Question about wiring volt meter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bladerunner80.com
Well, supposedly wiring a volt meter should be an easy task, but for some reason I keep blowing fuses when I put power to mine. Here is how I wired it, I had an opening on my "switched" fuse block, so I wired it directly into it and stuck a 15 amp blade fuse on it. Everytime I put power to it, the fuse blows. My ground is good, so what is the deal? Do I need to tap into a circuit off of some thing else rather then directly wire it to a fuse panel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

A volt meter has two leads: + and -. + goes to any switched 12V and - goes to ground. If it blows a fuse, maybe the meter is shorted or wired incorrectly.

And you're sure it's a voltmeter and not an ammeter? Voltmeter only draws a few milliamps.

Yeah, its a voltmeter. It says "volts" on the gauge face. I bought a three pod gauge cluster to replace the old one and instead of having a amp meter, it came with a volt meter. So I just ran new wires from the volt meter to my switched power fuse block. I'll take another look at it tonight, I must have botched something somewhere in the system.

Not sure what to say except look again. If you had a meter you could check for resistance through the voltmeter - should be very high.

Sounds an awful lot like a direct short to ground, like Pin said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom