Ram Horn SBC help

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Mendocino, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Mendocino

Mendocino

Near as I can tell (from block numbers), in my FJ40 I have a 1968 327 4bbl from a full size Chevy. I want to get ram horn exhaust manifolds as the headers that are on it at the moment create WAY to much engine compartment heat. I tried to buy some ram horns from EBAY but the seller was not sure about which ram horns to sell me for this engine. I think the seller was too concerned with getting the OEM manifolds for this engine. I really don't care about OEM. As long as they bolt up I will deal with the rest. What I need to know is, is there a difference in exhaust port spacing and bolt/stud pattern between 350s, 327s, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have the cruiser parked because the headers are melting the wiring.

2. jhaha

jhaha

Should be the same block, so same bolt pattern. Somebody back me up though.

3. secretagent

secretagent

as far as i know all SBC are the same as far as exhaust manifolds. should fit without a prob.

4. Hossdog

Hossdog

Yes, they are pretty much the same, until you hit later years. I just bought some BRAND NEW center dump rams horn manifolds off the internet for $85 each. All nice and painted up too. The main question for the rams horns is if you want 2 inch exhaust or 2 1/2 inch. You can get the 2 1/2 off of 70's vettes but they cost a a little more, like $20 - $30 bucks ea.

5. Mendocino

Mendocino

Hossdog,

Can you post the link to the site where you bought the ram horns?

Thanks,

Jeff :beer:

6. Hossdog

Hossdog

Automotive Parts Network.....SKU#327159...hope thats what 'cha need!

7. chief

chief

Most all of the sbc exhast manifolds bolt up to the same bolt pattern. Inthe 80s some have an extended bolt hole at the left rear. the rams horns will bolt up to any sbc before Vortec. Some of the rams horn have vertical exits and some have an angled exit.

8. Mendocino

Mendocino

Thanks Chief!

9. thewatergoblin

thewatergoblin

Rams horns off of any small block that was factory 4bbl, like the 3/4 ton trucks, etc. will be the same as off the vette. Ive got a set, all cleaned up, sand blasted, and new bolts in the bottom. I gave 50.00 for the set, if it will help anyone, ill take my money back. I went with block huggers and a 4.3 starter, and Im really pleased with them, so dont need the rams horns.

10. Vortec_Cruiser

Vortec_Cruiser

Ram horns will also bolt up to 5.7L Vortecs, 1996 thru 2000.

11. dgangle

dgangle total rice

If you are patient and look around here and other forums, they will pop up periodically. I recently found a set exactly like the ones I have in use to have for spares for $25.

No time and have money? Go to your freindly local GM dealer and order whatever you want from the GM performance catalog. I was told they are around $100/each new form GM.

I have found that when buying anything used you really need to do your homework. You can't rely on someone's expert advice that is trying to sell you something. Dishonest or just plain stupid people are a dime a dozen.

12. thewatergoblin

thewatergoblin

dgangle, I hope that stupid ass comment wasnt directed at me!

13. Mendocino

Mendocino

So what about block huggers in stead of ram horns? Summit racing has ceramic coated block huggers for ~$200. Is there a big performance boost with the block huggers? As long as the block huggers do not get real hot I would rather get the improved performance (assuming there is some).

14. dgangle

dgangle total rice

I don't understand your anger. My point was that one can buy the manifolds new or find them used but one needs to know what you're looking for if going the used route. Oftentimes some people's intent can be suspect if they have the chance of making money from recomending something they are not sure about. I have been there and it cost me money.

You took my post the wrong way. I was not saying you are dishonest or dumb. Good way to make friends, noob.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  15. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    They will even bolt to the Vortec 5.0 and 5.7, the only small block they won't work on is the LT1 and some of the exotic heads that came mostly on Vettes.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/show...ghlight=exhaust

Butch

16. thewatergoblin

thewatergoblin

Sorry man, my bad, all is forgot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.