Radio RJ45 connector on radio panel? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a simple radio for my truck, something hidden and out of the way when not in use, the Motorola MXT275 15 watt, is what I’m looking at for trail use and maybe additional backup short range communication.

Has anyone thought about install a pass thru plug in this location? Any info if even possible? I’ve seen some from lighthorse that look like something I would like. Some stock web pics attached

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2536.png

I would do this and replace cigarette lighter, much easier than messing with climate panel...

You can also use one of these, which has a rubber plug to keep junk out of the ethernet jack when the handset isn't plugged in. It's the type I'm using for my MTX. You can mount the MTX anywhere and just run a basic ethernet cable to the jack. Note that the MTX has the speaker on the bottom, so you may need to also mount a remote speaker somewhere if the MTX is really hidden.

You can also use one of these, which has a rubber plug to keep junk out of the ethernet jack when the handset isn't plugged in. It's the type I'm using for my MTX. You can mount the MTX anywhere and just run a basic ethernet cable to the jack. Note that the MTX has the speaker on the bottom, so you may need to also mount a remote speaker somewhere if the MTX is really hidden.

While MTX275 has a speaker on the bottom, you can use handset speaker instead via a setting. Or both.

While MTX275 has a speaker on the bottom, you can use handset speaker instead via a setting. Or both.
Thanks and you are right after reviewing the manual! Maybe my efforts to mount an external due to the unit being in my DVD player cubby were overkill.
20240106_180249.jpg

Looking to buy a simple radio for my truck, something hidden and out of the way when not in use, the Motorola MXT275 15 watt, is what I’m looking at for trail use and maybe additional backup short range communication.

Has anyone thought about install a pass thru plug in this location? Any info if even possible? I’ve seen some from lighthorse that look like something I would like. Some stock web pics attached

View attachment 3529766

View attachment 3529769

View attachment 3529770
You won't be able to install that rj45 pass through in the circled switch blank since there is a circuit board behind it.

I put a pass through for my mic in the panel between the 12v outlets. This route does require drilling a hole which I know some folks are against.
1704985083823.png

Does the handset speaker option work well? Was planning on hiding the base unit, or is it possible to tie into the radio speakers?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom