Radiator Support Replacement Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my Rad Support due to rust issues in the left side and decided to do all the “while i’m in there” repairs including radiator, condenser, etc.

Anyways, when removing the radiator hoses, I collected as much coolant as I could into a container UNTIL i pulled the damn transmission hoses and the ATF spilled on to the container I was collecting the coolant on.
SO, now I have these questions:

- When I put the transmission cooler and hoses back, how should I go about the refill? How will I know how much ATF is enough?

- Now that my collected coolant container is contaminated with ATF. Should I do a radiator flush? Or just fill the coolant that is missing only? If flush is the right thing to do, any links that describe the process?

TIA

If you only lost the fluid that was in the cooler (1/2 liter or so) then you should be good to start her and top her up to the cold fill levels.

For the flush it depends on when you last did it. If it has never been done then have at it. I like to disconnect the hoses at the firewall to flush out the heater cores but that is pretty much as far as i am prepared to go. Im assuming the radiator is new and not just repaired. Most of the crud will be in the old radiator. I once weighed an old range rover radiator and compared it to the new replacement. It was over 1.5kg heavier... o_O

I replaced my Rad Support due to rust issues in the left side and decided to do all the “while i’m in there” repairs including radiator, condenser, etc.

Anyways, when removing the radiator hoses, I collected as much coolant as I could into a container UNTIL i pulled the damn transmission hoses and the ATF spilled on to the container I was collecting the coolant on.
SO, now I have these questions:

- When I put the transmission cooler and hoses back, how should I go about the refill? How will I know how much ATF is enough?

- Now that my collected coolant container is contaminated with ATF. Should I do a radiator flush? Or just fill the coolant that is missing only? If flush is the right thing to do, any links that describe the process?

TIA

Put the hoses back on and refill through the trans dipstick tube, if needed. Make sure to follow procedure for checking ATF level from FSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom