HELP - radiator leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this may be a silly question, but here goes...

'92 FJ80, 3FE - I have a small leak in the top of the radiator near the cap. Appears to be a crack in the plastic top of the radiator at or near the "seam" that runs along the top of the radiator.

Is there any possibility of fixing this, replacing JUST the plastic piece on top?... Or am I going to have to replace the entire radiator? Any idea what that ought to cost?

Before anybody asks, YES I'm sure it's not a loose or leaking hose or a leaking cap. I can see where it's seaping out as it gets hot and builds up some pressure.

Yep, the plastic cap can be changed out without replacing the radiator. Any good rad shop should be able to do it. The Rad has to come out though...

Howdy! I would find a shop that will swap out the top tank for you. They may be able to interchange it with a later model steel tank, but I don't know if they will fit. Meanwhile, check in your local hardware store for the "plastic" super glue. Looks and works just like regular, but it seems to melt into plastic a bit. I have used it on overflow and window wash tanks with great success. My trick is to open the crack a little with a scribe or small screw driver so the glue gets all the way into the plastic. Then rub it around with a toothpick on the out side. I have not tried it on a pressurized surface, but hey, for $3 it is worth the try. John

THANKS GUYS! That's a relief. I was worried I'd need a whole new radiator.

I got some Devcon Plastic Steel gobbed on there, so with a little luck that will hold until I can get a new tank located. Should I give CDan a call, or is there a better option for an "upgrade"?

Besides the crack, radiator performance degrades over time. If yours is original, it's fifteen years old. Me, I'd replace it with new OEM and not worry about it for another fifteen years.

Curtis

Besides the crack, radiator performance degrades over time. If yours is original, it's fifteen years old. Me, I'd replace it with new OEM and not worry about it for another fifteen years.

Curtis

How bad would that hurt my wallet?

OEM around $400 I think. About $260 aftermarket online shipped.

Dan is out of them at the moment, ETA to him is the 28th. Mine is doing the same thing and I'm going the whole radiator replacement route.

Anybody have a source for a GOOD aftermarket radiator?

I've been quoted everything from $264 for parts if the mechanic gets to charge another $200 for labor, all the way up to $536 for a "rebuilt OEM" from NAPA. What makes a "good" radiator good?... and where do I get one without breaking the bank???

ashooter, I am going through this right now as well and from the research I did the aftermarket radiators only last a couple years before they go out on the Cruisers.

I would give CDan a call to see if he has your year in stock since a 92' radiator is probably different than the 93' - 94'.

3FE vs. 1FZE engine

If you can hold out I would get the OEM. I ordered mine last week and will have it tomorrow, cost was about $400.

Thanks Dan2722,

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it is what I expected to hear. My brain knows OEM is better, but my wallet doesn't wanna listen! I guess I'll give CDan a call and roll up my sleeves for another learn-on-the-fly lesson in Cruiser "mechanicking".

Any tricks to swapping out the radiator in the FJ80? The only thing I could find in the FAQ was for FZJ's, and my Haynes manual is pretty unhelpful on this subject. I'm assuming just look at the new one to see what attaches where, and then start unbolting stuff on the old one until it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom