Question About Jack Stands (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tachycardic

SILVER Star
Threads
I received a pair of Sunex steel 3 ton jack stands (model 1003A) as a gift, but I am unclear as to their true rating. Is each jack stand capable of supporting 3 tons, or is it 3 tons for both? I don't have a hydraulic jack, so I would have to lift one corner at a time with a bottle jack. Thanks.

I received a pair of Sunex steel 3 ton jack stands (model 1003A) as a gift, but I am unclear as to their true rating. Is each jack stand capable of supporting 3 tons, or is it 3 tons for both? I don't have a hydraulic jack, so I would have to lift one corner at a time with a bottle jack. Thanks.

Jack stands are usually rated in pairs, so for these its 3 tons per pair. Lifting one corner at a time with the bottle jack and then placing a jack stand is perfectly acceptable.

What the other guys have said.
Also, please go get some quality 6 ton jack stands and do your diligence on how to properly set these up. Using these the right way could mean the difference between life or death.

What the other guys have said.
Also, please go get some quality 6 ton jack stands and do your diligence on how to properly set these up. Using these the right way could mean the difference between life or death.
Word

I have two pairs of 12 ton stands for supporting the vehicle itself if I do suspension work. Then a pair of 6 ton stands for supporting the axle to remove a tire etc.

3 ton stands are only for supporting the axle when off the rig or unloaded (like when the frame is supported by the 12 ton stand and I need to droop out the axle to remove a coilovers)

Okay, so it sounds like the 3 ton jack stands are not the way to go. I'm just doing fluid changes and swapping out the old suspension for new coils and dampers. It appears that I need at least 6 ton jack stands this this type of work?

Most fluid changes won't require you to jack it up at all. I use Rhino ramps when I'm working under the engine but not removing the tires (maybe safer, but its just more convenient for me).

Do you use the normal Rhino ramps, or the heavy duty ones? Thinking about buying a pair, but have heard some horror stories, and seen pics on Amazon, about them failing.

Word

I have two pairs of 12 ton stands for supporting the vehicle itself if I do suspension work. Then a pair of 6 ton stands for supporting the axle to remove a tire etc.

3 ton stands are only for supporting the axle when off the rig or unloaded (like when the frame is supported by the 12 ton stand and I need to droop out the axle to remove a coilovers)

100% agree.

Buy like you plan to support a Abrams tank - I was very young and never met the guy, but I had a 2nd cousin who died when his vehicle slipped from the supports & he suffocated with the car on him.

It was circa 1977 as I was roughly 5yo, but ever since I overkill on jackstands like a M-F’er.

And no HF / Pittsburgh branded ones, ever - that recall banner is still scrolling for me time to time on this forum.

Do you use the normal Rhino ramps, or the heavy duty ones? Thinking about buying a pair, but have heard some horror stories, and seen pics on Amazon, about them failing.

Mine are the normal ones. I wouldn't necessarily "recommend" them for the cruiser but I had them and they worked fine. I also store/use them in a garage on a hard flat concrete floor, out of the sunlight, not soaked in chemicals, etc.... so I'm confident they haven't been abused. Just saw the amazon reviews, I might rethink my approach...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom