Builds PZJ70 build-refurbish!? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mines a 1990 LX.... It has the KO85 rear lsd 4.11 diff., central locking , air con and power windows.....I bought it as a dd at 113,000 and its just hit 350,000 , half of that towing about a ton......Great little truck , reliable as hell.
electric front hubs are crap , replaced with manual , dual mass fly wheel are crap , replaced with solid at 125,000....A set or headers realy freed up the revs and make the 1pz like a petrol too drive
When i bought it it would do 140kmph and used 1ltr of oil every 10,000......Nothing has changed , if anything it goes even better with the headers......Had the gear box rebuilt at 200,000 but i think 2 dual mass fly wheels falling too bits may have given it a shake up....The R151 isnt the strongest LC box , but in a shorty thats not getting abused they should be as strong as any of the competition.

Thanks for your comments and video! Good to hear feedback from others who own the 1PZ R151 combo. Like I say, I think it is a solid power train in a SWB.

What flywheel did you use? I saw Exedy makes an upgrade. My thoughts are Toyota used the dual mass flywheel for a good reason, likely to keep vibrations down and keep it smooth. On many levels it is hard for me to disagree with Toyota engineers. I am curious to see what this one looks like when I pull the trans to do the clutch.

Cheers

I think the truck had power door locks at one time due to the switch hole in the panel. I will know for sure once I pull the panel. I may be replacing this panel and will be replacing all of the interior trim snaps that holds the panels in place.

View attachment 1498349
View attachment 1498350
View attachment 1498351
View attachment 1498352
View attachment 1498353

Cheers

The hole in that door panel is for the power lock switch,I have a few of those laying around.

The hole in that door panel is for the power lock switch,I have a few of those laying around.

I will get back to you on that and some other stuff soon. Thanks man, you rock!

Cheers

I didn't realize yours was a Colombian truck. Gas then huh? Got a link to a build thread? I been to Colombia four times, great country and tons of Cruisers but they are all gassers. I have seen a few here with the 1fz, I am thinking that moves a swb pretty good.

And yes they do like butt ugly wheels in Latin America.

Good on ya for spelling "Colombia" correctly, I see that counties name spelled wrong way to much.

I have seen two 73s where I am with a diesel, not sure if they were the 3B or 1PZ though. I want one and just missed a really good one by about three weeks. They are rare here where I am at.

Cheers

Yeah, it is a 3F gasser hence the FJ73. I do wish it was a FZJ73 or HZJ73.

If the Canadians and Russians haven't picked over JDM trucks too much, I predict the US market will be flooded with JDM spec HZJ7X / PZJX models in the next few years. Many of them on the Japanese auctions week by week.

Yeah, it is a 3F gasser hence the FJ73. I do wish it was a FZJ73 or HZJ73.

If the Canadians and Russians haven't picked over JDM trucks too much, I predict the US market will be flooded with JDM spec HZJ7X / PZJX models in the next few years. Many of them on the Japanese auctions week by week.

Ya I been watching the JDM auction sites for years. Great trucks on there but I am just not a RHD guy and think there are many others like me. We don't need to go there though do we!? ;)

Cheers

Nice looking rig, not totally sure about the facelift front but it's better looking than my Prado I suppose.
Give that R151 a pre-emptive rebuild & it'll be fine for another 200k miles I'd guess. They do wear out but it takes a lot of hard miles. I've been abusing one with a 1UZ V8 in my LJ71 for years & the only issue I've had was grenading reverse while being an idiot doing donuts. After that I put in another one from a mate's junk pile which had a bit of a whine from worn input vs countershaft gears, still went fine for maybe 10K miles until I decided to shout it a rebuild, after the rebuild I towed a fairly heavy 5m boat 1400km home from the South Is... no worries.

Would be able to snap me a better pic of the clutch booster please? I recently put a heavy duty clutch in mine & my lady has made a few noises about it being a bit too hard (the clutch pedal :rolleyes:) A booster might be a nice easy fix for that but I think it might be a long shot to fit on the RHD

Cheers
Clint

Ya I been watching the JDM auction sites for years. Great trucks on there but I am just not a RHD guy and think there are many others like me. We don't need to go there though do we!? ;)

Cheers

There will always be a niche market for LHD 70 series cruisers so I think it is great you are supplying that market.

I noticed the front windshield is tinted on your PZJ70. Mine was also tinted entirely and it caused me headaches by overzealous state inspectors. It was hard to remove.

Must be another South American thing to tint front windshields.

Last edited:
Nice looking rig, not totally sure about the facelift front but it's better looking than my Prado I suppose.
Give that R151 a pre-emptive rebuild & it'll be fine for another 200k miles I'd guess. They do wear out but it takes a lot of hard miles. I've been abusing one with a 1UZ V8 in my LJ71 for years & the only issue I've had was grenading reverse while being an idiot doing donuts. After that I put in another one from a mate's junk pile which had a bit of a whine from worn input vs countershaft gears, still went fine for maybe 10K miles until I decided to shout it a rebuild, after the rebuild I towed a fairly heavy 5m boat 1400km home from the South Is... no worries.

Would be able to snap me a better pic of the clutch booster please? I recently put a heavy duty clutch in mine & my lady has made a few noises about it being a bit too hard (the clutch pedal :rolleyes:) A booster might be a nice easy fix for that but I think it might be a long shot to fit on the RHD

Cheers
Clint

The R151 came in the USA behind the factory turbo'ed 22RE in 4-Runners (Surf to you), I believe 1986-87. Very desirable trans for the mini-truck guys. Check out the Marlin Crawler website, R151F Turbo | Marlin Crawler, Inc.. Fully rebuilt with upgrades is like $1300 from them, you can buy three of the R151's from MC for the price of a new H55. The one in the 87 pick up I had was swapped in. Really nice trans in the mini truck.

Oh ya, I will snap ya a pic of the clutch booster tomorrow.

Cheers

Last edited:
Clint , both my cruisers have clutch boosters .....Its hard too find on the 75 but clear as day on the 70

Acutualy the 75 doesnt but the 70 does

20170718_183004.jpg

20170718_182945.jpg

Thanks guys, that's a really big help! The one in RMP&O's LHD truck probably wouldn't fit but I never knew there was such a thing as a clutch booster on the inside of the firewall & that one could be a go. Will have to sniff around for used parts &/or go bamboozle the local Toyota parts guy.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks guys, that's a really big help! The one in RMP&O's LHD truck probably wouldn't fit but I never knew there was such a thing as a clutch booster on the inside of the firewall & that one could be a go. Will have to sniff around for used parts &/or go bamboozle the local Toyota parts guy.

Cheers
Clint

Hey no worries Clint.

I have no idea if it will work in a RHD cruiser but I can tell you it makes the clutch pedal pretty soft.

Good luck!

Cheers

Water pump and everything to do the timing belt is in hand. Also got about half of what I need to rebuild the knuckles-outer axles, rest will be here on Thursday. I even bought Toyota wheel bearing grease and silicone. Also got the p/s reservoir showing up then too. Got every leaf spring bushing in hand as well. All Toyota parts! ;)

Drove the truck around town today fetching parts and man is it nice now that the trans shifter is rebuilt.

I can't get everything I want down here parts wise so buying a buch of parts from Cruiserparts, Amayama, Beno, Joeri and others which I will have shipped to my home bases in the USA.

Unfortunately it looks like I got to ship this truck up rather than drive up. Rather not get into the details of that but that is how it is playing out. Probably ship a 1HZ engine with it along with some other stuff.

Lots of pics to come as I work on installing the new parts.

Cheers

I have received no parts orders.

You will, working out what to get from whom and where.

I support the forum and those on here who support it and you happen to be one of many. Plus I use my own sources as well. ;)

Cheers

You will, working out what to get from whom and where.

I support the forum and those on here who support it and you happen to be one of many. Plus I use my own sources as well. ;)

Cheers

Oh ok. No worries. Just wondering if I missed something on my end with my relocation.

Oh ok. No worries. Just wondering if I missed something on my end with my relocation.

Not at all. Your last email was received. Like I say just working out who, what, when and where.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom