Push rod or something else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would start a new thread for this. I changed out my fuel pump and then started experiencing some chatter under the hood after the drive home. Sounded like valves way out of adjustment, but with a significant knock. It increases/decreases with speed. I thought it was the new pump.

Changed back to the old pump. Noise is still there. Upon further investigation it really seems to be coming from the front of the motor, but up high. I suspected the water pump, but it just doesn't feel like that. No weeping from the pump, either.

Before all this, in the last 3-4 weeks, I had a local cruiser "guru" work on it, but have since started to question his abilities and especially his thoroughness. The truck had to go in for valve adjustment, vacuum leaks and get the smog equipment up to par. He didn't chase any of the leaks as my BVSV valves were both severely cracked. In the end he took vacuum from another source and fooled the EGR into working in order to pass smog. He also had my timing screwed up. He then left it that way and told me I was good to go. The truck ended up going back multiple time to get it right and he never truly fixed everything. The guy is a hack. That's another story...

Anyhow, I am wondering if he left something loose under the valve cover that could eventually work its way loose and now is starting to chatter away. The truck runs quite well and pulls strong, but when it heats up the noise really comes on strong.

Thanks for any help!

The valve adjustment involves an adjustment screw with a lock nut. If the lock nut is not tightened properly, then the adjustment screw could work it's way loose.

Valve adjustment is not that hard to do. Any competent mechanic with the proper specifications should be able to do it. You could probably check the valves to see if one is way loose, but you would have to remove the valve cover and get the engine to TDC (top dead center) on the compression and exhaust strokes for #1.
valve adjustment.JPG

I have the FSM so I will look at it this weekend. Hope nothing is trashed. It WAS a good running MAF rebuild from the PO. Ugh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom