Question on Steering Knuckle Studs for 80 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Most of you have met Jeff Boggs by now. He has the "new" (to him) 80 series with the beautiful 6M1 paint job. He and I have been having the conversation about the steering knuckle issues on the 80's where the steering knuckle arm can come loose from the steering knuckle if you don't make sure those nuts are torqued to 71 ft-lbs.

So he's invested in the studs, cone washers, and nuts just in case the worse happens, so that he can reassemble things on the trail if necessary. Now he has a question - do the studs require a special service tool for installation? I checked the factory service manual and it doesn't go into that level of detail. But I know a lot of you folks would know the answer, so how about it? Thanks!

Yes, I believe on the 80's those studs are driven in with an E-12 socket. Think reverse torxs. I have one he can borrow if he doesn't want to spend the money.

Yes, I believe on the 80's those studs are driven in with an E-12 socket. Think reverse torxs. I have one he can borrow if he doesn't want to spend the money.

Nice avatar!

I think he doesn't need the tool now, but wants to be prepared if the need comes up, so thanks for the info.

Thanks for discussing this. I do want to have this tool in my rig for trail repairs and for the correct torque. E-12 socket . I will get one ASAP. All my nuts where tight, last time I checked them.....:).... on the steering knuckle....:wrench:;)
BTW, Evan, after several trail rides my "beautiful paint job" now has custom mountain pinstripping the full length of this 80. It was bought to wheel, not to sit at car shows.

Jeff, I bought a set of E-sockets at Harbor Freight. They were smaller, but I think they had a set that included the E-12 too.

hmm if memory serves me i just double nutted the studs and used a normal socket... some ali on here would have showed me that trick... but def proper nut torque is the key and holds the stud/arm in place. those come loose sometimes when you are servicing the front axle and taking arms off, etc. unless i'm thinking of a different part, and then, well... YMMV

Harbor Freight has these star sockets. Going to get a set today. Thanks again for info on this site.

If you are on the trail there are a ton of ways around an E-12 socket if needed. I dont carry an E-12 because I check my junk before I leave and dont ever plan on changing or addressing the studs on the trail but I do carry spares if you need them.:flipoff2:

Checking over the rig before the ride is smart. I have the parts and the tools now to fix those steering knuckles , on my rig or someone else's.
Thanks to Evan, I now know about this potential issue.
Any other issues that I should be prepared for on an 80? Let me know, thanks. Every 4x4 out there has it's weak points.

Checking over the rig before the ride is smart. I have the parts and the tools now to fix those steering knuckles , on my rig or someone else's.
Thanks to Evan, I now know about this potential issue.
Any other issues that I should be prepared for on an 80? Let me know, thanks. Every 4x4 out there has it's weak points.

Jeff - I think we have also talked potential head gasket issues. As far as I can tell, the best way to avoid this (other than replacing the head gasket as a preventive measure) is to do frequent coolant flushes. I think the Toyota recommended maintenance is every two years and even once a year would probably not be a bad idea. I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas.

Yes, I have heard a lot about the head gasket, and the PHH. I have replaced the PHH and Have done 2 antifreeze exchanges since I got this 80 in Feb 2018. I have changed the engine oil 3 times in 4000 miles. All other fluids have been changed, too.

I can try to protect that gasket. I don't know if the head gasket has ever been changed, but, so far, no coolant or oil loss. 215K miles. I have always cut in half manufacturers recommendations on most all of my vehicles. Hope this prolongs this 80.
Excessive, maybe, but I do not know the previous history of my 80, so I am overprotective of it right now. I hope to drive this rig until they take my driver's license away. So, let me know about what you know about these tough 4x4's. Thanks.

Wits-end has the whole knuckle stud kit with the right socket.

Jeff Boggs....Jeff Boggs.... I knew a Jeff Boggs once up on time.... in the earliest days of Albuquerque mountain biking....1983...1984....Cedro Peak....Otero Canyon....kidney dialysis.....

One in the same?

Jeff - there is another torque value that often gets overlooked and that is the torque on the stud itself. Just torquing the nut alone doesn't mean that the stud is also getting torqued into its home position. There is not an official torque value on the stud according to FSM but I think Cruiserdan came up with an estimated torque value.

You'll need to install both of these items dry, as in no Loctite or similar thread locking compound. Uncle Toyota did this dry originally so we should be able to continue with the mind set. Do make sure that all thread surfaces are clean and grease free of course.

What is that torque number Ali?

What is that torque number Ali?

Can't recall off the top of my head, maybe 40 ft lbs? I'd have to search for that info.

I thought I read that it was the same has the nut torque spec

Found this in another thread, looks like Trail Gear suggests using Loctite. Some folks say that a broken stud is hard to replace if Loctite is used, pros/cons both ways obviously.

knuckle stud torque

From Trail Gear site. - We recommend using Locktight on the lower threads when installing knuckle studs. Studs should be tightened to 20-25 ft-lbs in the knuckles. Stud nuts should be tightened to 80 - 100 ft-lbs.

From Marlin crawler site: 12mm Knuckle Stud | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

min 20 ft -lb, up to 45 ft-lb of torque on the studs.

Found this in another thread, looks like Trail Gear suggests using Loctite. Some folks say that a broken stud is hard to replace if Loctite is used, pros/cons both ways obviously.

Not that I plan on breaking one, but I won't use Loctite. Mr. Toyoda didn't, so I won't.

Jesus watches out for lil’ children and Toyota’s... spotted this on the trailer after 60 odd miles of trails in the San juans.
What’s that torque figure again?

47E65187-334E-46F9-AB40-F92E5B716393.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom