Radiator crack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past week has been the week from hell...Monday my alternator finally died while driving down the interstate, installed it working fine. Then I noticed the top of the radiator is leaking coolant.

Short of replacing the radiator so I have any salvation here?

Since it is just a seam where the plastic comes together could I simply clean it off and lay down some JB weld to hold it tight? I used some RTV and that stopped about 99% of it and it got me home but I don't trust it to hold long term.

Think your up the river without a radiator. Once the plastic cracks, it only gets worse. Maybe someone else will chime in. I would stick with OEM, since yours has lasted this long(and mine as well), but I remember reading a thread where someone thought koyo(?) makes the radiator for Mr. T, and you can get it from them for less.

What alt. did you finally settle with?

Yea I am starting to think I am too, the salvage yard has a 92 with what looks like a good radiator in it that I am going to pick off for $35 Tuesday.

I had a spare alternator I bought from someone a while back.

Here is a pic of it, the separation is right along the top seam.
2010-04-25 18.45.16.jpg

My idea get all metal aftermarket with a full warranty. You have no warranty if you install a new Toyota yourself. This will save you approx. 400.00 . mike

I tried JB weld and the steam pressure blew right thru it. I even roughed up the crack area to allow for a better epoxy grip.
In the end I called CDan and he sent me a TRAD radiator.

I tried JB weld and the steam pressure blew right thru it. I even roughed up the crack area to allow for a better epoxy grip.
In the end I called CDan and he sent me a TRAD radiator.

Since Dan is out in Moab, how much did you pay for it? I am going to try the one in the salvage yard first since it was just a Cash for Clunkers vehicle but if that one turns out bad I am going to call him when he gets back.

After trying to fix my cracked 92 and failing I bought an aftermarket brass? (all metal) radiator locally at a radiator outlet. Started leaking about 18 months later at a seam on the top. Out of warranty (1 year) I took it to a radiator shop to get the leak fixed. $ 60.00 later I picked it up. Installed it. Then found out the next week it was weeping at the same spot. Put a grey bottle of Bars stop leak in it and it oozes a little brown now. I would go Toyota if possible unless you like the labor of R&R a brass one.

Now I'm all worried about this, my plastic tank is 18 years old and doesn't look so hot. Still not leaking that I know of, but how long can she go? Interesting thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/195635-help-radiator-leak.html, maybe its possible to get the tank fixed, but you can't go wrong with 35$ from the salvage yard. $400 for an OEM isn't all that bad of a hit though, exspecially if it lasts another 18 years.

I have used aftermarket and never been disappointed. Performance or CSF .Sold by specter and cool cruisers I believe. Plastic not for me. But to each his own. Mike

Since Dan is out in Moab, how much did you pay for it? I am going to try the one in the salvage yard first since it was just a Cash for Clunkers vehicle but if that one turns out bad I am going to call him when he gets back.

I replaced it about a year and a half ago and am too lazy to find the receipt but I know it was over $400 and it has TRAD on it.

If you search TRAD radiators you can go see the interesting T.RAD website from Japan.

I am very careful about not leaning on it when working on the engine.

Now I'm all worried about this, my plastic tank is 18 years old and doesn't look so hot. Still not leaking that I know of, but how long can she go? Interesting thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/195635-help-radiator-leak.html, maybe its possible to get the tank fixed, but you can't go wrong with 35$ from the salvage yard. $400 for an OEM isn't all that bad of a hit though, exspecially if it lasts another 18 years.

That's what I figured, if the original radiator lasted that long, it must be pretty good. So I bit the bullet.

Thanks for the link Tenzig...sounds like this guy had the exact same issue as me in the same area.

I am sure it happened when my cousin was leaning on the truck while we were installing the alternator because it was noticed the next day...accidents happen.

If the radiator out of the yard isn't worth taking I may just seal it up enough to get me to the nearest radiator shop to see about swapping out the upper part before replacing the whole thing....it even looks like just some simple plastic welding would fix it but I don't want to risk it.

CSF from radiator barn. Bite the bullet and do it. I have had to do it on my '93 and my '95. Good replacement and no more worries.

CSF only lasted three years on my 91 before it started leaking like a sieve.

I can't believe folks bad-mouth the plastic OEM rad's: They're lasting 15-20 years!!

heh...how ironic...my 92 is leaking from the exact same place as yours judging by the picture...
tried it all....epoxies...this that bla bla...sanded/cleaned for better bite....nothing works in the end....its just time to bite the bullet and buy a new rad sooner or later...

being in canada i dont imagine to find a decent price anywhere...(as usual) so let the search begin :doh:

heh...how ironic...my 92 is leaking from the exact same place as yours judging by the picture...
tried it all....epoxies...this that bla bla...sanded/cleaned for better bite....nothing works in the end....its just time to bite the bullet and buy a new rad sooner or later...

Looks like we are in the same boat :frown:

The only thing I did was the RTV which held for a bit but the pressure eventually gave way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom