Putting in trailer wiring: how to do it *right*? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I just got a hitch, but it occured to me that I need trailer wiring. A search reveals tons of people saying that borked up trailer wiring is responsible for all manner of ills. But nobody says how to do it.

What, then, is the *right* way to hook up trailer wiring? Where do I splice? What plug? What mounting location? Etc, etc. There should be a tech article about this, but there isn't. My hitch (uhaul-branded DrawTite as far as I can tell) does not appear to have a wiring mounting location.

I know when i worked on my trailer wiring (it was installed prior to my purchase, but the indicators had stopped working), there was what seemed to be a toyota plug in the passenger side panel in the rear - that would be the best spot to splice in. Also note that this was the passenger side of a right hand drive, so it may be in the driver side of a LHS, or it may be in the passenger side (of a LHD)

trailer wiring

I usually splice a foot or two in front of the rear bumper, everything should be there except for trailer brakes, which if you need, you will be running a wire from the brake adjuster to the back, in which there will be a diagram with most you purchase. As for the trailer wiring, just grab a cold beer, a buddy, and a test light. You will obviously have the buddy working the blinkers and whatnot while you are under checking what is what. whrit them down! if you need to find the diagram for the 4wire or 7wire plug, search around the12volt.com, you should find more info there, good luck.

I'd make the electrical connections up inside the left rear fender near the window washer bag. Its dry up there and the connections don't corrode like they would inder the truck.

I've gone through several 60s and several wiring adapters and I never had bright trailer tail lights until I used an adapter that has a power lead going to the battery. At the auto parts store they are like 70-80$ compared to the $15 non powered ones. I ended up using one for a Grand Cherokee - $20 from ebay.

Just make good wire connection, None of those quick wire connector/splicers. Use solder where you can and good wire connectors with shrink wrap. The time you spend doing it right will save you countless hours in the future chasing problems.

Dynosoar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom