Radio bulb repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I've searched all over this site and found some great info on rehabbing my OEM 97 radio. I've already desoldered the display and replaced the bulbs that light up the long horizontal display. Now I want to fix some of the screw in type bulbs and I can't figure out how to get the old bulb out. Of all the threads I found, I couldn't find that part. Below are pics of the type of bulb I'm working on. Any tips are appreciated. Also, in case this helps someone else, here are the threads I've referenced the most.

Radio Bulb Roadmap

Fixed the CD player and LCD backlight

Massive Bulb Smackdown

Builds - My first 80 Series
radio bulb.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 12.54.10 PM.png

Nope, it's a bulb with wire leads that wrap around the base, sometimes referred as a "grain of wheat" bulb. There are several sizes and wattage, so finding the correct one can be a bit of a trick. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industri..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=CNJ8NVPMGC2MD90S6KG9

That one has a green colored condom on it.

I've got some in the mail that I found in one of the links in my original post. Any idea how to separate the bulb from the plastic housing? Thanks.

Just unwrap the leads and pull the bulb.
that's the part i can't figure out. any tips on how to free up the ends of the wires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom