Question on service history. Makes me think twice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for a 100 series and came across one not too far from me. But there are some things that have me worried. The service history looks good and it seems anytime there was a problem with the land cruiser it was brought into Toyota to be fixed, most recently the gas tank was replaced due to rusting. That kinda sent off a red flag to me. The second thing that really bothers me was this service note

DRILLED HOLE IN BODY // ~|~CUSTOMER STATES SOUNDS LIKE WATER MOVING AROUND ON RIGHT SIDE. ~|~ ~|~176482 DRILLED HOLE ON RIGHT SIDE OF BODY TO REMOVE WATER FROM BODY

It mentions nothing of fixing what was actually causing the water to get in the body. Has anyone heard of this before? The repair was also done to the left side in a previous service. The dealership also said they applied Ziebart underbody rust protection on the frame. For me, it seems like that are trying to cover up rust issues.

My guess is the drain that is designed to drain the water was stopped up causing the sloshing water they heard. And the techs probably didn't even know of such a design.

I've never heard of having to drill into the body of a car to remove standing water. I suppose it could happen..?

Don't ask me how I know, but when your coolant system has as much air in it as coolant, there's plenty of water wooshing noises behind the dash.

The tank being replaced to rust would definitely be a red flag. Have you seen underside pictures?

Ya the rockers hold in water from all sorts of drains like your sunroof and from the fenders. When they're blocked with dirt, or Ziebart, they hold in water, and thus rust the rockers out......quick. Theres a design flaw of where the holes for these rockers are so small that a spray tip for a WD40 bottle can't fit in the hole.

See this forum of what is going to happen Rocker Rust Repair Options?

THanks for the responses. The service history was hit and miss up until the second owner. Once the second owner got it, the Land Cruiser went in for service 9 times within a year. It seems like the second owner was tired of replacing stuff and got rid of it. I have seen pictures of under it, but its very hard to tell since they sprayed the bottom of it with that ziebart stuff

did the LC spend it's life near you in IL? if so, you just have to expect it would have rust/rust treatment. Unfortunately because the pan that protects the fuel tank is what it is, it seems that the tanks rust at the seams once the plate starts to fall apart since it's not protecting the tank from the corrosive nature of driving in winter in the midwest.
Drilling into the car is another story. That seems shady, and i would want to lay my eyes on all of it before i made a decision.
There is a good chance that the second owner was just more persnickety than the first. I've done a lot this year since i purchased this LC- the previous owner did all the required service- i'm doing all the additional things that i think "should" be done. Doesn't mean the vehicle has problems, may just be a different standard for what was acceptable to them.
Nothing more valuable than actually seeing it in person though- good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom