This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
Call me old school but I really like hearing the radio in the mornings with the news. does anybody have any Non dash cutting solutions to having a fm am radio in a 1964 fj40? I dont want to do the bluetooth thing (I already have it and dont like it) If you do have a good solution please post a picture. Hidden or unhidden. Sombody already installed a antenna in my 40 at least and I do have a bezel that was bolted under the dash before I got it for some sort of radio.

You could install a radio in the "pocket" or install a Tuffy center console and mount a radio there.
No tuffy center console for me. I just reupolstered the 60/40 front bench seats. I am not sure what you mean about in the pocket I dont have a factory radio spot being that its a 1964. Thanks for the reply though. Just trying to get non invasive ideas about a radio.

No tuffy center console for me. I just reupolstered the 60/40 front bench seats. I am not sure what you mean about in the pocket I dont have a factory radio spot being that its a 1964. Thanks for the reply though. Just trying to get non invasive ideas about a radio.
I was looking at these guys for my '77:
1695224084822.png

Kind of spendy, but...

The old 40s used a bent sheetmetal bracket under the dash.

I have a small 2 channel amp mounted in the glove compartment with some outdoor speakers…. Listen to music through my phone
This can all be done pretty cheap too - I excel at cheap! 🤣

Edit: no Bluetooth used with this setup……

Last edited:
I don't have the factory literature here but Toyota offered an AM radio thru their dealers in the 1960s. It was mounted under the dash left of the steering wheel. While I would like a modern radio in my 73 which does have a radio opening not one who would ever use downloaded music off of a cell phone. Now if someone made a CD changer that was Bluetooth I could use with a retro radio in the standard size radio opening I would go that route. I have a later 40 with a hacked up opening will go with a 3rd gen 4Runner radio with the radio cassette player. Then remote the CD changer in the glovebox.

I did a very basic install of a period Japanese Sanyo Continental AM/FM using hardware store angle brackets to OE holes -

Screenshot_20230920_195248_Photos.jpg

This was while I was testing the setup before hiding wires it but gives the idea and works quite well enough, even on the open road with the F155 humming in this '72.

Don't have direct knowledge of this unit but research seems that it may be something to consider. Memphis Audio SMC2A. Hidden box and can be controlled by your cell phone. Looks small enough to hide in the glovebox or even under a seat. Being a marine unit means that if it does get exposed to water it won't be harmed.

How about under the middle seat?
I was thinking of building a small pull out drawer under mine that could fit the radio sitting vertical, so it's hidden normally, but easily accessible when you want it.

When did listening to music become so difficult?
Get in the car, press the knob, music comes out.
Whoever thought that waiting for software to load was an improvement?

I was thinking of building a small pull out drawer under mine that could fit the radio sitting vertical, so it's hidden normally, but easily accessible when you want it.

RIght! I hate using my phone through a blue tooth thing. I like that Idea!

The people selling downloads...

It's been there for decades. I'm not sure it's safe to put a cassette in it anymore.
20230920_170105.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom