Quick intro and a very specific question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, just joined so here's my intro.

Owned my 05 470 sport for about a year now and have already had a ton of fun with it and taken it on a half dozen solid off-road excursions. I'm a big fan of keeping things simple so I wanted to test the capabilities of the stock setup and really pinpoint it's weak points for what I use it for.

I bought it as a camping/adventure vehicle and so far I've loved it's capabilities. After this season, I had found the 190k mile original suspension to be the trucks weakest link on my last trip. The height control and KDSS still functioned well and definitely made parts of the trip possible, but the original TEMS struts had just about had enough especially once the fluid got hot.

So I decided it was time for a lift and some slightly bigger tires. I went with the Ironman 4x4 foam cell pro 3" lift, as I had already purchase some of their other products and was really happy with them. Plus they are somewhat local to me which I always find to be a plus.

I installed the KDSS specific lift this weekend and the the only issue I have run into is the rear swaybar drop spacers are slightly too small and the bolts do not line up. So here is my question. As far as I am aware, KDSS was available on sport package GXs only until later in the production run when it could be added seperately. Through my searches I have found measurements for the rear KDSS bar on a 470 to be 33mm. My rear bar however measures in at 35mm. The difference in the holes on the spacer is ~2-3mm and I was wondering if possibly the sport package cars came with slightly larger rear sway bars than a standard non sport KDSS 470.
If anyone has an 05 sport with KDSS and a caliper could you maybe take a measurement of your rear sway bar and post it? Likewise if anyone has a non sport KDSS 470, does your rear bar measure in at 33mm diameter?

I have been emailing back and forth with Ironman and they have been great, I'm just trying to collect some more data to perhaps figure this out.

Anyway, there's my intro and my very specific question. I'll drop a pic or two of my GX in the wild to finish it off.

Thanks!

20210531_200226.jpg

20210604_182220.jpg

Solution

Owned my 05 470 sport for about a year now and have already had a ton of fun with it and taken it on a half dozen solid off-road excursions. I'm a big fan of keeping things simple so I wanted to test the capabilities of the stock setup and really pinpoint it's weak points for what I use it for.

I bought it as a camping/adventure vehicle and so far I've loved it's capabilities. After this season, I had found the 190k mile original suspension to be the trucks weakest link on my last trip. The height control and KDSS still functioned well and definitely made parts of the trip possible, but the original TEMS struts had just about had enough especially once the fluid got hot.

So I decided it was...

So I decided it was time for a lift and some slightly bigger tires. I went with the Ironman 4x4 foam cell pro 3" lift, as I had already purchase some of their other products and was really happy with them. Plus they are somewhat local to me which I always find to be a plus.

I installed the KDSS specific lift this weekend and the the only issue I have run into is the rear swaybar drop spacers are slightly too small and the bolts do not line up. So here is my question. As far as I am aware, KDSS was available on sport package GXs only until later in the production run when it could be added seperately. Through my searches I have found measurements for the rear KDSS bar on a 470 to be 33mm. My rear bar however measures in at 35mm. The difference in the holes on the spacer is ~2-3mm and I was wondering if possibly the sport package cars came with slightly larger rear sway bars than a standard non sport KDSS 470.
If anyone has an 05 sport with KDSS and a caliper could you maybe take a measurement of your rear sway bar and post it? Likewise if anyone has a non sport KDSS 470, does your rear bar measure in at 33mm diameter?

I have been emailing back and forth with Ironman and they have been great, I'm just trying to collect some more data to perhaps figure this out.

Anyway, there's my intro and my very specific question. I'll drop a pic or two of my GX in the wild to finish it off.

Thanks!

View attachment 2858481

View attachment 2858483
I don’t have an answer to your specific question on the size of the kdss bars, but wanted to say that I like your approach of using the gx470 in stock mode to see what you need to upgrade.

The only thing I worry in stock mode is the passenger grade tires that it comes with. Those are marginal for going offroad.

Other than that, tires and suspension are the two basic upgrades that will make you feel like you can conquer the world and then leads you to get stuck for trying things you shouldn’t…at least that’s what I’ve heard! Lol

Solution
KDSS was an option outside of the sport package from the start I believe but it was an obscenely low take rate from what I’ve read, like 1% or less. All of the parts for KDSS are the same parts number wise throughout the run and I really doubt they varied based on trim. I will go measure mine tho when I get a chance.

I don’t have an answer to your specific question on the size of the kdss bars, but wanted to say that I like your approach of using the gx470 in stock mode to see what you need to upgrade.

The only thing I worry in stock mode is the passenger grade tires that it comes with. Those are marginal for going offroad.

Other than that, tires and suspension are the two basic upgrades that will make you feel like you can conquer the world and then leads you to get stuck for trying things you shouldn’t…at least that’s what I’ve heard! Lol really beat the hell out of these all season Michellins. 😂 Ready for a good set of all terrains to go with the lift.

Other than that, tires and suspension are the two basic upgrades that will make you feel like you can conquer the world and then leads you to get stuck for trying things you shouldn’t…at least that’s what I’ve heard! Lol

I've been down the route of just dumping money into projects before and figured I'd take the smarter approach this time! 😂

I used every bit of the Michellin all seasons it came with, and it went almost everywhere my buddies PRO4X Xterra went on 33" K02s, just much slower and always worrying I would pop a sidewall!

Excited to see it's capabilities once I decide on the new tire package.

2006 Sport package coming in at 33mm measured at the middle of the sway.
Interesting. You must have access to the parts catalog? I figured that would be the best way to check if there were infact different sized bars over the model year run.

Appreciate the info! I measured mine next to the fixed mount for the bar instead of the center and only had a standard caliper on hand so I had to do a conversion and round to the closest mm but it was definitely closer to 35 than 33. The mystery continues. 😂

Rear KDSS on GX470 is 33 mm diameter. Gx460 are 30 mm diameter.

I emailed ironman when I saw they listed the KDSS spacer to fit both model. Their answer is they will for both model. Well they are wrong. Definitely not the same. That is why Treaty Oak Offroad used to have GX470 specific model.

Last edited:
Rear KDSS on GX470 is 33 mm diameter. Gx460 are 30 mm diameter.

I emailed ironman when I saw they listed the KDSS spacer to fit both model. Their answer is they will for both model. Well they are wrong. Definitely not the same. That is why Treaty Oak Offroad used to have GX470 specific model.

Maybe they have a different part for the 460 bar as the first thing they did was confirm I had the right part number for the spacers in my kit. However I'm still missing about 2-3mm to be able to get the bolts aligned in my 470.

20211206_154150.jpg

20211206_154159.jpg

Last edited:
@05PGMSport i think what @Jstawgn is trying to say is check to make sure Ironman didn’t send you 30mm spacers because Ironman thinks the Gx460 is the same kdss thickness as GX470

Ironman could have sent you the too small part

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom