question on ome lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
do i need to buy different shocks for my springs? Am I able to use my stock shocks for my ome heavy 2.5'' lift?

Stock will be ok for now. If you use the cruiser offroad you'll want to upgrade soon. I ran my ome 850/863 for about 6 months with stockers. I Just put on Pro Comps under $200.00 to the door (all 4). Not bad for the money and I here great warranty. They will be tested this weekend and May 9-16 in Moab.

you'll be OK with the stocker shockers. you wont be getting the most out of your lift with them though. oddly enough, the ome non L's are about the same length as the bilstein HD stock replacements, and those shocks are good for up to about a 2-2.5" lift.

eventually, you'll want to get a longer shock..

thanks i use my truck for mostly on road but i do drive on the beach and in the snow sometimes what would you recommend for not so stiff but really good for sometimes off-road shocks?

I wasn't satisfied with the OME shocks and since 3 years I do have Koni Heavy Traick Raid shocks.
The OME springs are ok, but the shocks ...:rolleyes:. After a year mine were really tired.

But, maybe the quality of the shocks are better now than a few years ago

thanks i'm gonna shop around then i see no reason to stick with one brand.

the ride is fantastic. handling much improved, they work well with either the ome heavies or mediums. not as soft as stock, just slightly firmer, road wallows and bump get soaked up nicely. its usually the springs which will determine the stiffness of the ride...

lift is on! now i need some new shoes and i will be changing out my shocks soon. my fronts were replaced by the PO and they are gas-a-just which seem ok but i don't know how old they are so i'll be changing all 4 corners. Just seeing what everyone is running on their FJ80? also any suggestions on a caster correction if its needed or not on the 2.5" lift? and are 33" too small or what?

For CC I went with slee 3* I had it checked before hand, cost $15.00.

medium OME springs and the Bilsteins here; no CC correction and no real need. Ride went from mushy to firm and composed- last set were monroe's of unknown age.

what do you mean that you had it checked and corrected before you lifted it? or that a CC kit was not needed even with the 3" slee kit?

what do you mean that you had it checked and corrected before you lifted it? or that a CC kit was not needed even with the 3" slee kit?

Most shops will just check the caster to see how far out you are for a small fee. I took mine to my local dealer. I had it checked not corrected at the shop, I corrected it. It's 3* not 3". My lift is in sig. This told me how far I needed to go to get the caster back in. I did run mine for a bit without. Not too bad around town and on interstate not loaded. Once the cruiser was loaded it was a no brainer. I cover a lot of miles and don't need to be chasing the cruiser around, totally exhausted when I get to where I'm going and I feel much safer. :)

p

Last edited:
You should do a SEARCH for "OME 851/850" or whatever springs you have. Bazzilllionnsss of knowledge! gonna take a good couple of hours of reading to get a grasp of the lifts and what is required to properly do a lift. From what I read caster plates are needed for anything over 3-3.5". Slee's blue bushings are best for 2-2.5" lifts. And I don't even have a lift, YET.....

I'm planning on a budget lift. OME j's 3.5", pro comp shocks, Slee's or landtank CC plates, home built spacers/extenders, ect.

What would be the poor man's way to get a simple 1.5-2.5 inch lift?

All is needed are new 2.5 ome springs and bilstein shocks??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom