Quick question regarding coolant hose and marking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm installing a new radiator in my 80. I bought all new oem toyota hoses and noticed there is a marking on one end. It's a white painted line. Does this go into the radiator side?
I'm asking because my current hoses are not oem and are somewhat deformed. The thing is that on the upper and lower radiator hoses look like they can be switched around. It's a 1hdt.

20220313_121633.jpg

20220313_120846.jpg

20220312_111541.jpg

What year/model 80 series are you working on?

OK, just noticed, you're working on a 1996 1HDT??

Not many owners of those on this forum, you could check the diesel forum.

But in general the paint stripe is there so the installer locates the hose so it's clocked properly in the vertical axis, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
For the FZJ80/1FZFE there is a tab molded into the radiator at the top pipe,
so the stripe lines up with that tab which is at 12 O'clock.

However on the 1FZFE there are two lower radiator hoses in-line, the stripe
is upright on both but the end of the hoses with the stripe are oriented toward the engine side, not the radiator side, if that makes sense.

Thanks guys. I got the lower I believe in the correct position. The lower hose is wider on one end which goes on the thermostat. The white stripe is located at the 6' o'clock. It fits really good so I did not try the stripe at the 12 position.

Not sure if it's visible in this picture but the stripe fit right between the 2 tabs on the lower radiator portion. I think it works for now.

20220313_141448.jpg

IME (in my experience) the stripe is generally upright, having said that I haven't seen a ?pink/mauve color stripe on a FZJ80 hose, so maybe that color means orient the stripe differently?? IDK.

Here's some photos from a FZJ80 (1FZFE), all the stripes are white and all
are upright. Also note that two of the hoses (white stripes) line up with a tab or bump. One doesn't appear to have a specific tab, just some bumps from welding the bracket.

First photo shows the top radiator hose with tab on the radiator:

Top_radiator_hose_position_1FZFE[1].jpg

Next photo shows the stripe upright but on the end facing away from the radiator:

Lower[1].jpg

Last photo shows lower radiator hose #2, stripe on the engine side lined
up with a tab on the Thermostat pipe/housing
Lower[1].jpg

Last edited:
IME (in my experience) the stripe is generally upright, having said that I haven't seen a ?pink/mauve color stripe on a FZJ80 hose, so maybe that color means orient the stripe differently?? IDK.

Here's some photos from a FZJ80 (1FZFE), all the stripes are white and all
are upright. Also note that two of the hoses (white stripes) line up with a tab or bump. One doesn't appear to have a specific tab, just some bumps from welding the bracket.

First photo shows the top radiator hose with tab on the radiator:

View attachment 2951492

Next photo shows the stripe upright but on the end facing away from the radiator:

View attachment 2951495

Last photo shows lower radiator hose #2, stripe on the engine side lined
up with a tab on the Thermostat pipe/housing
View attachment 2951496
A bit different on this radiator. As you can see in the lower hose installed, there is nothing in the way.

Attachments

• 20220313_144833.jpg
    20220313_144833.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220313_144554.jpg
    20220313_144554.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 42
I always thought thats where you line up the pin on the clamp. Pull the pin and 💥, you are in business.

For the first time I've had an epic fail on a toyota radiator. It's leaking worse than the Exxon Valdez. The radiator must have either a Crack or a bad seam job.
I'll call the dealer tomorrow to get another one on order and remove this one.
20220313_164003.jpg

IIRC someone else mentioned that also, that the stripe is where you place the clamp, but if there's only one stripe then how would people know where to place the clamp on the other end?? IDK.

Key is having the hose (and clamps) oriented so it's out of the way of belts, pulleys, etc, and still have access to other engine parts.

The FZJ80 (1FZFE) top radiator hose is one example, it can go on either way,
but if it's the wrong way (white stripe toward the engine), then the hose gets in the way of other things when you want to work on them.

For the first time I've had an epic fail on a toyota radiator. It's leaking worse than the Exxon Valdez. The radiator must have either a Crack or a bad seam job.
I'll call the dealer tomorrow to get another one on order and remove this one.View attachment 2951792
Is that a new oem radiator?

If so where did you purchase the radiator.

If it is new you should certainly get your money back.......

Is that a new oem radiator?

If so where did you purchase the radiator.

If it is new you should certainly get your money back.......
Yes. Oem purchased at S.F toyota. The funny thing is when I was done Installing it, I was "it hope it last another 15 plus years". The damn thing didn't even last one hour.

FWIW, when I replaced my radiator about 5 years ago I took the new unit (Koyo) to a radiator shop and had it pressure tested before I installed it. It was $25, as I recall, and my thinking was that it came all the way from Asia and had been through a lot of hands. They're kind of a hassle to install, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't DOA. So, for other Mudders, that is my suggestion. It only works if you have another vehicle to use, you're not in a time pinch, etc. YMMV.

The petcock/drain plug is installed correct?
That was the first thing that I checked and it was on pretty tight. Checked it prior to install and when I saw the leak I immediately checked it again.
It was on so tight I needed a plier to back it off in order to get the remaining 1-3/4 gallon of antifreeze in a bucket.
It's so strange to have a new radiator have aleak. I'll remove it and look at it closely. The parts guys at sf toyota are cool so I'll call and have them look it over and replace it.

FWIW, when I replaced my radiator about 5 years ago I took the new unit (Koyo) to a radiator shop and had it pressure tested before I installed it. It was $25, as I recall, and my thinking was that it came all the way from Asia and had been through a lot of hands. They're kind of a hassle to install, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't DOA. So, for other Mudders, that is my suggestion. It only works if you have another vehicle to use, you're not in a time pinch, etc. YMMV.
I never thought of doing that on a factory one. It sure would have saved me all this hassle. I might take the old one and have it serviced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom