Pulling smog equipment off 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why did you remove your OEM Toyota charcoal canister ?

- some parts in your engine bay that DO have vacuum hoses attached to them you DO need to leave in place and keep , for a host of reasons , this canister is one of them ......

It was said before get the “my desmog thread” manual. Read it and study it. Also see if there is anyone around with a running 2f 60 so you can compare yours.

Don’t get rid of any of those parts yet. So many parts are hard to come by and are expensive to replace if/when you need them down the road.

Keep that. It deflects heat from whatever air/fuel device you put on there. It's not disposable. You can trim it later, but it is a friend.
My Sniper doesn't mind it. Lots of heat coming off the manifold.
Emissions requirements suck, but assume Toyota engineers knew what they were doing. Take some time to understand what each part does and why.
Know that your advance curve on your timing will not be happy with desmogging. You will also have to account for high altitude adjustments.
These were the last Toyotas to come to the US with carbs. Toyota spent millions to make these trucks better then their redecessors while bowing to the suits in Congress. It has the most amazing carb ever and the best distributor you can get. Both of those are going to need modifications to make your 2F happy again. Everything you need to know is right here on MUD. It's a tractor motor they said 😄
It is... Hope you like grease under your nails.
Did some cruisers come without smog? I was under the impression only cali cruisers were smogged from the factory, but it’s sounding like Toyota engineered all 60s in a way that would pass smog.
the only reason this matters is if the FSM only has instruction for smogged cruisers. This would make my job a lot harder. I thought the FSMs were showing how to work on a 60 with no smog equipment…?

Why did you remove your OEM Toyota charcoal canister ?

- some parts in your engine bay that DO have vacuum hoses attached to them you DO need to leave in place and keep , for a host of reasons , this canister is one of them ......
Crap. Thought this was smog equipment. Im going to have to read that manual this weekend and rethink selling all my smog parts…

Crap. Thought this was smog equipment. Im going to have to read that manual this weekend and rethink selling all my smog parts…

i would MUD Advance search De-smogging a 2F FJ60

there are several approaches , that circle around a factory distributor and Carburetor being left in place USA-SPEC.

and going with a NON-USA De-Smog versions of both also ,

don't sell off JACK until you are fully versed in this somewhat complex topic and arena here TECH Wise ....

that;s my advise and im sure other folks will tell you same thing ,

if they tell you anything less here , don't listen to them ... :poof:

that's no joke either

@ToyotaMatt
A few questions. These probs belong on a different thread but Im sure you're following this one.
Is this part 90404-16160 Genuine Toyota Union - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~union~for~cylinder~head~90404-16160.html
the same as this one on your site? OEM TOYOTA Cylinder Head Coolant Temperature Sensor UNION Nut 90404 Fits ALL F & 2F Engines 1/75 -1987 FJ40, FJ55, FJ60 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/products/oem-toyota-cylinder-head-coolant-temperature-sensor-union-nut
Im assuming that if so that yours is better quality of course. I just picked up a fuel pump from you :D

Also, I found out I have 60 series bolts on a 40 series rocker arm set, if I ran with it as is with the mismatched parts and the bolts with half the threads would something terrible happen or more just bad etiquette? My tight budget is wrecking me and rather not spend 300 on a new rocker. But I want to hear your thoughts

Dan

@ToyotaMatt
A few questions. These probs belong on a different thread but Im sure you're following this one.
Is this part 90404-16160 Genuine Toyota Union - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~union~for~cylinder~head~90404-16160.html
the same as this one on your site? OEM TOYOTA Cylinder Head Coolant Temperature Sensor UNION Nut 90404 Fits ALL F & 2F Engines 1/75 -1987 FJ40, FJ55, FJ60 - VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com/products/oem-toyota-cylinder-head-coolant-temperature-sensor-union-nut
Im assuming that if so that yours is better quality of course. I just picked up a fuel pump from you :D

Also, I found out I have 60 series bolts on a 40 series rocker arm set, if I ran with it as is with the mismatched parts and the bolts with half the threads would something terrible happen or more just bad etiquette? My tight budget is wrecking me and rather not spend 300 on a new rocker. But I want to hear your thoughts

Dan

i PM'd you about the BOLTS

follow up with me there

thanks

i have a idea :idea:

Is there anything I can let go of besides ego cooler, EGR valve, and cats? In know I need the smog pump brackets-- but can I sell the smog pump and pipe sub assemblies 1 and 2? Trying to fund this project fellas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom