SBC Power Steering and Belt Accessory Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, a previous owner did a Chevy engine swap with saginaw steering. Lots of the accessory brackets were home brew and not really right, so I want to replace everything and start over. Also on my to-do list is installing a sniper FI kit along with an entire new wiring harness. Apologies most of these questions are chevy related, but I figured the belt selections will be reduced due to the battery mount location and needing a super tight power steering bracket to avoid the saginaw box.

Here is what I have:
- Short water pump
- I have a york compressor, not pictured. Would likely benefit from a refurb.
- My power steering pump is leaking, so needing to replace that
- I am considering switching to a single wire alternator, just for wiring simplicity sake
- The power steering mount has to be super tight to the block due to the inboard mounted saginaw steering box.
- triple groove crank pulley
- I am looking to stay under $800.

Here are my questions, any opinions appreciated:
1) Are belt mounted compressors still worth doing, or has electric taken over? I was leaning towards ditching the york compressor and just running a small air compressor elsewhere.

2) Is there a specific plug and play belt accessory system anyone would recommend? Or on the contrary, stay away from?

3) Are there any specific power steering pump brackets you'd recommend for a SWP, and keeping it close and tight to the block?

4) For offroad rigs, is there any benefit to switching to the type II power steering boxes?

5) Has anyone used CVF for belt accessories? I wasn't sure if they were return friendly if I had fitment issues?

6) Stick with v-belt or switch to serpentine?

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

What is the purpose of the air compressor? ARB, fill the tires, air tools? What do you mean inboard steering box?
I think the short wp was an early design along with the alt over the drivers valve cover. It was used when the heads didn't have holes for accessories. It appears your sbc is a newer style with center bolt valve covers and provisions for accessories and would of had a long water pump. A couple of stk options would be find a stk complete v belt set up off of a sbc with the long wp. , or pulling a stk serpentine set up off of a later model sbc.

I use ICT brackets on mine . Also I highly recommend going with the Sniper 2 over the 1. I have a 1 I will make you a killer deal on if you are set on a 1

IMG_5641.jpeg

IMG_5642.jpeg

IMG_5643.jpeg

IMG_5555.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

X2 on switching to a long water pump.

I’d keep the York. I’ve had one 5/8”+ shaft sheer off on an electric and I don’t particularly trust them anymore.

Sticking with V-belt would be way easier than trying to reinvent the wheel and use a serpentine belt. They are simple and work.

If your alternator is over 100 amps I’d recommend dual v-belts or serpentine. My 120 amp alternator on a single v-belt tends to chew up belts faster than normal… but it works awesome.

As for the alt wiring, I'd do the 3 wire.
20230914_091338.jpg

What is the purpose of the air compressor? ARB, fill the tires, air tools? What do you mean inboard steering box?
I think the short wp was an early design along with the alt over the drivers valve cover. It was used when the heads didn't have holes for accessories. It appears your sbc is a newer style with center bolt valve covers and provisions for accessories and would of had a long water pump. A couple of stk options would be find a stk complete v belt set up off of a sbc with the long wp. , or pulling a stk serpentine set up off of a later model sbc.

Yeah mainly for the ARB's and to refill tires at the end of wheeling. By inboard I mean the steering shaft and steering box are all on the inside of the frame.

I use ICT brackets on mine . Also I highly recommend going with the Sniper 2 over the 1. I have a 1 I will make you a killer deal on if you are set on a 1

View attachment 3443838

View attachment 3443839

View attachment 3443840

Oh man I just let a whole bunch of 4 letter words out since this is the first time I'm hearing about Sniper 2. I've had a sniper 1 kit sitting in a box for a year now hoping it would motivate me to get the job done.

Thanks for your reply but now I have even more questions for ya.
- Where is your battery, is that it mounted up along the pass side firewall?
- It looks like you have the Type II power steering pump. Any opinion if it's better or worse than the original saginaw style?
- is yours a SWP or long? Interesting that you alternator fits infront of the valve cover like that, I'm assuming it's long wp.
- what brake master cylinder is that? I have some bast*rdized thing in mine that I wouldn't mind swapping out while I'm cleaning up the firewall.
- what fuel delivery system did you go with. The external fuel pump, if so any overheating issues?
- what were some of the reasons you went sniper 2 over the 1? I just read about it, the only thing that peaks my interest is the "better rfi protection" blurb.

I guess you're steering box is out frt between the bumper and frt crossmember. If so, that's very common and typically works with the sbc accessories. I've been running the basic ARB compressor since the mid 90's with no real problems, on my other 40. It is slow when filling tires. I think there maybe better options if you want something quicker. I have several yorks and have wanted to adapt one to the sbc decades but has never been a priority. I run factory V belt accessories.
20230408_025115.jpg
20230408_024959.jpg

Last edited:
I guess you're steering box is out frt between the bumper and frt crossmember. If so, that's very common and typically works with the sbc accessories. I've been running the basic ARB compressor since the mid 90's with no real problems, on my other 40. It is slow when filling tires. I think there maybe better options if you want something quicker. I have several yorks and have wanted to adapt one to the sbc decades but has never been a priority. I run factory V belt accessories.
View attachment 3444404View attachment 3444405
Toyota steering box?

I’ve been running one of these for almost three decades…
IMG_5209.jpeg

I traded an hour helping for it and it was a direct bolt on. It has an inferior oiling system to York’s. Even still, it works great so long as I don’t pretend it’s a shop compressor. I’ve got it hot enough 2-3 times that it has stopped spinning and squealed the belt. When driving a dual action sander, I ran a garden hose to it with running water to keep it from melting.

Now if this “inferior” A6 compressor can survive almost 30 years of use and abuse, just imagine how well a “superior” York compressor would stand up. In contrast I’ve worn out two 12v compressor. The cheaper one lasted 2-3 years, and the midrange one lasted about 5-7 years. I’d take engine driven over 12v electric any day of the week.

Yeah mainly for the ARB's and to refill tires at the end of wheeling. By inboard I mean the steering shaft and steering box are all on the inside of the frame.

Oh man I just let a whole bunch of 4 letter words out since this is the first time I'm hearing about Sniper 2. I've had a sniper 1 kit sitting in a box for a year now hoping it would motivate me to get the job done.

Thanks for your reply but now I have even more questions for ya.
- Where is your battery, is that it mounted up along the pass side firewall?
- It looks like you have the Type II power steering pump. Any opinion if it's better or worse than the original saginaw style?
- is yours a SWP or long? Interesting that you alternator fits infront of the valve cover like that, I'm assuming it's long wp.
- what brake master cylinder is that? I have some bast*rdized thing in mine that I wouldn't mind swapping out while I'm cleaning up the firewall.
- what fuel delivery system did you go with. The external fuel pump, if so any overheating issues?
- what were some of the reasons you went sniper 2 over the 1? I just read about it, the only thing that peaks my interest is the "better rfi protection" blurb.
Yes my battery is up on the Pass side . I may move it when i figure out a good spot so i can put my heater back in. At the time i never thought i would be using it othger than in the summer .
I have a PSC p-pump and yes it works really well
My water Pump is long
I run a Non ABS FJ 80 master mounted to a JT outfitter adapter 3 bolts to 4 Bolts . I also have the Adapter to add a Booster but have not tried that yet .
I have the Returnless system . My pump is mounted in tank .
Oh gezz here we go lol. When i installed the Sniper 1 everything was OK kinda . I had never driven this so i really had no idea how it was supposed to drive but i always felt it was down on power for what i thought it should have and it Burned Fuel like it was free . When i was down doing Fordyce somehow my Starter came lose and that upset the sniper . ( This turned out to kinda a blessin in disguise ) Because i noticed the sniper was dumping fuel out of my secondarys :hmm: . I had the progressive linkage so there should be no fuel coing out the secondarys until 40 percent throttle . I also noticed i only had 1 primary injector firing . It was then i started to really learn about the Sniper 1 . I called Holley and explained what was going on and the tech said i could send it back and they would fix it . Or he cant tell me but i could go on you tube and see how to fix it :doh: . I then started learning about the known and common issues with the Sniper 1 . The injector wires are very common for coming lose . Mine turned out to be a bad injector . The fuel pressure regulator on the Black sniper is common to have issues :bang: Because the powder coat comes off and clogs the regulator :vomit:. ( I had put a gauge on mine and it was reading 100 + psi )its supposed to be 60 psi ) so i changed the regulator . When i took the cover off it did not even have the correct O-rings . And i learned that for my system i did not even Need that regulator as my Regulator is actually on my Fuel pump . At this point i was kinda over the Sniper and having to work and rebuild my Brand New system and also that they had come out with the Sniper 2 that fixed all these issues . I called Summit and explained all the issues i had had and they sent me a Brand new System . Once i had then new system i thought HMM let them sell this new system to someone else i will just exchange it and get the Sniper 2 so i went to Summit and returned it and bought the Sniper 2 At that time they did not have a returnless system yet But i still had the pump from the first Unit so i just needed the Throttle body . When i installed the Sniper 2 there where a few things that i needed to adress . A) my throttle cable mount . TheSniper 2 is narrower so my only mount would not work . I may have been able to McGiver it but not what i want . B) the Sniper 2 wire harness is differerent and since i had the Hyperspark CD ignition , Coil and Distributor it would not plug into those . Holley sent me a New Harness . They sell this now . after installing the Sniper 2 it ran great BUT it would go lean if i got on the throttle hard . I noticed my Gauge dropping when i would get on it . It was not getting enough Fuel . so i changed the filter Same . Holley sent me a new Pump . and a New Regulator . I installed the new regulator ( was still waiting on the pump ) and when i had the pump out i tried some things with it and the Pump was Fine . What i found was the the Strainer even though it looked good i could hardly blow through . We found the problem !!!! I put a new strainer on and everything is great . Holley has been Great but its been a slow process as they send a little at a time . I now have a Brand new Pump as a spare 2 new Strainers and 2 new Pressure regulators Holley has sent me . I even have my original wire harness that i took apart and it works with the Sniper 2 i just have 1 wire that is Pink instead of Red like the new one they sent me . The Sniper 2 has been great it runs great and has the power more like i always thougt it should have . Can a Sniper 1 be ok ? sure But they have alot of known issues and i just happened to get all of them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom