RE-Powering a FJ55 Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after a turn in my luck, have concluded the rebuilt 1F motor in my Pig is not going to be up to the task of powering my pig down the rode anymore.

Here are my problems with the 1F motor.
1. Engine has not be very reliable
2. Little power to get up the hill to my home.
3. The motor is starting to smoke at start up.
4. Parts are hard to find anymore.
5. Poor oiling system.
6. Really heavy.

So I live fairly close to a large use late model vehicle salvage yard (Spadlings) So I have access to motors of most makes and models of vehicles.

So my questions are:

1. For these heavy rigs what motor would be a great swap, not looking at running a 350 chevy I am looking at Vortec lineup, 4.7l Toyota or?

2. Will my stock 1971 10 spline axles hold up to the extra power?

3. Will my stock 3 speed case hold up to the power as well?

4. Last is as i have a stock three on the tree I will be replacing the transmission with what comes stock behind the motor or?

So the reason I am asking all of these questions is if this is going to be possible on a budget or more or less what it is going to cost to repower the FJ55?

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_0152.jpg

So my questions are:

1. For these heavy rigs what motor would be a great swap, not looking at running a 350 chevy I am looking at Vortec lineup, 4.7l Toyota or?

2. Will my stock 1971 10 spline axles hold up to the extra power?

3. Will my stock 3 speed case hold up to the power as well?

4. Last is as i have a stock three on the tree I will be replacing the transmission with what comes stock behind the motor or?

So the reason I am asking all of these questions is if this is going to be possible on a budget or more or less what it is going to cost to repower the FJ55?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not sure how this is 'hardcore' but here goes.

1. The Vortec is the modernized (somewhat) Chevrolet 350. Better fuel injection, better cylinder heads. Jsut all around better. Tons of aftermarket support. A 5.3 vortec would be a nice motor in a piggie.

The Toyota 4.7 would be good, but less power for you $$ spent than on the Vortec. Also, many fewer aftermarket support pieces. If you're OK with wiring and plumbing in the fuel system yourself, go for it. The Vortec, you can buy an off the shelf wiring harness, ecm, etc.

2. Marginally. If you keep your foot out of it, and you don't plan on going to larger tires, they will probably hold hold up. I'd strongly suggest getting the knuckles -out off of a minitruck or FJ60 'Cruiser. That way you get disc brakes and fine splined birfields (better) or even get long fields(best).

3/4. The stock 3 speed transmission -many have had good success with them, however, you might end up loosing the column shift. In that case, I'd consider an overdrive transmission option, like an NV4500 or 4L60E (came stock with the 5.3 liter). The 1 piece t-case should be fine. Should be. upgrading to an Orion or split case woudl be more better, though.

You can always do this 'on a budget' depending on the budget...

I've made a spreadsheet with the cost of doing a Vortec swap to an 80 series. -the spreadsheet is about $10,000 in parts (with low mileage motor, rebuilt transmission, split case, adapter to split case, most of the major parts, but where these conversions kill you, is in the little nickel and dime pieces).

In the end you might find a 2F-H42-Split case that someone pulld for a V8 conversion. This would be significantly cheaper than a motor swap, and will nearly drop in with minimal fuss.

A budget vortec/trans swap is 5-6k DIY. You could hit 10k really fast depending what you rebuild and replace. A lot of people don't add up all the small things. A split case is much stronger.

Last edited:
find the slow71 thread by scrapdaddy in the pig forum; bottom of main forum page. he's doing the 5.3 and has got it all figured out. it's not going to be cheap. as far as the trans goes, just make sure there is a way to adapt it to the Tcase unless you want to swap axles too. the stock 3 or 4 speed trans would be tough enough, but I'd consider swapping in later axles for the finer splines and bigger knuckles, as the stock ones are gunna be the weaker link in the rest of the stock Dtrain. I have a hot-rod 2F rebuilt and an 84 4speed with splitcase turning a shortened fzj80 FF rear axle, 4.10 gears(4.11 front) driving some worn down 295/16s; the longer steeper hills have me down shifting to third, but that'll still pull those hills at 55 and 3300 rpms. There are some nuances using a later 2F in a pig- waterpump and fan need to be the 1976 style w/o fan clutch but with oil cooler- or ditch the cooler; and a rear crossmember will need to be added, but other than that, will drop right in. It is a bit more power with a stockish 2F than the F; My motor is pulling way harder than any 2F I've known so far, but still not as burley as my old 350. You might try to find someone in your area with a beefed up 2F who will let you drive it, and then find and try the V8 conversion so you have some sort of personal reference to make you decision with. best to do it right and do it once...hth

almost forgot, if you swap to a different tcase than stock, you'll need to address the ebrake issue(fj60/62 or cost'em 80 series rear axle swap will fix that;))

Tigerstripe40
The reason I posted this in the hardcore section is you gentlemen have worked with these challenges and have either broke and fixed or replace the drivetrains. So who better to ask a question about drivetrain than the guys who know them best.

Also I do have a thread in the FJ55 section and have read Slow71 build a few times.

Last is the reason I am looking at motor swap other than a 2F swap is one thing there is limited Land Cruisers all years and models in this area just seeing one is rare even if it is parked in a yard or driveway. So access to a 2F motor means traveling a good distance making the cost go way up.

I also hope that one day my rig will belong in the Hardcore Section.

IMG_0143.jpg

V8. The end.

x2 on a fuel injected vortec we put one in my 70 series cruiser, really nice modern engine, starts easy, performs well and makes my truck drive like a late model car its worlds apart from the old 350 that was in it. Was an easy swap, we used an LS1 flywheel and dellow bellhousing and the stock (although somewhat chopped up) wiring harness, we found a guy on ebay that flashed up a GM ECM for it and took out all the security stuff, auto trans and stuff we didn't need for $100 USD, it pretty much started up first time when we hooked it all up. We're running it through the stock H55 and split case and 4.11 diffs with fine spline axles with no problems :)

Vortec!!!
I'd go w/ a 5.3 or more. Beautifully engineered motors, accessible parts, better MPG and they just run beautifully!!
In a big heavy rig like a 55, you just will not be disappointed.
I would caution to use a harness from a reputable company!! There are MANY people who have tried to cheap on the wiring, an have spent YEARS (in some cases) trying to chase down poor harness builds!! I went w/ a Howell harness and its very simple!!
I detailed my whole build on a thread here titled
"Chicago builds a 40"... It's a LOOOOOONG read, but there is a TON of info that I and others contributed.
Me personally, I would and DID opt for the 4l60e trans!! It ultimately makes the wiring and ECU easier and.... Well.... It's an automatic.
One thing I did was use an NP203 to split case, so everything bolted up and I was able to keep the cruisers axles. I'm not sure what cruiser t case would work best if only using ONE cruiser case.

6.0l engine swap

So I have tracked down a low mileage 6.0l Vortec motor out of a 2004 Hummer with a 4l65e auto transmission turn key five wire hookup.

Ok so before I go and jump on that deal will I have to do an SOA lift also will my stock axle holdup till I can save up for some better axles? It might be a year of saving/ searching for a replacement more likely.

Last is with running the auto trans will it fit without making a new transmission tunnel?

Thanks in advance

So I have tracked down a low mileage 6.0l Vortec motor out of a 2004 Hummer with a 4l65e auto transmission turn key five wire hookup.

Ok so before I go and jump on that deal will I have to do an SOA lift also will my stock axle holdup till I can save up for some better axles? It might be a year of saving/ searching for a replacement more likely.

Last is with running the auto trans will it fit without making a new transmission tunnel?

Thanks in advance

Donno about the SOA, but the trans tunnel might need some mods.
The axles will be fine if you're not gonna be doing burn outst off the line. I've wheeled some pretty hard trails over the last two years and have not had a single axle break (knock on wood) w/ lockers f/r and dual cases.
Are you going to be wheeling this rig?? What's its primary use?

I just saw that you're running the 10 splines....
Just go easy on the throttle.
Never had 10 splines, but do realize they're weaker axles, so I'm guessing that you'd wanna err on the cautious side.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and ideas. But i have taken my project in another direction all together.

Well after digging thought the internet for motor a Mercedes Benz Diesel ended up in my garage.:bounce2:
I am glad to say I have made great progress on the swap. And because everyone likes pics.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Great Idea
That Diesel will provide some low end grunt power and hopefully won't take out the axles.

Yes! So much better. Om617? A friend of mine swapped one into his tacoma.

Yes the motor is om617 out of a 1985 Mercedes Benz.

Does anyone know any info on wiring or more or less getting the Mercedes alternator to play nice with the Fj55 Wiring harness?

Did you ever get more info on wiring the Merc alternator? I'm getting close to that point.

I've got the merc alternator wired in but haven't tested yet… I ran it to the + terminal of the ammeter gauge then from the - to the battery. Should be the right flow for measuring current… bench tested the gauge at least. It sounded good at the time after overhauling the entire harness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom