Radiator replacement, also radiator hoses - oem vs gates/napa (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Half the neck of my radiator disappeared and started leaking :(

1.) How do I make sure no chunks of plastic are in the engine. I'm assuming it would either be stuck in the radiator or the thermostat.

2. ) How do I get to lower radiator bolts out? Even with the shrowd detached and slid back you can't reach them. I can't see them from the bottom bc a support is there and from the top you don't have mutch room to rachet. Maybe 1.5" gap between the shrowd and the radiator down there. Did you use a rachet or wrench, or take off the fan and then shrowd? All I can find is gx470 YouTube videos to remove the radiator.

I would have to drive about an hour and a half to get parts at the nearest Lexus dealer pause. I don't really have time to wait for the shipping if I buy online.

Updated turns out all local shops have to order out of state also so Lexus dealer is the soonest for parts tomorrow.

FYI - I confirmed with the parts guy at Lexus that Denzo makes the OEM radiator. I ended up just buying everything from Lexus. After I told him the price of the radiator on RockAuto he gave me a discount on all the parts. I got a thermostat, upper and lower hose, 4 clamps, fluid, and a radiator for $540 which is a lot lower than $800 I have read about, and I get it all in tomorrow vs a week with everyone else. Still sucks, but I can't have the car down for a week.

Hose discussion/thoughts:
Tell me about the difference between OEM and aftermarket radiator hoses. I believe I read the gates makes the hoses for Napa I've also always heard that Napa has better quality parts. I'd like to get something today. I have a small leak

I could always get a $8 hose at some store and then order an oem online from the same place that I bought the crawl control buttons and stuff - that oemparts website just took 2 weeks for shipping though

IMG_20200714_120412750.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go with Plan B, get the $8 hose, get the OEM and put it in a place you won't forget where it is, and wait for the cheap one to fail (if it ever does).

I'd go with Plan B, get the $8 hose, get the OEM and put it in a place you won't forget where it is, and wait for the cheap one to fail (if it ever does).

I updated my OP about the radiator vs just hoses. I found a crack/half missing chunk in the upper neck. Is there a write up around or vid on radiator removals? I can get to the lower radiator bolts.

I updated my OP about the radiator vs just hoses. I found a crack/half missing chunk in the upper neck. Is there a write up around or vid on radiator removals? I can get to the lower radiator bolts.
Have checked the manuals thread: GX 460 Manuals ?
I believe the "Factory Manual" post #2 should have an exploded view of all the components, interior, exterior, drive train, etc.
Take a look and see if that helps.

Have checked the manuals thread: GX 460 Manuals ?
I believe the "Factory Manual" post #2 should have an exploded view of all the components, interior, exterior, drive train, etc.
Take a look and see if that helps.

Oh, cool didn't know they were on here.

That sucks manual shows removing the fan. :bang:

The video for the 470 doesn't show removing the fan.

I think that fan is just held on by some 10mm bolts
12mm and they suck, I hate fans bolts, always have. It's because you have to get the pulley/fan to not rotate while you remove the nuts. Even then a rachet wrench is too thick to fit between the bolt and fan mount and a socket even on my shallow socket wrench won't fit. There's not enough room between the radiator and fan, so you have to turn each bolt by a hand wrench if you can get the pulley to stop moving. Then barely fit your hand in there and turn each bolt a quarter or half turn and then in 30 minutes you might have it off :)

Turns out if you push the thin plastic wind diverter on the sides of grill more to the side then there is a hole that goes to the lower radiator bolts and you can access the bolts from outside the grill with two 6 inch extensions. Much faster than those stupid fan bolts.

12mm and they suck, I hate fans bolts, always have. It's because you have to get the pulley/fan to not rotate while you remove the nuts. Even then a rachet wrench is too thick to fit between the bolt and fan mount and a socket even on my shallow socket wrench won't fit. There's not enough room between the radiator and fan, so you have to turn each bolt by a hand wrench if you can get the pulley to stop moving. Then barely fit your hand in there and turn each bolt a quarter or half turn and then in 30 minutes you might have it off :)

Turns out if you push the thin plastic wind diverter on the sides of grill more to the side then there is a hole that goes to the lower radiator bolts and you can access the bolts from outside the grill with two 6 inch extensions. Much faster than those stupid fan bolts.
Some time ago I purchased a set of each, SAE and metric ratchet wrenches from Harbor Freight:
example: SAE Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set, 5 Pc.
Yea, I know, it's "Harbor Freight". But what I use them for, e.g. tight spaces to spin off bolts and nuts, they're great! Just don't put too much torque on them. My good stuff is all Craftsman (old Craftsman).
But for the price, it's worth keeping a couple of sets in your tool box for those fan bolts you can't get to!

Some time ago I purchased a set of each, SAE and metric ratchet wrenches from Harbor Freight:
example: SAE Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set, 5 Pc.
Yea, I know, it's "Harbor Freight". But what I use them for, e.g. tight spaces to spin off bolts and nuts, they're great! Just don't put too much torque on them. My good stuff is all Craftsman (old Craftsman).
But for the price, it's worth keeping a couple of sets in your tool box for those fan bolts you can't get to!

I have flex head, that exactly what I tried, but the rachet is too thick. Between the bolts and a center part of the mount is close to the bolt. I got it in and out without taking out the fan. Thanks though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom