Radiator Filler Neck Replacement or Repair | Blown Radiator Cap - 80' FJ40 help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I'm from the break learn school of car repair. If it breaks, ....I then have to learn how to fix it. I have a 80' FJ40 with a chevy conversion and with that conversion it has an overheating problem. I plan up upgrading in the future to a more robust cooling system in the future but I can't at this time.

My engine overheated and blew the radiator cap and the cap took the radiator filler neck with it. Where do I even begin to do a quick or temporary repair so I may at least move the vehicle until I can do a more substantial replacement? Is this the type of repair where I can remove the radiator cap from the filler neck reattach it somehow? It fits snugly back into the radiator but would obviously pop off because its no longer attached.

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4729.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

There is no quick or easy repair.
Looks like an alum radiator.
Remove it from the cruiser and go looking for a radiator repair shop...I wish you the best ....they were once as common as bars and churches, now more like hens teeth.
With all that said they might not even be able to deal with the old alum.

looks like a stock rad to me, maybe all the silver is just solder??

Just replace the radiator. Not that a repair is not possible, but if it breaks again, there can be a chance that you overhead your engine and seize that up. Not worth a potential domino effect of more problems if it breaks after a repair. You can get still get a new radiator from Toyota last I checked.

Completely agree with @SW20. A repair won’t hold and they will want the radiator out of the truck anyway so you’re already elbows deep into the job. From the pics (It’s hard to tell), but that radiator looks either OEM copper brass or a close copy. A brand new city racer radiator, OEM from Toyota, is the right answer for a drop in solution
B2AC9B6B-E2F3-46CA-9A55-1A67777C8761.jpeg
. Here’s my brand new city racer radiator during installation this fall.

If you've got a radiator repair shop in your area then pull it and let them examine the problem. They can determine if it can be fixed or not. If it can be fixed they can also evaluate your core. If they believe it is to small to cool the engine they can probably re-core it for better cooling. They can also let you know if your cap is defective causing the leakest link in the system to fail.

Can't see enough of your cooling system to offer possible solutions except for this one. Take a look at FlowKooler water pump. When crawling around they flow more water than standard pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom