radio location 74 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I am installing a radio in a fj40 1974 where is a good / secure spot? I Hear that is I but a tuffy console it may / will leak. Is that true? What other suggestions do you have? Any genuis installations that I am not considering? I have wire cutters, soldering gun, beer, and time. I imagine the best access for power is fuse box. Thanks again.

i put mine on the front bevel of the stock center console with a U bracket. mine is a '77 though. don't remember if '74 has same console. i ran power from the cig lighter and the whole thing pulls out in less than 1 minute. there is a spade or 2 off the fuse block on firewall side that is great for running accesories if that's the route you want to take. probably a bit too simple for what you want, but works great for me.

Only place I could find a stock speaker was on the right hand side, under the dash attached to the right side of the globebox. I found a little 4x6 there when I was painting.

On my '78 I cut out where old AM radio used to go and put it there. PO had it in the glovebox and that was a pain the ass (tough to reach over that far, always dusty and always bounced around).

268833_21_full.jpg

HTH

:doh: oops, i was thinking CB radio. :rolleyes: my STEREO never worked so i pulled it. there's a factory hole exactly like the above picture. at least the "tabs on the fuse block" advise still applies. :D

Mine had the stock AM radio in the dash, with a hole already there. Widened the hole approx. .25" on either side and cleaned out the corners to fit a standard Alpine flip out screen head unit. If you center the hole you make, the lower dash pads will just lap over the sides, looking quite stock. The stock single speaker location was either inside the PS of the glove box('74) or on later models mounted facing down to the floor under the dash next to the PS of the glove box. Crappy place to put a speaker. I picked up two weatherproof Boston Acoustics patio type speakers and mounted them to the roll bar behing the jump seats. Works great. If I had to do it over again, I would use a Tuffy console for the cd player, and put a small CB or original AM in the stock hole, I don't like cutting where I don't have to. The problem with a Tuffy is taht it is hard to watch the road and change stations etc..

i've been wanting to put a stereo in the cruiser, but i wasn't sure how much i was gonna have to spend just to be able to hear it over the road noise. i'm not going for something overly loud, that's not my style, i just want to be able to hear it at WOT on swampers

I Like the stereo in the dash in the stock location and the CB radio overhead mounted in the middle where neither the driver or the passenger can hit their head. You can reach the microphone from both sides of the vehicle and don't need to take your eyes of the trail to grab the mic.

I did a Tuffy and used Bose 151 speakers mounted to the roll bar
see this
http://69.61.14.149/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5996

my other 82 came with a CD player in the glove box, it's a PITA to use, but out of the elements I guess and out of the eyes of theifs.

What would work good would be mount the CD player in glove box and use a corded remote, wireless won't work worth a darn IMOP. This is what I'm gonna do, take the CD out of the mustard 82 and put it in my fj60, get new head unit that is corded remote capitible and put it in the glove box.

One thing I REALLY hate about the PO's speakers in the door panels is they are 6" and stick out too far, when I get out of the 40 they act like cheese grater and take a chunk of of my knee! On my green 82 I used 4" MB Quartz and they work MUCH better.

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom