R12 coolant - is it ever dyed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My AC system needs to be recharged. When it was last done years ago (2014) the mechanic used dye - I keep all my work records and this one says he pumped 1 lb of dyed refrigerant in to check for leaks.
There might be a leak, but they also did it for about $64 Canadian. I reckon they either positively confirmed it was r134a already in the system, or said meh and just used it anyways.

So- based off the lower price and the fact they used dye in the refrigerant, how likely do you think it is that they used r134a?

I've never recharged my own coolant before, but I've got the time so I'm going to just rent the gear and do it myself.

Isn't the dye used to detect leaks?

At the time I thought it might have been leaking, but it's been four years. If there is a leak, it's so slow that I really don't mind.

Often, even usually in my experience.

The dye is part of the oil charge, not the refrigerant. US EPA requires proper labeling of what's in a system, but some countries/people may not care. A mix of R12 and R134A will not work properly due to different temperature/pressure correlations. The best way to check is with a refrigerant identifier. Hope that helps.

The dye is part of the oil charge, not the refrigerant. US EPA requires proper labeling of what's in a system, but some countries/people may not care. A mix of R12 and R134A will not work properly due to different temperature/pressure correlations. The best way to check is with a refrigerant identifier. Hope that helps.
Dye is packaged by itself as an additive, in oil, or as a component of refrigerant.

the AC fittings are different, the R134a machine cannot fit on R12 fittings. you haven't been able to get R12 in Canada for years, and it would be huge money if you did

the AC fittings are different, the R134a machine cannot fit on R12 fittings. you haven't been able to get R12 in Canada for years, and it would be huge money if you did
Just as an FYI there are adapter fittings available that allow you to hook up the quick disconnecting hoses used with the 134A gauge set to a R12 system. Those adapters are used when you convert your old R12 refrigerant system over to using 134A refrigerant.

R12 was banned for sale to people without a CFC Lic. around the end of 1993 because the powers that be said it was better for the environment and 134A was good for the environment. Now the powers that be are saying that 134A is even worst for the environment then R12 ever was.

Now for the funny part, the powers that be seem to always say we need to change to a "new Freon" because the old ones bad for the environment, right about the time that DuPont's patent is about to expire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom