Puma 12V Compressor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tontorecreationalliance.org
The little Puma compressor came, I got it wired and here are some first impressions;

It's a small unit, 17"L x 17"H x 7.5"W overall at the widest points, the coupler sticks out, if relocated it would be ~6" wide. Pretty lightweight at 32lb 5oz with the wire.

Ran it for the break-in on a battery charger, it relatively quiet, and [STRIKE][STRIKE]pulled 22 amps at 14.7v without a load, according to the charger's gauge. At full load, just before the tank was full it showed 25 amps, so 10G wire will be fine. 25 amp at 14.7v = ~.5 HP.[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] Additional, more realistic testing was done by LandCruiserPhil and shows it to use more amps. Best bet is to wire it for 50amp draw.

After the break-in run moved it to the truck for some tests running off of the battery, all with the engine running; Mine is set to come on at 95 psi and off at 135 psi, it took 1 min 15 sec to fill the tank, 0-135 psi. Set my Nitto 295's at 18 psi and aired them up to 32 psi, the first one starting with a full tank took ~45 sec, the others took ~1 min. Did the same with one of my 37x12.5" Coopers, took 1 min 30 sec.

Plugged in my IR2115 3/8" impact and was able to get all 6 lug nuts off of one wheel before it needed to build back up!:cool: This surprised me, thought I would have to wait on it at least once getting a tire off. One of my 2115's and a set of impact sockets are going in the rig's tool kit.

The overall quality looks good, with one little nit pick. It only comes with stubby power wires and the hot side wire had an end that was to large for the relay terminal, causing a poor connection. Didn't matter, I replaced it with 20' of 10G landscape lighting wire with battery clips on the other end. The air output coupler is a universal type, fits the three common short fittings. It's also the type where the collar stays back when disconnected, just push in the fitting and it locks, looks to be nice quality.

It didn't come with air hose, I used Coilhose Pneumatics's Flexeel 1/4" x 25', nice light, durable hose.

The quality and performance looks promising, will see how it preforms on the trail.:D Mine came from Buzzard Gulch on ebay, search "Puma 12v" and they will come up.
puma_1.jpg
puma_2.jpg
puma_3.jpg

Last edited:
how about an update on how this compressor is working for you?

Very happy with it, works great.:cool: Have had to use the impact a couple of times on the trail and it sure beats hand wrenching.:wrench:

Puma

Hello, I am new here but really like the site.I have had this compressor for almost three years . For the first 1.5 yrs I used it as a complete unit as shown above, when I bought the Tacoma I took it apart and used the pieces for my oba system and it really works great! I use it a lot for tires, mine as well as everyone else's. Used it for small nailgun jobs, impact gun , blowing out the cab, filling air mattresses and much more. It kicks butt for the price.
on board air puma.jpg
on board air puma (2).JPG

Hello, I am new here but really like the site.I have had this compressor for almost three years . For the first 1.5 yrs I used it as a complete unit as shown above, when I bought the Tacoma I took it apart and used the pieces for my oba system and it really works great! I use it a lot for tires, mine as well as everyone else's. Used it for small nailgun jobs, impact gun , blowing out the cab, filling air mattresses and much more. It kicks butt for the price.

Nice job.:cheers:

I plan on divorcing nine, mounting the pump in the rear cargo area and the tank underneath. Are the threaded fittings all standard, easily available sizes, it looks like you used regular plumbing fittings? Where did you put the head unloader valve and pressure switch?

Thanks, The fittings are all standard Pipe sizes . The unloader is the first thing out of the head I used a small inline one I found at Grainger. I can look it up if you want. Pressure switch is at the tank along with the check valve inlet.

Thanks for the info! One question, did this unit come with a pressure switch already wired in?

Thanks for the info! One question, did this unit come with a pressure switch already wired in?

Yes, the only thing that I changed was the very short 12v supply wires.

how did you end up mounting the puma in your 40? i just got mine.

very cool setup! could you post up the unloader valve you got at grainger. any closer pics of it in the engine bay? Thanks

caleb

Hey, Tools, out of curiousity, where do you strap the Puma down in the back of your truck? I just got mine and am now rounding out the other bits, like longer power wires.

Could you use this guy to energize a air actuated locking diff?

Sure, IIRC the air lockers require lower pressure, the compressor comes with a regulator, so no problem.

Long term report?

Where do you get one of these?

Thanks,

Long term report?

Where do you get one of these?

Thanks,

It is still kickin tail, the best bang for the buck in electric compressors. Have used it a ton, usually airs at least two rigs after trail runs, has done several trail repairs and never misses a beat. A bunch of CSC guys run them and a bunch of CO2 bottles have been sold.:hillbilly:

The Puma in my truck is still running like a champ as well! I can be all aired up before my buddies have just finished one tire with the mv50 type compressors that are so popular. In frustration they finish up using the puma.
I need to re plumb from my tank to my rear outlet as the rubber hose is cracked and leaking. Think I'm going to use 1/2" nylon air brake line this time. The stuff seems really tough and uses compression fittings.
anyone else using that type of line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom