Radiator Replacement- Lend a Hand? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Gang, new to the area and my 94 cruiser needs of a new radiator. I am considering doing the work my self but was curious if anyone in the area is interested in lending a helping hand. I am relatively new to working on my rig and could use a little guidance to make sure I don't get stuck.

Has anyone swapped a radiator on an FZJ80? It seems pretty straight forward but could use some tips or guidance. I also have some questions about the exact radiator I should use. I believe my truck is a 94 but it has a build date of late 94 (Sept 1994) so I'm thinking it might be a 95. There appears to be a difference between the 94 and 95 so I am not sure which one I actually should get, the Koyo for the 95 is 1/2 the price so I'd like to go with it but want to be sure it fits! Going to post this on one of the specific threads on the topic too but wanted to see if there was any local experience.

I'm located in Kennesaw and the truck is still in driving shape, hoping to install the new radiator next weekend.

Thanks!

If it's anything like a mini truck it's less than a 1 :banana: job. Should be 4 bolts and 2 hose clamps.

Not sure about 1FZ trucks, but on a 3FE the fan and fan clutch have to be removed at the same time the shroud comes out, then rad bolts, coolant hoses and trans cooler lines and overflow and out it should come.

Is your dash rounded or more squared off? Do you have a passenger side airbag? If you dash looks like this:

20150517_150035.jpg

Its a 94, if not and it's more square, then its likely a 95.

Hth

Easy peasy job. Curious why it needs a radiator. I'll help if you need it.
The top plastic tank cracked and JB weld was not a sufficient fix

Not sure why the tank cracked other than it being old. There is no smoke at start so I'm hoping it's not a HG issue but on a few really cold mornings it has had a bit of a rough start, been trying to capture a video of it this week but it hasn't done it.

Anything else I should look out for?

Definitely plan to replace all the rubber coolant hoses in the near future. Other than that, pulling the radiator is straightforward, you'll want to have something to drain the coolant into.

Definitely plan to replace all the rubber coolant hoses in the near future. Other than that, pulling the radiator is straightforward, you'll want to have something to drain the coolant into.
Okay I'll probably order those now and do it all at the same time. What about the transmission cooler? Does it use a separate coolant? Should it be changed as well?

Also based on the dash it's a 94. Anyone know about using a 95-97 radiator in a 94? I found a post about going the other way so I assume it would be okay but I'm unsure about the mounting hardware etc.

The radiator has two small connections for the engine oil cooler, the transmission oil cooler is a separate radiator looking thing in front of the main radiator.

I'll send you the section of the fsm, it will make it super simple

The 1FZ may be different, but on both of mine the nipples on the bottom of the rad are for the transmission, and the little auxiliary cooler is for the trans too (they are in series). No oil cooler on my motors. Regardless, just a matter of unhooking the hoses and reconnecting to new rad and topping off trans fluid (or oil) to refill the system.

Isn't the 1FZ cooler bolted to the side of block, toward the front of the motor?

I went with the Koyo Radiator for a 95-97 model. Installed fine, the upper brackets had a slight bend to them so it didn't fit exactly like OEM but I was able to make it fit without to much work. Had to replace my battery too, not sure if it was dyeing or what but after being out of the truck for 24 hours it drained and even after a jump start and running for a good 30 minutes was completely dead so I put a new Interstate from Costco in it and she's running like a champ. Thanks @Pippylongsausage for the pdf of the FSM and for all those who provided input!

Cheers!
IMG_1496.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom