Question on Tranny oil and diff plug. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I am changing my transfer oil and have a couple questions.
The manual calls for 90W, all I can find is 80w-90W hypoid oil.
Is this OK? And the magnetic plug was in the filler hole, and the drain plug was a plain type. This is wrong right? The Magnetic should be in the bottom to catch metal?
I guess the PO swapped em?

Also the rear diff, the fill plug is very rusty, and is starting to deform when I try to remove it. Any tricks? If I try any harder I am going to round it out. Then what?
It is a 24mm right?

Thanks all,
Alex

80/90 is fine, thats what I use in tranny, transfer, axles.
Magnetic plug should be the drain, but IIRC the drain and fill plugs are different on the transmission (one 17mm one 24mm).
24mm is correct, be sure you are using a 6-point socket, might want to try some penetrating oil as well. (PB Blaster, etc.) When using a 6-point socket I like to firmly press the ratchet head onto the bolt and tap the ratchet handle with a hammer, this punctuated force seems to be less likely to round off the bolts than just pulling on the ratchet handle.

I just changed ALL my fluids,Alex so I can help. Of course,the magnet goes on the bottom hole. 80W90 is just fine.You'll need 10 qts. to do EVERYTING underneath. The rear diff. plug may have to be removed with a hammer and chisel,my fill plug had to be. If it's not already too rounded a impact gun gets it out alot easier.That initial snatch helps alot.
Another BIG help is to buy a litttle bottle pump,like used on hand cleaner jugs, to pump the lube into the fill holes.You'll play heck getting those qt. jugs into the tranny and front diff. fill holes. You can buy it at any auto parts store.
Hope it helps. Al

Oh yeah, around here I found I could get a 5-gal bucket of 80/90 for $23, and then I bought an industrial oil pump that sits on top of the bucket from Napa that has about 4 feet of clear tube with a curved spout on the end. This cuts gear oil changing times in half, makes it cheaper, and easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom