quick driveshaft question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
triplefault.org
I've seen it mentioned here that many of y'all have driven with out one of the driveshafts for a period of time. When you do this, is your diff and tcase open to the elements? I'm thinking about pulling the front DS for a while until I can get the caster correction bushings installed and the DS checked out and balanced if necessary, but I imagine we will have some rain and such during that time and I don't want that getting into the expensive bits of my truck...

What's the word?

You've seen too many jxxp vehicles.. :D Both driveshafts on a Cruiser (and most Toyota vehicles) have flanges to bolt them to, you merely unbolt the driveshaft part from the flange, nothing open, nothing exposed, etc. You're thinking about driveshafts that have the slip-yoke part where it goes into the tranny, those are cheap/lame designs IMO.

Also if doing that you need the center diff lock switch to lock the center diff before pulling the front driveshaft, and the center diff needs to be locked all the time when the driveshaft is not there (you'll know if it's not, since you won't go anyway, well maybe at like 5mph, and burning out your viscous coupler).

Good Luck..

I'm riding around right now without the front drive shaft in w/ the CDL on. I drives fine and the drive shaft will be in tomorrow when I get it back from the shop.

Has anyone purposely not gone above a certian speed with a drive shaft out?

No problem, pull the shaft, hit the CDL button and drive, the ABS brakes will be dissabled. Driving mine front wheel drive right now.

Phatairman--

I've driven at highway speeds in 4H w/CDL locked for about twenty minutes...other than that...some in-town driving.

This was with rear drive shaft. Gonna be rebuilding that tomorrow. ;)

-o-

I hit about 65 MPH and I can hear a different noise coming from under neath the 80. I keep it below that and sounds great drives great. Who knows?

I drove around for two days, highways and everything without the front drive shaft. Handled fine and I probably did 65-70 at some time on the highway.

did it for months at all kinds of speeds, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom