Question about wiring volt meter

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by BladeRunner80, Mar 5, 2007.

1. BladeRunner80

BladeRunner80

Well, supposedly wiring a volt meter should be an easy task, but for some reason I keep blowing fuses when I put power to mine. Here is how I wired it, I had an opening on my "switched" fuse block, so I wired it directly into it and stuck a 15 amp blade fuse on it. Everytime I put power to it, the fuse blows. My ground is good, so what is the deal? Do I need to tap into a circuit off of some thing else rather then directly wire it to a fuse panel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

A volt meter has two leads: + and -. + goes to any switched 12V and - goes to ground. If it blows a fuse, maybe the meter is shorted or wired incorrectly.

3. theo

theo

And you're sure it's a voltmeter and not an ammeter? Voltmeter only draws a few milliamps.

4. BladeRunner80

BladeRunner80

Yeah, its a voltmeter. It says "volts" on the gauge face. I bought a three pod gauge cluster to replace the old one and instead of having a amp meter, it came with a volt meter. So I just ran new wires from the volt meter to my switched power fuse block. I'll take another look at it tonight, I must have botched something somewhere in the system.

5. theo

theo

Not sure what to say except look again. If you had a meter you could check for resistance through the voltmeter - should be very high.

Sounds an awful lot like a direct short to ground, like Pin said.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.