Radflo 2.5, opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am close to taking the leap on a st of Radflo 2.5 reservoir shocks. I am not really need theses over the 2.0 Icons i am also considering. So I am still a little up in the air. Anyone have any experience with the Radflo shocks?

I'm sure they're night & day better than the Icon 2.0's but isn't the price crazy higher, too? I don't see any reason to get remote reservoirs unless you run long distances while off-road @ high speeds.

The more oil you have the longer the shocks last between services. a 2.5" shocks has twice the oil volume than a 2.0", and that's without adding the resi in. I've had both shocks, and they are very similar quality wise, but if you put the Icon's on one side of the rig and the radflo on the other and ran them until failure, the radflo's would win easy because of the extra oil in there.

I do really do any LONG distance HIGH speed stuff. But half the year i do live in WY/MT and spend a lot of time driving forestry roads and some longer trails. It is not unreasonable to have to go 10-20 miles out on a forestry road. If i have to go 10 mph that takes a long time. If i can go 15-20 with out feeling like i am killing th truck that makes a big difference in time. Other times on smoother roads, maybe wash board or just dirt, with good visibly i can go 25-30 or so now. It would be nice to run 45 or or so on the long straight sections. I dont know, maybe the 2.0 Icons will be fine for this type of stuff.

The more oil you have the longer the shocks last between services. a 2.5" shocks has twice the oil volume than a 2.0", and that's without adding the resi in. I've had both shocks, and they are very similar quality wise, but if you put the Icon's on one side of the rig and the radflo on the other and ran them until failure, the radflo's would win easy because of the extra oil in there.

Did you say that you have owned both of these? When they were both fresh and in good shape how did they compare on things like forestry roads and a little bit rougher?

There are a few trail that i do that are covered in melon sized rocks. you end up driving almost slower than you can walk. Just because of the gyration and feeling like you are in a washing machine. it would be nice to be able to do that at about 5-7 MPH

You are airing down as applicable for the surface and speed you are running?

That can make more difference than choosing shocks and also prevents killing your shocks etc...

cheers,
george.

Did you say that you have owned both of these? When they were both fresh and in good shape how did they compare on things like forestry roads and a little bit rougher?

There are a few trail that i do that are covered in melon sized rocks. you end up driving almost slower than you can walk. Just because of the gyration and feeling like you are in a washing machine. it would be nice to be able to do that at about 5-7 MPH

Yes, but on a Tacoma and not a landcruiser. For what you do, the 2.0's will be fine and accomplish your goals and last several years. Plan on getting them rebuilt every 30K miles or so if you run a lot of washboard, sooner if you run trails. Figure every other year. With the 2.5's you could stretch that out a bit longer, go a bit faster, and it would take hard hits much better. Even with the exact same valving, the bigger shock has to move a bigger piston through more oil and has more damping ability. Heat kills shocks, and I bet you couldn't hold your hand on most 2.0's after a solid washboard road run.

I've also ran OME, King, and Fox. All work great, however they all fail eventually. Coming from experience, if you don't have to rebuild as often, you will be happier. I have some fox 2.0's on a 3/4 ton chevy that gets beat on washboard all the time, and it always seems like one of them is leaking. It's not the shocks fault that I put too small of a shock on such a heavy rig.

You are airing down as applicable for the surface and speed you are running?

That can make more difference than choosing shocks and also prevents killing your shocks etc...

cheers,
george.

Honestly...no. If i go "wheeling" with some friends then yes. But i use the truck so much just to get places like for MTB or hiking or fishing. Out where i am that might mean 50 miles of paved roads the 15 miles of dirt then 10 of paved. So usually i am just "going". I am just being honest. I am sure airing down would help. I know it does when i am out for the day to explore in the truck and i drop to 18PSI. But other days it is as simple as "i want to go here" on the map and whatever roads i end up i end up on.

Yes, but on a Tacoma and not a landcruiser. For what you do, the 2.0's will be fine and accomplish your goals and last several years. Plan on getting them rebuilt every 30K miles or so if you run a lot of washboard, sooner if you run trails. Figure every other year. With the 2.5's you could stretch that out a bit longer, go a bit faster, and it would take hard hits much better. Even with the exact same valving, the bigger shock has to move a bigger piston through more oil and has more damping ability. Heat kills shocks, and I bet you couldn't hold your hand on most 2.0's after a solid washboard road run.

I've also ran OME, King, and Fox. All work great, however they all fail eventually. Coming from experience, if you don't have to rebuild as often, you will be happier. I have some fox 2.0's on a 3/4 ton chevy that gets beat on washboard all the time, and it always seems like one of them is leaking. It's not the shocks fault that I put too small of a shock on such a heavy rig.

That is actually very valuable information. Thank you. I have the Fox 2.0 now and one is leaking. I could have it rebuilt but that takes time to ship back and forth. If i go with the Icon 2.0 then in the future i can rebuild them myself. which means nothing more than a weekend. Even if i am doing it every two years i think that might be OK. I put around 20,000 miles a year on the truck so not much way around it. I am sure the Radflo 2.5 will last longer. But if the performance FOR MY NEEDS will be somewhat similar then i might just save a $1000 and go with the Icon 2.0.

Only other issue is that Radflo could have these shocks in my hands in 2-3 weeks. I leave for the season in 4 weeks. Icon is months out. Which means i will be changing shocks while "out and about". Not the works job but nicer with a impact gun and floor jacks.

Ok. I just remembered some info aboit my 2.0 shocks. Last summer went out for a typical day off to do a hike. 10 miles of flat fast dirt roads and then about 10 miles up some ruted out forestry roads. Nothing to badly rutted. I did them at a pretty good clip. But not reckless. But fast that normal for me. It was the pace I would like to be able to travel. At the trail head my front shocks felt hot. Not to hot to touch but you didnt really want to hold your hand on it for more than a second or two.

Honestly...no. If i go "wheeling" with some friends then yes. But i use the truck so much just to get places like for MTB or hiking or fishing. Out where i am that might mean 50 miles of paved roads the 15 miles of dirt then 10 of paved. So usually i am just "going". I am just being honest. I am sure airing down would help. I know it does when i am out for the day to explore in the truck and i drop to 18PSI. But other days it is as simple as "i want to go here" on the map and whatever roads i end up i end up on.

What pressure are you running normally? What type of tyre (D rated, E rated etc). I'd rather take an extra 15 mins to drop pressure and put some back when returning on the pavement to get home than suffer with corrugations etc... You could experiment and drop a couple of psi, drive a bit, adjust as needed. You'll then have a feeling of what pressure to run on future drives over that kind of terrain.

Dropping tyre pressure is the best return on investment and saves your equipment from a beating. Consider it time to look over tyre and vehicle condition and a chance to take a break, water the weeds etc etc.

cheers,
george.

I guess a ARB tire deflator cost a little less

Doesn't need to be anything complicated. I have had most of the toys (including that one) and have always come back to this kit, valve core remover and pencil gauge, simple, compact, quick and effective.:hillbilly:
airdown_kit-jpg.580840

I am close to taking the leap on a st of Radflo 2.5 reservoir shocks. I am not really need theses over the 2.0 Icons i am also considering. So I am still a little up in the air. Anyone have any experience with the Radflo shocks?

'Want' beats 'Need' almost every time. :)

Seriously, let the air out of the tires when you hit those dirt roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom