69 FJ40 horn help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to get this horn to work, but I think I'm missing a part. The spacer between the seat and the spring.
1688600568086.png

It's the part labeled 45155. Does anyone have one of these? I tested the ring contact at the top to the where the wire comes out in the bottom and it has continuity. When I assembled what I have back together the horn button is tight and has no spring to it. Is that what that spacer is supposed to do. Also, the horns are don't work. Not sure if it's the button or the horns themselves.

IMG_0863.JPG

You can check the horn directly with 12 volts or if you rig uses a relay, via the relay.
Then extend that test to the wire coming up the steering column, I believe that is a ground.
Grab your circuit diagram and just be methodical.

You can check the horn directly with 12 volts or if you rig uses a relay, via the relay.
Then extend that test to the wire coming up the steering column, I believe that is a ground.
Grab your circuit diagram and just be methodical.
I actually have an aftermarket, ez wiring, kit in this rig. Could I just hook up a wire to the horn directly to see if it's even working?

If it's the kind of horn that requires a relay you can test it with straight power but it will usually make an initial sound and stop dead, almost like a chirp. If it does that you will most likely need a horn relay which I think was originally mounted on the inside of a front fender.

If it's the kind of horn that requires a relay you can test it with straight power but it will usually make an initial sound and stop dead, almost like a chirp. If it does that you will most likely need a horn relay which I think was originally mounted on the inside of a front fender.
The harness I'm using has a horn relay built into it. I will try a direct wire to see if anything happens.

I actually have an aftermarket, ez wiring, kit in this rig. Could I just hook up a wire to the horn directly to see if it's even working?
Looks like you have a known issue with the switch. Once that's fixed it should work.

The horn has two wires. One is ground and the other is +12v.
Some horns are grounded through the mounting bolt but not mine at least.
Apply power across it. It goes beep. Very easy to test.

Disconnect the harness wire from it beforehand just in case. If it doesn't beep when you put 12v across it then try cleaning it and tapping it.

The relay is just there to switch polarity to avoid having two wires into the steering wheel - it goes click when you push the horn button and sends power through to the horn. If it doesn't click then check you have 12v at the relay connector. I'd be surprised if the relay was dead but it can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom