Radiator blew and PS leak; parts list? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slomo

It's Complicated
Threads
My radiator is leaking from a 4" long crack in the top plastic tank so it is getting replaced with an all metal one along with the thermostat and gasket. All hoses are pretty new so will stay. I need to replace my high pressure PS hose which is leaking badly and thinking I will rebuild the pump while I am in there since it moans a lot. My front crank seal is leaking for sure but I'm not positive if the oil pan arch seal is or not. I thoroughly degreased the engine then checked for the source and found the front main wet and wet around the wire and small cover plate on the front underside of the oil pan and am thinking it may be from the oil pump area as well as main seal. What seals and gaskets do you all recommend that should be done but won't break the bank too badly? I need to assemble the must have parts ASAP as this is my daily driver.

Radiator pic for fun:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446531068.236909.jpg

Rockauto is your friend.
Order the high pressure line from them.
They also sell a Gates Power Steering Pump kit which I would get now so your ready when it goes. It's cheap
The Radiator can be had on Amazon cheapest.
Source your Radiator fluid of choice in the mean time.

Call CDan , Beno, or Sam and just get a OEM rad. It should not be that much more and it is a critical part. I did my oil pump seal with the rad in place. But from what I hear if the screws get stripped the rad needs to come out to remove them. Might be a good time to do it. But you do need a few special tools. Replace the PS line since it runs under he rad. But if time is tight the pump can be done later. It MIGHT be better to so the oil pump seal since you will have more room with the rad out.

Thanks for the replies, I was half asleep during original post so to be clear I am looking to make sure I have all the parts I need when I tear into my baby. I don't want to miss any little bits. Am I missing anything?

List so far:
All metal radiator (ordered)

Following to order from Cdan:
Thermostat and gasket
Gasket/seal set for oil pump
Oil pump screws
Front main seal
Belts
Toyota red coolant
Toyota FIPG
upper/lower hoses

Is it reasonable to do the upper and lower oil pans later?

Last edited:
make sure you have the tools for the oil pump gasket. it can be hard to get that torque wrench. I would consider returning your radiator you ordered or cancel the order and getting a OEM. But that is just me. It might be fine for you. once you have the coolant system open do all the hoses as well.I dont know much about the oil pans. I think they are hard to do in the truck.

PS if you do the oil pump gasket replace the front main seal while in there.

Thanks for the input, I agree. I only do OEM parts and was reluctant to order non but I don't want another plastic/aluminum radiator. Did Mr. T switch to all metal radiators and nobody told me?

I went through oil pump thread in FAQ and edited parts list above. I can't think of anymore oddball PMs I should do with the front of the engine compartment taken apart. So ordering up. Thanks to all for the help.

Thanks beno, I feel like I am stroking another mans woman putting such a critical aftermarket part on her, but I am old school and want an all metal radiator.
I was going off of memory (first mistake) so I checked the FAQ on radiators again; are you or Cdan still selling the 93-94 all metal radiators to swap into the 95-97 80s?

Yes, the earlier 16400-66040 3 core brass radiator is a direct fit to the later 2 core aluminum radiator (16400-66081). Either one will work. Your call on which way you want to go of course considering there has been and always will be pontification on which one is better: brass or aluminum.

:meh:

It's a debate I don't really care about.

Awesome, thank your sir! :cheers:
I will have to see about returning the other radiator and clearing my conscience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom