Rain Gutter and Top Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyway, overall it looks a lot better. There was a hole in the fiberglass that needed to be repaired.

My headliner self inflicted damage was patched to be nearly invisible.

DSCN0394 - Copy.JPG

DSCN0626.JPG

DSCN0627.JPG

Slowly with the roof – first up is the visor – was not riveted to the roof. And metal mite activity present. I’ve never welded, so this Dark Arts stuff.

Decided to use my only defense against the Dark Arts…. My checkbook.

They chem dipped to strip paint, welded some metal, primed it, handed me a bill, and abracadabra … the parts back.

Now on to a) sand and paint b) look at how I want to fasten this back (I’m interested in the binding barrels and Screws vs 7 rivets - any thoughts or experience out there?) to the roof at the proper angle c) look at a welding class at the community college so I can then be a Pro d) take on the roof rail and dig into that rust as a Pro.

IMG_9066.jpg

20230331_090654.JPG

20230424_162602.JPG

20230502_150351.JPG

When I re-did my roof I went to West Marine and discussed with them the roof and the gel coat - mine had tons of fissures too. They suggested this stuff. It has held up extremely well. Then I used that appliance epoxy spray paint over it and looks great.

2bfb0dd9-704b-4751-8ad9-556be88db337-jpeg.1557180

Went to my local paint store to see if I could get the T-403 Lily White for my top and bezel. Turns out they can make it using PPG Omni 2 stage.

If I wanted to go the non-oem Dupont LS123 or LS122, I could do that too. Yes, the LS122 looks really close to the T-403. The LS123 is a bit darker.

I will likely go for the T-403 though. That is the OEM color for my '67.

I don't need a gallon so the formula will be different, but at least y'all have the color codes for early tops.

IMG_4065.jpg
IMG_4067.jpg
IMG_4069.JPG

Getting really close. I picked out a color, and it's with the painter. This morning he blocked it with 180 grit and laid down 2 coats of polyester primer. 2k primer and then paint this Thursday. He is a solid dude and has a pro paint booth in his shop. Really glad I went with this guy.

IMG_3317.jpeg
IMG_3318.jpeg
IMG_3319.jpeg
IMG_3320.jpeg

Picked up the top and bezel today. I am happy with the white I picked out. I considered the other white colors I have seen on other threads, but they were either too tan or too bright white. I went with Toyota 068 Polar White. It went well with the body color, in my opinion.

The headliner has been in its original packaging for almost a year. Unfortunately, I think the creases are permanent now. I let it sit in direct sunlight all day with very little improvement. Oh well, I am going to run with it.

IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

If you don't have a steamer or steam iron, you can put a damp clean cloth over a crease and place a hot iron on the cloth. It will create steam and hopefully remove the crease. Or, Harbor Freight carries a steamer at a little over $125.
I bought one years ago from some kiosk in the mall. The beautiful lady selling these Italian steamers convinced me I would need it. I’ve used it twice. Today will be the third.

Ok, so my excitement was short-lived. I went to lay down the liner (before gluing it down), and it will not work in the rear corners. The cut angle of the seams will not allow the liner to lay down flat. Like not even close. I did shift the liner side to side to make sure it was dead center(not in these photos), bit still caused too much puckering.

I purchased it from CruiserCorps a year ago and didn't take it out of the box until just the other day. I suppose I should try reaching out to them because this thing wasn't cheap.

@zerotreedelta hate to ask, can you measure the distance between the seam points begin on your liner?

IMG_4225.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4232.JPG

Point to point on the seam was 51", and each seam pointed right at that corner screw hole.

Mine was via Specter/SOR, they had a sale at the time if I recall. I used two of the bigger cans of 3M headliner, and one of the small (6" wide?) foam paintrollers to avoid getting finger-presses or pinches/folds while rolling it back.

PXL_20230604_224913539.MP.jpg

Point to point on the seam was 51", and each seam pointed right at that corner screw hole.

Mine was via Specter/SOR, they had a sale at the time if I recall. I used two of the bigger cans of 3M headliner, and one of the small (6" wide?) foam paintrollers to avoid getting finger-presses or pinches/folds while rolling it back.

Very helpful... like your videos! I must have watched them about 10x. The other day I was streaming from my laptop to my TV you installing your top. My wife just rolled her eyes at me, and then she sat down and watched the whole thing with me. She was riveted!

Based on the starting and end points, my headliner would require some altering. Essentially I would need to separate the seam and then patch it with a little bit of extra material scraps. Hopefully, CruiserCorps will help me out and send me a new one. Otherwise, I can make this one do, or just go with the SOR one.

Thanks again1

My wife just rolled her eyes at me
Behind every man is a woman rolling her eyes!

Riveted... nice (I love puns etc). I am sure your have other jokes about building your roof out, and you're still working on it. :rolleyes:🤙

Totally separate note and not trying to sound creepy. Been following your progress and I am at the early stages of restoration with mine - well I get sidetracked. Anyway - hot out, saw your paint job posting a couple days ago. Thinking about how your resto is turning out as I am shopping for some beer and saw Knee Deep which is by you given your location. So I bought some because of that. (Plus I drink that, and others, when I travel to Davis).

Cheers and thanks

IMG_0947.jpg

Headliner is in, and the top will go on tonight. Ran into some issues with the Cruiser Corps headliner. The rear seams were cut with no curvature and no matter how much I tried, there was no way to lay the headliner smoothly without a lump of fabric. I reached out to their customer service, and they were nice, but I was told they had the same in-house seamstress the whole time but didn't offer a resolution. Well, maybe I had a bad one. I am not sure. They are a still a good vendor, though.

Anyhow, I ended up splitting the seam and patching it. It doesn't look bad, but doesn't look great, either. At this point, I am not willing to buy another headlisner. I need the dinero for upgrading to vented rotors and calipers.

IMG_4263.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom