Radiator blow out (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you loosen the nut on the drivers side fitting, you can spin it around like hands on a clock. i trusted that as delivered by TYC, the fitting would be in the correct position. it wasn't, and caused the rubber hose to press against the metal frame of the truck. after replacing all the trans lines "while i was in there" fixing the busted one (NLA as well), a simple loosening and re-tightening got that hose positioned juuust right.

also, go to Home Depot and get some of that sticky weather stripping to better seal the radiator to the core support frame. aids in cooling.
A factory Toyota radiator comes with a new radiator cap and the foam in the correct location.

if you loosen the nut on the drivers side fitting, you can spin it around like hands on a clock. i trusted that as delivered by TYC, the fitting would be in the correct position. it wasn't, and caused the rubber hose to press against the metal frame of the truck. after replacing all the trans lines "while i was in there" fixing the busted one (NLA as well), a simple loosening and re-tightening got that hose positioned juuust right.

also, go to Home Depot and get some of that sticky weather stripping to better seal the radiator to the core support frame. aids in cooling.
That's right. If you do the job yourself, once you get the old rad out, set it on the ground above or below the new radiator. You want to make sure those hard lines are pointing in the same directions on the new rad as on the old, and you can clock them as described by jht3.
Also, you can take your new rad to a rad shop and have them pressure test it for usually about $25 prior to install. It's worth it, considering the labor involved.

I'd also make sure the left side transmission fluid nipple is clocked out of the way of the radiator petcock as well.

IME a new Toyota/TRAD radiator will have the transmission cooler line pipes already clocked correctly. FWIW

All I heard was "nipples"......

Does that tape replace the foam, like thick weather stripping?

Nate

So a quick update on my blown out radiator.

I hooked up the radiator and it looks like there is oil skim floating on top as the water is circulating from the engine. The extra pressure from compression must have made the radiator blow out (although it was looking pretty bad anyway).

So, I guess I need to bite the bullet and do a head gasket. My LX 450 is just shy of 200k.

I bought all new hoses, belts, brackets for the A/C condenser and the rubber grommet with stud attached that secures the radiator to the front. It is good thing I purchased the belts because they were cracking. Water pump was a bit too pricy for me right now at $225+ from the dealer so I'm holding off on that.

Nate

I hooked up the radiator and it looks like there is oil skim floating on top as the water is circulating from the engine. The extra pressure from compression must have made the radiator blow out (although it was looking pretty bad anyway).

So, I guess I need to bite the bullet and do a head gasket. My LX 450 is just shy of 200k.

I bought all new hoses, belts, brackets for the A/C condenser and the rubber grommet with stud attached that secures the radiator to the front. It is good thing I purchased the belts because they were cracking. Water pump was a bit too pricy for me right now at $225+ from the dealer so I'm holding off on that.

Nate
You need to be looking around......
$148 domestic
$160 across the pond
Both plus freight

Nate
Rockauto has WP for $61 (Aisin brand)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom