Raffle Rig Trail Ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took the Rig out today for its first trail ride now that Uwharrie Nat'l Forest is open for the season. Ran into a problem though. Got about 1/4 down the trail to the first rocky challenging part and went after it. 4wd is not working. I am relatively unfamiliar with the 62 set up. Tried everything we could, bagged the day and came home.
1-hubs were locked
2-button pushed in and 4wd light was on
3-tried both 2 and 4 lo
4-Driveshaft spinning but front tires will not engage?
5-Could hear a clicking noise but just wasnt catching.
6-not sure if this was part of it but brakes became almost non functioning while i 4wd was supposedly on. they were ok again once it was off.

did a "mud search" found where solenoids, vaccum leaks, and a diaphragm all could be the culprits!? Where to start?

can anyone help?

while in park and the fwd button engaged hubs unlocked will the front driveshaft turn? if it doesn't spin then the tcase is working fine. if it spins then look more into the tcase

disengage 4wd, lock the hubs and try to spin the driveshaft. if the it doesn't spin then hubs are working fine. if it does spin pull the hubs and grease them.

I bet it is a hub problem. Time to break out the wrenches:wrench:

Thats what you get with a "free" rig. :flipoff2:

It will be an easy fix. I am just jealous I didn't win.

Dynosoar:zilla:

I'm not super familiar with how 4wd is engaged on a 62 so I'm talking a little out my hiney here (and my hiney is ugly!). I think on your rig vacuum is used to shift the t-case. If you have a big vacuum leak between the switch and the shifting mechanism, that might also cause you to loose vacuum assist for braking?

Just a guess. Good luck!
Butt

if the brakes were affected it sounds like it could be a vacuum issue. if the hubs are locked the tires will turn the d-shaft regardless of if it has power. check for vacuum leaks first then make sure the vacuum lines are "plumbed" as they are supposed to be. the 4wd solenoid seems to be working (or at least doing something) if changes are noticeable when the button is pushed. strange...

just went outside to try the suggestions. By the way I really appreciate it.

Weaklink-with 4wd button in/light on and hubs unlocked shaft will spin, with hubs locked shaft wiggles a little but will not make a rotation more than about an inch either way at most, is that normal?

Solenoid-Must be working because light comes on. I did swap the two vaccum hoses to see if that would kick in the 4wd power and it didnt but you could hear air being pulled in when the hoses were removed.

Hubs-I believe they were rebuilt when truck was rebuilt by rising sun guys so they should be in great shape.

Vaccum leaks-how do you identify them? I dont see any visible bad connections or torn hoses but is there a specific way to look?

What now? does it sound like its moving towards a t-case issue?

while the rig is running engage 4wd and start pulling vacuum lines associated with the 4wd system and see if you can feel the suction.

pull a line that goes to the tcase and suck on it to see if it holds vacuum.

wait...do 62's use the vacuum to disengage 4wd or engage it... i can't remember?

when the t-case engages will i hear it while i am pulling all of these hoses and checking for vaccum. Rig has a snorkel for air intake too but all connections to that look tight as well.

while the rig is running you should be able to hear it engage if you pull the lines at the tcase.

snorkel has nothing to do with it, those are just breather lines.

Isn't the 4wd light is lit by the 4wd indicator switch at the side of the xfer case?
If the light is coming on, then the vacuum should be getting to the diaphragm which is in turn moving the shift link lever to engage the front drive shaft.
Could the shoe in the diaphragm assembly be moving enough to engage the indicator light, but not enough to fully engage the xfer???

Just observations from the peanut gallery.

It is a good thing I didn't win that rig. I would have taken all the fun parts off of it and put them on my 60... and then sold it. :p

Good luck figuring out what is up with it.

wait...do 62's use the vacuum to disengage 4wd or engage it... i can't remember?
Both per this thread (post#15)

Because your brake symptoms occur only when the 4wd button is pushed and light indicating it's engaged, I still think you have a vacuum issue. Probably the diaphram assembly.

Isn't the 4wd light is lit by the 4wd indicator switch at the side of the xfer case?
If the light is coming on, then the vacuum should be getting to the diaphragm which is in turn moving the shift link lever to engage the front drive shaft.
Could the shoe in the diaphragm assembly be moving enough to engage the indicator light, but not enough to fully engage the xfer???
Maybe.... someone have an answer for this?

Here's lowtideride's mod to convert to manual t-case shift and eliminate this source of frustration:)

Butt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom