Raptor the beast... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering using Raptor paint for my LJ78 (inside and outside) but before I take this step, I am hoping someone took the leap before and painted their 70 Series with Raptor :)

If this is you, will you be kind to post a few pictures and your thoughts on Raptor or an alternative option.

I need to way up a $10K NZD respray (proper paint job by the pro's) vs. something like Raptor.

My preference is a pro respray, but I want to use the LJ78 for fun in the mud and camping. I can just see myself with the first scratches after a new paint job...

I assume you are asking about “Raptor Liner” by U-POL. Product is easy enough to use. The Futz Gun that comes with the kit is pretty basic and will apply the product rather thickly if you follow the recommendation of 40-60 psi. I don’t really like the thick splatter look and turned the pressure up to 90 psi and you get a much nicer texture / finer texture in my opinion. I think it is a good product at a fair price. You still have to prep properly and it will hide some things, but not everything (dents). The product is marketed as a bed liner and I personally wouldn’t do an entire vehicle, but to each his own.

I have used Raptor, Monstaliner and Al's Liner on the outside of several Land Cruisers. I now lean toward UPOL Raptor because of its easy application. I really like it, especially on a vehicle that will see brush, dirt and rough terrain.
I've sprayed and rolled the finishes. Rolling gave me a fine texture I really liked on Dingo, the 80-which is now 10 years old and holding up great. I just sprayed Raptor on my bumpers on the 70 series and used the supplied gun at about 50 psi which gave a thicker texture which is what I wanted. I agree with Dprio34 that you'd probably want turn up the psi to get a finer texture on the body than on the bumpers. Not sure I'd go through the trouble on the inside.
Here's a couple shots of Dingo with the Al's Liner (when just painted and 10 years on) and Kitsu's new bumpers.
Cheers,
Greg

DSCN0170.jpg
PXL_20210216_161728630.jpg
PXL_20210423_163223183.jpg
PXL_20210425_180915088.jpg

Another option would be for you to spray paint yourself. I've used Rustoleum satin on a Jeep and two Land Cruisers using a cheap HVLP spray gun. The finish is lightly textured, satin finish and durable and you have the option of spray cans for touch up...here's Cadet, one of our FJ-40s with Rustoleum Satin Olive.

front fender paint.jpg
logo light.jpg
outside oblique.jpg

I have used Raptor, Monstaliner and Al's Liner on the outside of several Land Cruisers. I now lean toward UPOL Raptor because of its easy application. I really like it, especially on a vehicle that will see brush, dirt and rough terrain.
I've sprayed and rolled the finishes. Rolling gave me a fine texture I really liked on Dingo, the 80-which is now 10 years old and holding up great. I just sprayed Raptor on my bumpers on the 70 series and used the supplied gun at about 50 psi which gave a thicker texture which is what I wanted. I agree with Dprio34 that you'd probably want turn up the psi to get a finer texture on the body than on the bumpers. Not sure I'd go through the trouble on the inside.
Here's a couple shots of Dingo with the Al's Liner (when just painted and 10 years on) and Kitsu's new bumpers.
Cheers,
Greg
Very nice! Thank you.

Another option would be for you to spray paint yourself. I've used Rustoleum satin on a Jeep and two Land Cruisers using a cheap HVLP spray gun. The finish is lightly textured, satin finish and durable and you have the option of spray cans for touch up...here's Cadet, one of our FJ-40s with Rustoleum Satin Olive.
That looks really nice. Will definitely check the product out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom