PZJ70 modified (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the idea with the aluminum, since the paper/carpet side panels always look shabby.
What did you cut the aluminum with, and how did you take the sharp edges off? Also, how did you bolt it in, into the holes where the snap-on thingies otherwise go?
thank you,
Jan

Hi Jan,
the aluminum was sheared to the outside dimentions and then trimmed using a 10 tooth jig saw with beeswax on the blade. works like a damn. once that is done then you can use a file and run it around the edges to clean them up and smooth them off...
i looked at doing the nutzerts into the existing holes but i didn't for a couple reasons, last time i did the metal is very thin and the nutzerts had a habit of turning on me and also i wanted to be albe to go back to stock if i wanted to. i used 1/4 (i think) self tappers into the flange around the hole. this seemed to give good meat to drill into.

one thing i forgot to mention, when doing the scetching for the final cut do it all on the back side for a couple reasons, the jig saw pulls up so any chipping is on the back side and if you do mess up on the drawing then it is out of sight...

i did not cut for the vents and i will check to see if i have any problems, if i do it is easy enough to cut them in later.

cheers

Jan-78FJ40 said:
Great, thank you!
Jan

We have jigsaw at the shop, and I am still looking for a good deal in the sheer. I wonder if a nice bandsaw would work well, I have wanted to get one of those for a while now :doh:

I want to do inside of the half doors on my 42 the same as Wayne did on the 70 series.

the material is available at all the local metal shops.

Looks very nice Wayne, and easy to clean up as well.

Cheers,

Michael

thanks Micheal,
the next step is a rubber floor, pull out the rug and install a 1/8" thick moulded rubber floor cover front to back. this way it will be like the old 40s, easily cleaned...

Great idea. It looks nice Wayne. Thats pretty awesome that you were able to keep a parts truck and turn it into something cool like that.
Now have the only PZJ70 Troopie I know of. :)

Cheers,
Nick

crushers said:
thanks Micheal,
the next step is a rubber floor, pull out the rug and install a 1/8" thick moulded rubber floor cover front to back. this way it will be like the old 40s, easily cleaned...

Very cool. Here is the link of some stuff I am planning on using on my next project:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_introduction.html

Lots of variety and works really well.

Cheers,

Michael

I likey the use of old cruiser seats, my kids would love it.

The stainless panels look trick.

Used the dynamat in the 75 pickup project, on the floors and firewall, world of difference.

tlcruiserman said:
Very cool. Here is the link of some stuff I am planning on using on my next project:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_introduction.html

Lots of variety and works really well.

Cheers,

Michael

snowking said:
I told it would look coooooooooolllllllllllllllll !!!!
yah yah, so you were right ...again.

nickw said:
Great idea. It looks nice Wayne. Thats pretty awesome that you were able to keep a parts truck and turn it into something cool like that.
Now have the only PZJ70 Troopie I know of. :)

Cheers,
Nick
thanks Nick,
i was thinking of a aluminum dog barrier behind the front seats which really makes the truck look like a "paddy wagon" but i opted out since i do like the muts coming up front...

Radd Cruisers said:
I likey the use of old cruiser seats, my kids would love it.

The stainless panels look trick.

Used the dynamat in the 75 pickup project, on the floors and firewall, world of difference.
Thanks Rob,

actually SS would be great but it isn't in the budget, the aluminum seems to work fine...
Rob F is looking into some rubber for the floor, i want to try that first and see how i like it...
cheers

denis said:
SS : heavier, harder to work, I say aluminium is a far better choice :grinpimp:

Brain output error, meant to say aluminum.

I have never liked the fibre board door panels, so sensitive to water in water crossing and such.

There is a plastic material my upholstery shop is using now, suppose to be a better product when water is a issue.

Stainless is awful to work with. No way your shear couls have cut 3/16 stainless. I actually surprised the shear you used could handle 3/16 alum. Thats thick stuff.

My shear at my old job was hydraulic and over 20 feet long. Cool eh.

Now I got nada for a shear. I would be happy to have a break.

brownbear said:
Stainless is awful to work with. No way your shear couls have cut 3/16 stainless. I actually surprised the shear you used could handle 3/16 alum. Thats thick stuff.

My shear at my old job was hydraulic and over 20 feet long. Cool eh.

Now I got nada for a shear. I would be happy to have a break.

Whassa matter? Can't get a break in life?

:grinpimp:

I think it's spelled brake. I used to have access to some gawd awful flywheel shear that made the entire shop floor shake, but that's long gone now, used to eat up 3/16 like it was buttah. Then again, it did 1/2 cold rolled!! BANG.

I think the rear 40 seats look good. Then again I think 80s look like something that came out of a cow's ass, so to each his own.

Wayne, I'm surprised you hadn't thought of selling it, maybe you are onto something. Most JDM importers bring in trucks that are gorgeous, but they are a little too nice for people like me. The rust that's going through my 60 has me thinking of an HJ61 with lockers, but I want one that I can wheel without crying. Maybe there is something to be said about less than pristine JDM spec rigs that are still solid, but not "as new". I would much rather save a few thousand and have someone else eat the depreciation of the first bush pinstriping and dents. I think that you may find that a lot of people feel the same. Let's face it, even with higher mileages and a scruffier interior a JDM truck is still nicer than what I drive now...

thanks for the compliment.

as for not thinking about selling, it isn't as nice as i like to sell but it does run excellent. it was to be a parts truck so what it was worth as a complete unit wasn't a thought at the time, now that the turbo is on order and the other mods are nearly done i have to think this one over...
i really would like to keep it for River Shiver... but then i do have another LJ78 i can take out for that...
okay enough rambling for now...

i do bring in other than pristene units but that is a special order and the customer has to realise he is not getting pristene.
you can easily save thousands by going for a bit higher milage and faded paint. why do you think i drive beaters? i do not deserve a nice rig, it would be beaten in very short time and filled with dog hair as well...

cheers

tlcruiserman said:
We have jigsaw at the shop, and I am still looking for a good deal in the sheer. I wonder if a nice bandsaw would work well, I have wanted to get one of those for a while now :doh:
Michael

I use aluminum checker plate for the pickguards of the electric guitars I make, and it's all cut on a bandsaw. Bandsaws make short work of pretty much any non-ferrous metal.

Wayne:

I really like the look of the 40 seats - I may just have to copy that...The leg room and access to the back seat on the 73 really is the pits, especially with RHD - and it's illegal to ride back there anyway, without seatbelts :eek:...

thanks Jim, i kow what youa re saying and agree completely. not only is there poor (read nonexistent) legroom but a PITA to get in and out of...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom