RCI 5* steps-how much to cut the rocker trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a set of the RCI steps arriving soon. 5* angle with tread plate. Looking for how much anyone trimmed from the plastic rocker trim on the front and rear. Currently, I've found 4" on the front and 2.5" on the rear as measured from the top of the plastic. Any advice is welcome. From the pictures and video I've found it appears the RCI steps bend in towards the frame short of the ends of the plastic (i.e. the steps actually fit into the opening of the trim).

Thanks.

I went a little higher with the trim.. it eliminated some of that flared out look. There is also a little up and down room on the frame with the sliders to keep it away from the trim piece.
I made my initial trim at the referenced 4" and 2.5" but ended up trimming a little more.

Dremel with cutoff wheel and sanding wheel worked awesome for the job. Small rough hand planer worked to straighten the cut after.

IMG_20231121_163455.jpg
IMG_20231114_155635.jpg

That looks just what I'm looking for. Would you have a chance to measure how far down you ended up on the front and rear? That would be very helpful. Also, did you fit the puddle lights or remove them completely? I haven't looked at what it takes to make the lights work just yet.
Thanks!

Measured my cuts... 3-3/4" on the front and 2" flat on the rear. It starts getting into a flatter underside piece going much further. You'll see once you start trimming.

I removed the puddle lights completely at the connector, taped up the connector and zip tied it up. I saved everything for mounting at some point. Future project I guess.

FWIW, i found it easiest to disconnect and remove all the running board pieces while still attached and leave that trim piece attached the whole time. Then cut.
IMG_20231114_145339.jpg

@volklflip88 Thanks. This gives me a lot of good information to go on. BTW, are you an F/A-18 driver? I flew Omega tankers for a few years, before I lost my medical in 2020.

BTW, are you an F/A-18 driver? I flew Omega tankers for a few years, before I lost my medical in 2020.
Yessir! Or was anyway. Flew the EA-18G up in Whidbey for 10 years. Tanked off Omega many a times! Great service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom