Re-key options in Austin area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all! For my '04 LC100, I'm needing new keys. Currently have one and it's about to break. I tried the YotaMD key, but a screw broke during reassembly and the integrity isn't great. Plus, we only have one and almost threw it in the trash can today. Any recommendations for local help?

Thanks!

Cothron’s is who I’d try.

Dealer can cut new keys using your VIN, you can program them assuming your one key is a good master

I just got off the phone with the parts department at one of our local dealers and the guy kept saying “VIN number”… that really grinds my gears and has nothing to do with the topic at hand but here we are.

Cothron’s made keys for my tundra fwiw.

I just got off the phone with the parts department at one of our local dealers and the guy kept saying “VIN number”… that really grinds my gears and has nothing to do with the topic at hand but here we are.

Cothron’s made keys for my tundra fwiw.
Ian the dealer uses the VIN to cut an exact new key unique to the vehicle. On the 100 series it get more complicated because the key is chipped and must be ‘programmed’ to the ECU using an existing key. There is a sequence in the FSM that walks you through the process but you have to have an existing master key. If that is gone, you‘re looking at a new ECU and key.

Ian the dealer uses the VIN to cut an exact new key unique to the vehicle. On the 100 series it get more complicated because the key is chipped and must be ‘programmed’ to the ECU using an existing key. There is a sequence in the FSM that walks you through the process but you have to have an existing master key. If that is gone, you‘re looking at a new ECU and key.
Copy. Obviously this is above my pay grade. I just tend to have a general disdain for the dealership so I tend to look for alternatives when it’s feasible and practical.

Copy. Obviously this is above my pay grade. I just tend to have a general disdain for the dealership so I tend to look for alternatives when it’s feasible and practical.
I hate em, but when I got my first 100 I learned a needed them for something. I bought a couple key blanks online and promptly disassembled them to get em into the more durable YotaMD housings. Took them to dealer to have them cut, then programmed them myself (had to fix a door lock actuator).

In other dealer news, I actually think the online discount parts portal at AutoNation is decent. Prices are competitive and you can select will call at checkout to save on shipping.

Carry on

1702907539610.png

Might look into this??

I actually think the online discount parts portal at AutoNation is decent.
Do you have a link for this newer site?
I bookmarked it but it’s bringing to the lame dealership page that doesn’t have the option for pickup. Cedar Park does, but that negates the shipping practically.

Thanks,
Ian

Do you have a link for this newer site?
I bookmarked it but it’s bringing to the lame dealership page that doesn’t have the option for pickup. Cedar Park does, but that negates the shipping practically.

Thanks,
Ian
Yeah that pickup option seems to come and go at autonation toyota south austin.

I see the pickup option at the very end when setting up payment. I’ve never had it not work, the crack staff over there leaves something to be desired but I’ve never had a problem with an order. I always get an order confirmation email, an email when something is not in stock (which is most of the parts for a 40 or 80) with an expected timeframe, and an email when the order is ready for pickup.

If you have one working key then buy the aftermarket from eBay or Amazon. I have a programmer that lets you copy. It’s small unit that plugs into OBD port.

I used that to make duplicates for 2004 LX

AutoNation Toyota or Lexus of Austin will cut you the keys for very nominal amount

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom