Purchasing a 2004 LC, help identifying undercarriage issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

New member here. Longtime Toyota guy with 2 3rd gen 4runners. I Finally can justify stepping up to a LC due to a growing family:) Looking at a 03-05 ideally for upgraded tranny and no VVTI ideally as I understand they are an 'interference' engine if TB breaks (though I would get one if that is what came available).

Anyhow, looking at an 04 that looks great with good records etc. The only issue, which does not seem major, though I am appealing to you experts here for confirmation of that, is with the cross member here at the tranny(I'm including the picture I have). It looks as though it has been removed and from other pictures I've seen should have 4 bolts on each side? What does this picture tell you?

I'm going to look at it Sunday. What do you guys think? It has had several diff and transfer case flushes over the years but I don't think you would remove this for that would you?

I appreciate your thoughts and/or suggestions of what else to look for or ask about this.

Cheers!
-ignacio

undercarriage.jpg

I’d bet that whoever is selling it had a t-case skid plate mounted there, which they removed to sell separately or put on a future 100. They then just half-assed putting that factory crossmember back in.

Here’s a pic of my 04LC for reference, all stock, southern truck:

DB004A18-375D-4F5B-A257-6EC1F99598F1.jpeg

Thank you for the replies gents.

That cross member is the only evidence of shoddiness from the pictures I have. Everything else looks great with extensive fluid and bearing maintenance according to the carfax. This one is a California truck with the last 5 or 6 years here in CO. We'll see how it is in person as I've been let down once already.

In addition to the missing bolts you guys have pointed out, comparing to your picture Couvi, I see a bolt that holds down some other plate or (?) just in front of the cross member and bolted to the frame rail. In 'mine' the plate or whatever it is is clearly broken.

I'll definitely be looking at the undercarriage tomorrow for any evidence of abuse, but from the picture the gas tank shield, transmission cover and everything else look good. Even the other side of the cross member looks good with the two front bolts there.

Something happened with the passenger side...

Anyone have a picture of the undercarriage from that cross member forward?

I just noticed the other picture available of the undercarriage is from the driver side going forward but it doesn't help to see what's going on with the passenger side. It does seem like maybe it's missing a skid plate?

Even if it is, what I can see looks good to me...I suppose we'll see. Hope, Hope:)

undercarriage 2.jpg

I'd trade a couple missing bolts for that spotless underbelly any day...nice find

That looks really clean, like mine. But it does look like the front skid plate is missing.

Maybe the PO tried to remove those bolts for whatever reason and snapped them off. Look into the holes where they are missing and see if there is a through hole there or a siezed and broken off bolt. In that case, at least you know what you're dealing with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom