Quicker connections , less hassles !!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by T Y L E R, Mar 31, 2003.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Ok ... I got just a wee bit peeved at constantly having to close the IE browser that I had ih8mud.com on . :mad: . Honestly I have never , ever had such crap luck with a server hanging my browser since I was running win95 on a crap 133mhz . I went thru the usual stuff .. emptying caches , accepting cookies yadda , yadda . But still I'd hang after a few reloads , so I switched to my 'ol standby ... OPERA .

Opera-5 is another internet browser . It used to be only test based , so I'd use it as a breath of fresh air when I got sick of all the commercial crap on the Net . This version (5) , is amazing ... you really ought to try downloading it , and giving it a try if you feel this site or any other is a pain thru IE or Netscrap . Try looking at www.download.com for it ...

One feature that is even a slight step beyond IE is it's full screen feature . Pressing F11 fill's the 'entire' screen with the website ... no more task bar , no more browser buttons .. nothing but pure site . And the colours , and clarity is uncanny .. finally I feel like I'm getting my money's worth from my Sony Trinitron 19" monitor ! :D

So if IE is being a pain , AND you don't feel you should have to lower your security standards because of this forum ... check out Opera .

Tyler

2. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

Acknowledged, and agreed.

However, having said that, there is a bug in this version of YaBB that is causing browser hangs across the board - and Woody is aware of it. That IE should be more tolerant of this, your point is well made.

-R-

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I made some changes today....and I've yet to have a problem since. Working on some other minor stuff, but a few have reported that their problems are gone too, since 1pmish today...

check the comments section for what I did, and to report if you still see issues....

4. Junk

Junk

C'mon T. First you should get kicked in the nuts for your sig line. :eek: :D now you want us to use something called opera ::) ??? :eek: :D :D

5. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    wonder if netscape works better on here? might have to download it

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

NETSCAPE IS BULL$H!T!! Worst browser ever made. Uses about 2x as much memory and processor power as ie5. I just tried Tylers suggestion and it IS very good. I guess canadians are good for something..... :D I work summers in a IT for a 400+ computer network and through trial and error, ie5.5 is MUCH better than Netscrape. This new opera deal seems to be even better. Much faster for me, and I like how it keeps all windows within one. Auto loads all your settings from ie5 too.

7. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Glad you're enjoying the transistion CruisinGA ... it has a few funny things like having to reload sometimes when you've posted and want to update the message list (reload) . SOmetimes it forgets I'm logged in already . I solve this by going back to the main forum page and reloading .. then I'm good to go for posting etc .

Yeah this version is rather nice . I forgot I even had it on my drive . I remember the older versions ... nothing but text ! I'll keep coming here with it because it means I don't have to reconfigure my IE . ANd I have to admit , this is one pretty forum , when seen in it's original colours :D . Change is good , I amy get spoiled and do most my surfing with my Paverotti browser *L*

Woody , thanx for looking into those bugs so quick for folks ! I'm sure it means a lot to them ... a lot of passionate , and knowledgeable cruiser heads here . Last thing we need would be a technical glitch sending them running . As a Canadian I'm used to brain-drain , so I relate . Keep our SOR's here ! ;) If there were SOB's , well that would be different .

Junk , you dog .. I nearly puked up my latte readin that !! :p :mad: :D :D

8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Tyler,

All is not lost. In addition to world class hunting, you have Molsen and Moosehead.......It could be worse..... :eek:

PS.. A short poem....Malls Rule is COOL........

Door dings could be considered a badge of courage..... ::)

9. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    netscape does suck, trying this opera thing
    seems to be working better. got more smileys on it to use :beer: :stupid: :ugh: :tear: :banana: :eek: :dunno: :cry: :bow: :flipoff2: never saw those before with ie
    thanks Tyler (probably reading this on a laptop, sipping a latte)

10. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    whats the deal with it loading the pages twice though?

11. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

"laptop , sipping latte.." - I wish . I sold the laptop to my sister yrs ago for a song . Should have kept it , loaded up Linux and ... oh ya , it won't have been able to link to the net via cell so not much use . I'd like to oneday have use of a laptop in the rig , for portable surfing , and gps etc ... the stuff of dream eh ?

Double reloads ? Yeah , this has a few funny quarks , but no crashes yet , or lockups etc . Some cool feature though ... full screen , viewing all the servers being accessed in the loading of the page .. etc 'cartogra,com' etc , showing the different browsers on Opera's own 'taskbar' saving much clutter on your computers own bar , and being able to adjust the site to fill your browser ... I just discovered I can up the % to 150% and it will fill the width of my screen , whereas on 100% it is only across 60% of the screen .

You guys find any other features ?

Poems eh ?

Wanna be cool?
    Discover malls rule ,
    Zip into your spot ,
    And wipe all your snot ,
    With your sleeve you may ,
    Just be looked on with dismay ,
    But pay no heed ,
    To those others indeed ,
    For they aren't so cool ,
    As that puddle of drool ,
    Below the chick from Starbucks ,
    Who sees you as nothing but good ----s ,
    So time to haul ass ,
    And head to that mall fast ,
    So you too can be cool ,
    And not like some fool !

:dunno: :beer: :beer:

Tyler

PS :

Leave your horse in it's stall ,
    And head down to the mall .
    Seek out a sweet bling ,
    And smack it a ding ,
    Then tear outta there ,
    with the wind in your hair .
    And feel content ,
    That you survived such a dent !
    When you get back to base ,
    Arm yourself with your mace .
    For you they may track ,
    And your head they will hack .
    Then where would you be ,
    With no head to see ?
    All stinky with pee ,
    Cause you're distracted with glee ,
    And can't wait to be ,
    Alive and dent free !

12. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    You left out the part about door dings........ ::)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.