Radio install trouble. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, Ok my problem lies in the wiring of the radio. I am trying to install a cd player on a 95 LC, I checked with Circuit city and Best buy and no one makes a wiring harness that will connect to the factory plug that is in the back of the stock radio. They both said that i have to find the stock amp and connect the plug to that. I found something that looks like the amp, but the two plugs in that I cannot use because they also dont fit. Does anyone know what to do or where I can find the stock amp. What I am trying to avoid is having to cut wires. I still want to be able to put the factory unit back in.

Help,
Bryan

Bryan, (NOTE, THERE ARE NOT CONNECTORS THAT NEED TO BE JUMPED AT THE AMP TO MAKE THE OTHER SET OF CONNECTORS BEHIND THE RADIO LIVE. MY STATEMENT BELOW IS INACCURATE IN THAT REGARD. )
 The amp is in the dash at the extreme RH corner. Remove the glovebox and you will see it to the right of the opening. It has two female connectors plugged into the side. In the same area you will see two male connectors in the harness that sway in the breeze. If you unplug the amp and stick the connectors into the loose ones you will make the standard connectors behind the radio "live" You should be able to find an aftermarket adapter that will fit those. As I am a factory sort of guy I can't tell you where to shop but I bet somebody else can..............

Man, I'm parched after that one :beer:  Dan

Don't know about your specific question, but I have a reciept from Circuit City(Portland, OR), from an aftermarket double-din JVC that was put in a month before I bought my LC. They did have the right and left rear speakers backwards, and I took it in to get fixed under warranty. They fixed it and said they had just switched the wires around. All this to say, it sounds like it was a "custom" harness that they made up, usually takes about 5 minutes, and cost ~$15 if you can get a shop to do it for you. I do not know if it was plugged in to the stereo harness or amp.

:D There is a common adapter which will plumb your head unit into the speakers. Is it a high power unit? -then you need to bypass the amp, connecting downstream from it or else you will get really bad clipping (distortion). Mine was done by Ultimate Electronics but they are a S.W. chain. Any decent experienced shop should be able to source the adapter for you- :beer: :beer:

ok here's my delema. I have this box thing with i am guessing is the amp. I cannot find the other two female connectors that sway in the breeze actually there are no connectors that sway in the breeze by the amp. Where the radio was there are 2 connectors (grey) and the white one was plugged into the radio. ARRGG. what now?

-Bryan

here is the amp

Bryan,

I think I can help you out here. You just need a wiring harness (adapter) that is for Toyota's in our year. It took me awhile to figure this out, but the reason for those connectors you have hanging is that there was two radio options for our LC's, the (premium setup with the nine speakers and junk amps) and also a (less premium setup without all the speakers or amps) rather then having two seperate wiring harnesses for the LC, Toyota decided to use one universal harness and then give you the option behind the radio. If that makes sense. You should be able to get the adapter you need from Best buy/Circuit city (Not custom) I believe you will then use the GRAY connectors you have there, not the white one. The white one is for the premium amp system, the gray ones are for a more standard stereo or after market and I think the two grays are one for rear, the other is front and power. I have the electrical book on the LC, that is how I figured it out the first time. Let me know if you need any more info or some pics from the book.

Yomama

Todd,

I agree. I ammended my previous statment to reflect that. I wonder though, why would you not want to unplug the amp inputs and outputs. I would think one would be powering something that isn't doing anthing. :dunno:

CD,

Nope the way it is setup is the White plug goes to the amps and powers them, the Gray plugs go directly to the speakers.

Yomama

Yomama, You da bomb! Thanks to everyone. :D It sounds alot better in my truck now. Circuit city had no idea what I was talking about, but I went to best buy and suprisingly I was in there for about 30 sec. and on my way home again. Hooked up the wires and connected the stuff and now its beutimus. Thanks for the help guys!

-Bryan

P.S. The cb radio is going to fill the gap. That should be here tommrow.

Bryan,
No DCH?! Call Christo today. How in the world can anyone get by without it....
-B-

55620-60010........Lists for $55.04 8)

Dont worry thats next on my list. not having a cup holder blows. In the summer my crotch is always too cold and then I burn my self when its cold out.

55620-60010........Lists for $55.04   8)

Is that the cupholder or the fancy wood trim. :D

Not that I want either, actually. Hope you didn't pay much for that fancy stereo if you put the cupholder in. The one above the radio in my T-100 splashed coffee/pop/squishee all over the radio every time it hit a Michigan pothole.
It should be noted that I have no actual experience with the Cruiser cupholder, just talking out of my ass, as usual. :D

ummm radio harness thingy i'm guessing correct? By the way I love my new digital camera. Its so much fun. Anywho the pn is: ABMW-1761 Best buy has them for $16.99.

-Bryan

Oh yea and the wood trim gave me about 75 hp's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom