Ram Jet 350 to H55 install-73 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow Dominic!

Once again, you've done the hard work for this fool to follow!

Coupla questions.

Did the Ramjet come equipped with the flywheel?

Who'd you get the ramshorns from? I have a set from a 62' Impala 283, but has a bracket for the alternator which I'm sure will not fit the serpentine setup.

What fuel pump did you finally go with?

You are a lucky man with the ease in bolting it up to the tranny! I once spent a good five hours, with help, in mating up a 390 to a four speed on a '76 highboy. The neighbors kept the kids in for a month after that tirade.

Thanks again for a great threas!

how's the power difference with the ramjet?
At first I was not that impressed to be honest. My old motor ran great and got up and went quite well too, but I thought 350 horse would make a pretty big difference. Once I had resolved some of the bigger issues I was having I started troubleshooting a few items and determined that with my pedal to the floor I was only at 3/4 throttle. So I figured I needed to increase the throw to get it to wide open throttle. There were 2 options I figured I could do to resolve the problem... 1. Buy a Lokar pedal like TLC uses on their conversions or 2. bend my stock pedal to increase the travel distance. I decided to bend the pedal to get the last 1/4 throttle and that made a HUGE difference as you can imagine. There is no doubt this motor hauls ass! Plenty of power for a 40 as Degnol states later. The pedal seems a bit high but as long as I get used to it and its not uncomfortable I will probably stick with it.
WHat are you going to do with the old engine?

Sold to a buddy.

Last edited:
Jim-

Did the Ramjet come equipped with the flywheel?

Yes. 168 tooth flywheel. Fit the 11" centerforce clutch I used. I did have to add the pilot bushing.

Who'd you get the ramshorns from? I have a set from a 62' Impala 283, but has a bracket for the alternator which I'm sure will not fit the serpentine setup.
I scored the ramshorns from a local hot rodder by chance. I have no idea what they are off of but was told they would work (and they did) and for $75 already coated who am I to complain? Send me a pic (or post it up) of yours and I'll tell you if I think it would work.

What fuel pump did you finally go with?

I decided on the MSD here: http://msdfuelinjection.com/efi_fuelpump.html I have not checked my fuel pressure yet but it seems to be ok. It does not have provisions to screw in an AN fitting on the outlet though.

EDIT: I decided on a different fuel pump after the fact. As of today I still have the MSD installed, but this Holley will be added soon (AN fitings and a 3/8" supply not 5/16" like the MSD). http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294925239+4294839053+400178+115&autoview=sku
I found one online for $139 shipped and decided I would keep the MSD as a trail spare.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Last edited:
The next step was to install the exhaust bung for the O2 sensor. I had just had a custom exhaust built for the 5 speed conversion I had done and was quite pleased with the result. I decided to try and do this part myself to gain a little experience instead of just running to a shop. First I read the instructions which indicated placing the sensor as close to the manifold as possible (I don't recommend using the location seen here. Check post #26 for why...). I measured to be sure access was easy and that the sensor could be installed and removed without great effort. Then I marked where the 7/8" hole was to be drilled, then made the hole. Finally I made a hideous weld to attach the bung. Although it doesn't look very pretty it did the trick.

After installing the bung I lined up the crossover (Y) pipe to the manifolds...
exhaustbung1.jpg
exhaustbung2.jpg
exhaustbung3.jpg

Last edited:
So a quick call to the exhaust shop confirmed they would build a new pipe that same day. I again borrowed my buddy's trailer and winched it on and towed it to the shop. It eventually took until the next day but the pipe came out perfectly and I learned that the O2 sensor placement was much better in the collector of the "Y" pipe so both sides of the motor would be in the loop not just the side I had originally placed it in.

Once back home I decided to tackle the fuel sytsem. I had decided to go with the MSD fuel pump: MSD Fuel Injection - Performance EFI Systems because it seemed to meet the needs as described in the installation instructions (43-55 psi and deliver 35 gallons/hr) and was pretty reasonably priced which would make carrying a spare more realistic. I mounted it in the same location as the Holley fuel pump I ran with the Pro-Jection setup. The inlet is 3/8" and the outlet is 5/16" and I had a hard time determining what size hoses to use. I eventually went with 5/16" High Pressure fuel injection hose with lines that matched the stock metal fuel lines in the frame near the front of the rig. I will be changing this soon as I have run into a few issues since first installing these lines. (EDIT: See posts 71 and 72 for VERY IMPORTANT updated information on the fuel lines).

EDIT: I also decided to change to this Holley fuel pump (12-920) for true 3/8" supply and will be keeping the MSD as a spare: Holley 12-920 - Holley In-Line Electric Fuel Pumps - summitracing.com

fuelpump01.jpg
fuelpump02.jpg

Last edited:
That's one hell of a motor install, beautiful engine, the finish is 100% and a lot of HP and I have looked over the forum and see a lot of big powerful V8's going into FJ's.

I just put a 4.0litre diesel into my FJ (with the same power & size as the 2F was), now I don't won't upset you in anyway because I know what the feeling is like when you acomplish something like what you have done, but the FJ at speeds over 60mph are a handful, they don't stop all that well and really don't have any saftey features so to speak of.

Now I own fast powerful cars, they are 2007 models that handle the 400 & 500hp, so I am intrigued, it maybe an age thing and I am just getting to old, but what makes people put these V8's in?

Is it the presention and the acomplishment because it certainly well engineered or is the need for speed & power?. The FJ is not a sports car and in Australia a lot of people put small V8's in because they are cheap to buy and maintain, but some of the installs I have seen on the forum are mind blowing for DD vehicle.

Anyway like I said that's one hell of an install and it's a credit to you and a achievement, happy motoring.

There were 2 options I figured I could do to resolve the problem... 1. Buy a Lokar pedal like TLC uses on their conversions or 2. bend my stock pedal to increase the travel distance. I decided to bend the pedal to get the last 1/4 throttle and that made a HUGE difference as you can imagine. The pedal seems a bit high but as long as I get used to it and its not uncomfortable I will probably stick with it.

a third option that wouldn't make the pedal uncomfortably high would be to extend it above the pivot point. that would give it a longer extended length and you could keep your pedal in the stock form.

Now I own fast powerful cars, they are 2007 models that handle the 400 & 500hp, so I am intrigued, it maybe an age thing and I am just getting to old, but what makes people put these V8's in?

Is it the presention and the acomplishment because it certainly well engineered or is the need for speed & power?. The FJ is not a sports car and in Australia a lot of people put small V8's in because they are cheap to buy and maintain, but some of the installs I have seen on the forum are mind blowing for DD vehicle.

it's not about wether or not you can go over 60mph, it's how fast you can get there:D

I just put a 4.0litre diesel into my FJ (with the same power & size as the 2F was), now I don't won't upset you in anyway because I know what the feeling is like when you acomplish something like what you have done, but the FJ at speeds over 60mph are a handful, they don't stop all that well and really don't have any saftey features so to speak of.

Watrob-

No offense taken, in fact quite the contrary. I really like to get others opinions. I think everybody does stuff for different reasons but I'll try to explain mine.

I've owned F motor cruisers and liked them but wanted some more power. The quick easy install is an SBC so I bought one that was already converted because I was intimidated by the process then and found one for cheaper than I could do it. With the increase in power I decided disc brakes was in order for safety and driveability concerns. After many years of dreaming of a little better freeway ride I dropped a 5 speed in and have enjoyed that improvement. As for the Ram Jet I was replacing a V8 with an improved V8 in my opinion. Better driveability, more reliable, and yes more HP (as missipboy said... faster to 60). Now I'm planning on rear discs to help again with drivability and safety.

This is just a hobby for me. I feel fortunate to have the time, resources and my health that allows me to have this kind of fun. I have two other cars that are newer and safer. The cruiser is not a daily driver but I wouldn't hesitate to use it as one. If I had more time and room I would get an FJ45 and put a Big Block in it with an auto tranny. More space than that and I would add another 40 and convert it to diesel. But I would be the one doing it so I could learn about diesel motors. More room than that... a stock pristine 40, a troopy, etc. More room than that (and money) and I might commission an ICON. But believe me, I would be in Van Nuys, bugging the $h1T out of Jonathan watching the whole thing, because that's what I'd like to do.

Bottom line is I did it to do it. Maybe in a few years I'll pull this out and put in an LS1... just for fun. :)

What kind of gas milage did you get out of the 350 with the 5 speed? I ask because the gas prices are getting so high and my fj only gets 9 mpg.

James-

The best I could ever get was 10-11mpg with Holley Pro-Jection FI on a V8 with 4:10 gears, 33's and the H55. Now with the Ram Jet I can get about 13 at best with a lot of effort and a feather right foot. I'm going to try and drive REAAAALY slow on both tanks to see if I can do better. But now I have to buy premium fuel so there is no financial gain...

EDIT: 14.5 MPG is the best so far...

Last edited:
Watrob-

No offense taken, in fact quite the contrary. I really like to get others opinions. I think everybody does stuff for different reasons but I'll try to explain mine.

DomSmith,Thanks for the reply, had a feeling you did it because it was there, know what you mean.I see some fellow forum members are talking about MPG, I don't think that should come into the equation when one is putting thunderous V8 into a FJ. Seems to me if they are that worried about the price of fuel then put 1.8ltr 4 cylinder in or else drop a diesel in which would be far better all round.

Poser has to chime in on this thread. He has done the 350 RamJet on a '62 FJ40 and I got to drive it with an auto. :eek::eek::eek:
That is a sweet motor and plenty of ass for a '40. :beer::beer:

Ed

Before I finalized the fuel lines I started on the electrical wiring. I began by locating all of the sensors. The Knock Sensor (psgr side of block), Throttle Position Sensor (side of throttle body @ bottom), Idle Air Control Valve (side of throttle body @ top), MAP Sensor (side of plenum), Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (drvr side front of intake manifold) were all installed and just needed the wires attached. The IAT (Intake Air Temp) Sensor was not installed, nor was the O2 Sensor. I installed the O2 sensor in the welded bung using a coat of anti-seize and torqued to 20 ft lbs. The IAT was a different story. First it's referred to as an IAT in the instructions but the wiring harness is labeled "MAT" sensor. There also was no clear place to install it. I posted up for some help here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=184713

After chatting with a buddy at Turn Key Engine Supply I decided I would build a short tube in between the air filter and Throttle Body as recommended by cruiser boy. For the time being I just zip tied it near the air filter until the tube could be installed.
ramjet01-copy.jpg

Very nice indeed. Great write up too! Can't wait unitl you get to the next chapter of starting and driving the truck. Waiting in anticipation. BTW, once you add the rear disc brakes and perhaps a powerful booster (highly recommended), the truck is much more tame to drive at speeds above 60. Trust me, I know. The only real concern I have when driving my rig at those speeds is cross winds.

The directions state to lay the wiring harness on the left (drivers) side of the intake manifold and to connect each of the IAT (MAT), IAC, TPS, and ECT sensors followed by the 8 injector wires, MAP sensor and then ECM connectors (labeled "J1" and "J2"). This was very simple and basically a no brainer. You then attach the coil wire assembly which consisted of 2 connectors that were part of the harness. NOTE: One of those wires came as a seperate piece (Part#12097982) but was extra which I did not use.

Next was plugging in the fuel pump and ignition relays (pic). I decided I would mount these to the firewall but wanted to position the coil there first so I could fit them all cleanly...
relays.jpg

I took the coil and marked where I thought it would fit well on the firewall and was sure to leave some room for the relays. I placed it in a position where I could easily access the bolts from the glovebox to make it easy to put the nuts on. Once marked, I drilled two holes and attached the coil. I forgot to measure the coil wire but lucked out when it was perfectly spaced.
coilinstall01.jpg
coilinstall02.jpg
coilinstall03.jpg

After the coil was installed I drilled a few offset holes and plugged the relays into the firewall. The "push-in" tabs stuck into the firewall and the other oblong pin just kept it from spinning. The way I mounted them they stay in ok but are a little loose. I put a few washers on the opposite side of the firewall (cab side) on the "push-in" tab but that didn't seem to improve things very much. I'd be interested to hear the best way to install these where they are solid on the firewall by people that have done it.

After securing the relays I attached the knock sensor wire and the fuel pump leads. All of the wires on the harness were plenty long enough and I decided to cut about 18" off the fuel pump wires. Once measured out they fit well at the pump.
relayinstall01.jpg
relayback.jpg

Last edited:
The only wires left to connect were the ignition wire (to switched 12volt), the tach wire and the BATT+ wire connected to battery power. The instructions state to make the BATT+ connection at the starter but I decided to connect it to a battery wire that I thought was connected to the battery on the other Fuel Injection that I removed (More on this later-SEE POST 82). It consists of a large 50AMP fuse and is much larger gauge wire than the rest of the harness. It suggests adding a fusible link as well but I thought the 50AMP fuse would do the trick. I may look into soldering an inline fusible link in the future.

The ECU is quite small and comes attached to the head at the valve cover on the passenger side. The wiring harness reached without much of a struggle so I left it there.

After connecting all the wires I used a loom holder bolted to the firewall to hold the loom out of the way.
battery-wire.jpg
ecu.jpg
harnessmount.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom