questions changing oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, it should seal against the inside wall not at the edge of the filter hole in the engine.
What I don't get is why Toyota built two grooves in the cap. On my other cars that use same design there is only one groove.

@bjowett can you confirm the correct position of the o-ring on your cap? I personally wouldn't want to assume you have it configured the same as the toyota part.

Sense moving the gasket to the new location (the gap next to the threads) I can safely say that does work.

The position in post # 7 is correct. It doesn't go in the gap next to the threads, though it will probably work there just as well.

@PDoyle was the cap leaking with the ring installed as shown in post # 7??
IMG_5313.JPG

Yes.

So the o-ring in post 7 photo is in the wrong place, right? It should be in the upper groove, right?
The upper groove is where it goes.

I have Installed the o-ring as shown in post #7 every time I change my oil using the Jowett Performance billet oil cap - never a drop of has ever leaked. Good kit!

Is there any harm in having a gasket in both locations ? Use the old gasket in one spot and apply the new one to the other.

Yes my first time. I believe I left the gasket where it was when I unscrewed the housing from the engine. I replaced the filter, cleaned off the housing, and reinstalled using the same gasket and used a wrench to tighten it.
After pulling the filter housing back off one thing I did was compare the old gasket to the new one that came with the oem filter and it seemed to be a little more round. So maybe the old gasket shrunk. I'm sure it was user error. You have a great product.

The upper groove is where it goes.
I wonder if we are getting our terms confused.. are you calling where bjowett indicated the upper groove? Or are you referring to the one just under the threads?

Yes my first time. I believe I left the gasket where it was when I unscrewed the housing from the engine. I replaced the filter, cleaned off the housing, and reinstalled using the same gasket and used a wrench to tighten it.
After pulling the filter housing back off one thing I did was compare the old gasket to the new one that came with the oem filter and it seemed to be a little more round. So maybe the old gasket shrunk. I'm sure it was user error. You have a great product.
I would definitely run a new o-ring each filter change. The rubber can tend to get squeezed into an oval shape over time reducing how well it seals on subsequent installs.

My son’s RAV4 has a similar, but not identical filter cap. He came home from college (where he’d had an oil change done) and his car was leaking oil when the engine was running.

Oil change place didn’t put an o-ring back on the housing.

I told my son, THAT’s why we change our own oil! And whatever else we can do. :)

My son’s RAV4 has a similar, but not identical filter cap. He came home from college (where he’d had an oil change done) and his car was leaking oil when the engine was running.

I told my son, THAT’s why we change our own oil! And whatever else we can do. :)
Perfect example. Another is my friend's TDI VW had the oil cooler twisted in a way that blocked off flow of coolant, and had been like that for 30-40k miles.

Perfect example. Another is my friend's TDI VW had the oil cooler twisted in a way that blocked off flow of coolant, and had been like that for 30-40k miles.
Realistically, no quickie oil change place will ever care about your vehicle as much as you do. Sometimes that doesn't matter, sometimes it does.
For me taking a little bit more time is great because it allows me to (maybe) see things worth my attention. For the quickie guys; they need your beast outta there ASAP.

A MAJOR advantage.

Prior to the LX and Cruiser, we had a company furnished Suburban. It needed a change during a long trip and stopped early to get the change. I was 8-10 feet away when I saw the oil change kid pick up an air impact wrench and head under the truck. I yelled a loud "hey, stop" at the kid, shop foreman came over, and it was a"you never do that" lesson.

What’s it cost to change your own oil? It was $99 at my Lexus dealer, with a car wash and inspection.

How much is knowing it's done right worth to you?

Or keeping your working recirc flap?

Genuine Toyota filter is less than $10, drain plug gasket $0.30, oil varies but not hard to find it for $60 total for 2 5-qt jugs, which gives you some extra for next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom