospect you're looking at. When you're in that state of mind, you could make a big mistake - trust me on this: cool off a bit (take a break from searching if you have to, I know it will be hard) but last thing you wanna do is 'buy on a tilt'... :popcorn:

What's your budget - got one?! Also, put your location in your profile, that will help too.

James

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom