Puzzled- Excessive Oil in Throttle body (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trying to track down my vacuum leak, I have a port underneath the intake that has a cap on it. Hum….?? See pictures below. I don’t see a vacuum line on the schematic with a cap?

032CEEBC-5AD2-4F9A-84DD-6067B58C702F.jpeg

5441EA5E-25D8-4F54-A8FA-DEF30AC6918B.jpeg

Now- P0172 code? I’m still looking for my vacuum leak and now I’m randomly getting a P0172 code? P0172 indicates that there is “too much gasoline being detected in the exhaust gases exiting the combustion chamber”?? Thoughts???

P0172 could be caused by a faulty o2 sensor among many other possible causes. I throw the o2 issue out as one of the possible causes because you could have fouled your sensor(s) with the amount of oil that's passing through the exhaust. I really don't know if that's happened but it's definitely possible as is degradation of cat functionality.

There are also temp sensors, the maf, fuel pressure regulator, etc. that factor into fuel delivery rates and these could be causing actual excess fuel delivery and not just a faulty reading which a fouled o2 could cause.

Scenarios like this show why it can be valuable to consistently track your fuel and oil consumption over time so that you know what the norms are and can connect trends in consumption with fault codes or other diagnostic needs. If you don't already I'd start carefully monitoring your mpg, and oil consumption rates per mile. If, for example, the oil problem is caused by rings that are very slow to seat they could possibly continue to improve slowly over time and close monitoring of oil consumption could show a gradual reduction of oil consumption that corresponds. Of course driving style/conditions can throw off mpg a lot, etc. and you may not run this thing enough to get the long term numbers you need, but you get the idea, it can be an easy and useful insight into what's up with your engine tune.

In case it's helpful here are the data points that I track every time I fill up the tank, before I reset the trip odo:

Dateodotrip odopri/galgallocation

From those the mpg and fuel spend are calculated automatically. I've tracked this information over multiple autos for decades. These days I have a Google Spreadsheet that I simply open on my phone and plug the data into while the pump runs. That spreadsheet ties into my broader maintenance logs/etc. and makes it easy for me to know current mileage/etc. This approach is surely overkill for most folks but is actually easy once it's setup and could give you some better metrics for what's going on in your current situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom