Putting Humpty Dumpty back together - 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man, talk about a buzz-kill. I mentioned it to momma tonight and the idea didn't go over very well. Can't say that I disagree, but I also know that I can stomach parts and time a lot easier than I can stomach what a complete running truck would be, at least today.

So maybe it gets an LS and it gets a few more dents. I mean they don't call it the madness for nothing do they. And at the very least I just did it backwards, I got a pile of spare parts and now I need a truck to use them on.

For now, I just need it off the trailer so I can find the next project.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill at all but a non running/poorly converted/poorly running 40 that is in tact isn't that hard to find.

If you were going to button up this one and get it going I'd say go for it.

H55s, 3FEs, LeDs, leather seats......

Get a better starting point.

No worries, but I see where your heading with that.

Just something to beat around in, put it together with the least outlay and effort.
Based on end goal I've suggested, put money in right places and don't make more work than necessary for myself.

Fair summary?

I get that.

Hey, if you've got the time (which is what this'll take) you can make it happen. Really, time is the big factor here. Sheet metal and wires are cheap; it's figuring out where each wire goes and fabbing and welding, grinding, etc. that will eat up your time. If you have the skills and of course, the free time to sort everything out, go for it. You'll certainly have a greater sense of pride in the finished project. If you make this a labor of love, you'll get tons of satisfaction out of it. Depends on your personality of course.

I will echo what @wngrog said though; you'd be surprised what you can get a running 40 for these days (if you decide to go that route).

If you decide to stay with this project I would echo part of the message. Restore/build the rolling chassis and put in the drivetrain of choice but find a better tub than what I see in those pics. Sure you can patch it up but there is a line that one shouldn't cross once the decay goes too far. I've got a couple of tubs sitting over here doing nothing that acre far better than the one you are working on if it comes to that.

Thanks @Bossman at this point, I am kind of at that point where I have to make a call. I am leaning towards getting a rolling chassis put together and then going from there as the frame looks solid and regardless of what body I used, the tires, springs, brakes, shocks, axles, etc. are all things that I would want to replace/ upgrade regardless. That also gives me some time to sort out motor and drivetrain, again, likely things that would be fiddled with as well, so I think I can get to that point and not be out much if any more than I would be with a different rig and by then maybe the piggybank will have recovered some from the beating it took while building the house and I can look for solid bodies, etc. And if I happen upon a good truck that just needs springs or disc brakes, I can always swap out parts and just keep Humpty as a parts pile.

I sure would love to see that 1964 corrugated hard top get restored
Me too! Is a long way from perfect but the rust situation in not bad at all.

These arrived today....
0915161057_HDR.jpg

Very nice units, too bad I'm 18 months or more from trying them out.... Maybe I will put them in the samurai for the interim, just to see how nice they are...

Well after a couple months off this project and after starting to get settled in at the house and a lot of pondering I actually got out and started working on this thing again.

I'm still working on details, but I think I have a general direction. Anyway, I pulled the front clip off and got it stashed. Just have the roof, tub and frame and I will have everything off the trailer.

1113161654_HDR-1.jpg

I did get all the front clip parts stored and I'm going to work on getting the rest off this week. Since there isn't any rain in the forecast for as far as they try to guess up here I should be good.

Also, broke out the proper tool for the job today.
1113161633_HDR-1.jpg

Won't be breaking any speed records, but hopefully I'll start making some steady progress.

Last edited:
Ok, body stuff aside, general plan I think I've come up with is as follows:

• Rebuild front axle and do front disc conversion using mini truck somponents
  • Rebuild rear axle and do @Bossman rear disc conversion
  • Looking at 60 series 2F/h42/split-case drivetrain, AFI setup for 2F
  • Blaat, clean and paint the stock frame
  • 2.5" OME suspension setup
  • 33"-34" tires, wheels still TBD
  • Mini-truck power steering using 2F pump (possibly do 60 series PS depending on what I come up with)
Contemplating relocating the fuel tank to rear as well. Body work is still a toss up, but I'm thinking I will work on it along and if I happen upon a solid tub then at the very least it will be an excellent learning tool for me.

I know I am likely gonna catch some hell for some of it, and I haven't got the first part ordered, so don't be surprised if things evolve some. The drivetrain is the thing I'm still the most fluid on currently. Anyway, I'd welcome thoughts from some more experienced 40 folks.

Unfortunately Humpty has been parked for now. I have the 4spd project about to crank up on the 80 when all the parts get here and once I get some space cleared out and a number of other projects in deck ahead of him, so I made him a nice little spot and parked him close so if/when the time comes I can move home right on into the barn to get started.

0102171341-1.jpg

Also, I am thinking of putting the complete pto winch setup up for sale if any of you guys know anybody who might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom