Pulling smog equipment off 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
in the midst of finishing an engine build and considering leaving the smog equipment off the rig and not bother with it. Im in Idaho so I won't need to get it tested.

From driving the rig for a while it seems like all the equipment was making it run worse, and as im going to put a header on it down the road I might as well just leave it off.

I don't have the finances to get any broken equipment fixed either, and Im convinced It may have been malfunctioning or failing according because of the age. I'd rather let her breathe and add it on back later if I ever move to a blue state.

Curious what others people experience with this is, I know its controversial but more asking it its pretty straightforward to just not put it back on, or if most guys are running their rigs without CATS and EGR

I think you answered your own question ... But if you want validation: leave it off; it'll be better and easier to make sure your new engine has proper break in and easier to get running right.

I think you answered your own question ... But if you want validation: leave it off; it'll be better and easier to make sure your new engine has proper break in and easier to get running right.
I sometimes think I do but since I’m 1 🍌 I never know...

Cheers

Plus, You can sell the parts you remove for a couple bills to put toward your rebuild. Once off, you'll never use them again -- unless you plan to sell the truck in the future, then it's better to keep the stuff in a box in case the buyer lives in a smog state and needs them.

Good luck!

I had the opportunity to drive a desmogged '85 FJ60 and compare it to my fully smog compliant '85 FJ60. 2 very different feeling engines! The only reason I keep mine going with all smog is because it works. If any major component needed replacement I would absolutely pull it all off since I don't need to test in Iowa.

I had the opportunity to drive a desmogged '85 FJ60 and compare it to my fully smog compliant '85 FJ60. 2 very different feeling engines! The only reason I keep mine going with all smog is because it works. If any major component needed replacement I would absolutely pull it all off since I don't need to test in Iowa.
Sounds good. I think I will.
How is the wheeling over in Iowa?
I took a road trip through there 2 octobers ago and fly fished, I absolutely loved it.
(was in the driftless region by Decorah, drove through des moines and Waterloo etc.)
Dan

desmog and sell those parts and dont look back. I am sure I got several hundred dollars for all the stuff I pulled off of mine. Plenty of folks in Nazi states trying to pass smog tests that need your used parts. Post up in classified section. Let that engine breath. I pulled cats, added headers and went with a Weber 38 when I had mine desmogged. Big difference.

desmog and sell those parts and dont look back. I am sure I got several hundred dollars for all the stuff I pulled off of mine. Plenty of folks in Nazi states trying to pass smog tests that need your used parts. Post up in classified section. Let that engine breath. I pulled cats, added headers and went with a Weber 38 when I had mine desmogged. Big difference.
How much ballpark do you think I should sell them for? Everything was working on there and the rig had passed smog a few years earlier.
Im goi
Plus, You can sell the parts you remove for a couple bills to put toward your rebuild. Once off, you'll never use them again -- unless you plan to sell the truck in the future, then it's better to keep the stuff in a box in case the buyer lives in a smog state and needs them.

Good luck!
Can anyone refer me to a list of smog parts that I won't need to put back on? Going thru smog manual, hard to see a comprehensive list.
Also in terms of pricing open to ideas. Would rather sell all together, Gunna try to get these up and out fast.

Beehang

How much ballpark do you think I should sell them for? Everything was working on there and the rig had passed smog a few years earlier.
Im goi

Can anyone refer me to a list of smog parts that I won't need to put back on? Going thru smog manual, hard to see a comprehensive list.
Also in terms of pricing open to ideas. Would rather sell all together, Gunna try to get these up and out fast.

Beehang
I like the idea of selling them altogether to someone...faster lump sum and you are done. I went to the classifieds and looked at what others were selling parts for. There are also several used parts sites you can use to gage pricing. Some parts are harder to come by than others...seems like I recovered at least a few hundred dollars selling it. Helped with other projects I had going on it.

Hey guys, Put all the smog stuff I knew was smog stuff in a box, im trying to sell all together but ran into a few roadblocks.

I think a lot of the vacuum lines and such are still attached within the engine bay, and not sure what I need and what can come off.
Same goes for random things I have in my bins, so if anyone has a I minute I uploaded pics of what I have and if any of it is smog feel free to speak up.

The other road block the air injection hose had something snap off I think when it was on its way here. pic of that is up as well if you guys can confirm its garbage.

First two photos are of the broken hose and the other one is of the box I already have prepared. Rest of the photos are there to go thru for double checking. (PS No sign of charcoal canister as far as i can tell. BUST!)

TDLR Basically I don't wanna accidentally not send everything because im new, or over promise.

Thanks for sticking with me this far guys, dont know what I would do without this forum and all of you
Here's the link: Smog eq lc60 1985 - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r94psmu7w7n7jqj/AADZc9A9tlMco3ST8GYRxqKVa?dl=0

Cheers!
Dan

Took the charcoal canister off today, curious if these brackets need to stay fit any reason, there was one hose semi attached to it as well via a shared bolt with the charcoal canister

E48E95AC-D29A-4C83-8954-E15174B567C7.jpeg

Took the charcoal canister off today, curious if these brackets need to stay fit any reason, there was one hose semi attached to it as well via a shared bolt with the charcoal canister

View attachment 3254941
Yes, the GM canister will fit in its place. This is the one piece of emissions you might be glad you keep.
Gas fumes are unsavory after a couple minutes.

@Beehanger your dropbox link shows alot of non-smog parts that you will need to run your truck like your throw out bearing fork, oil cooler, power steering pump bracket, engine mount, etc. Also, some parts that maybe they are from a different truck look like they are mixed in with your FJ60 parts, like the alternator. Can anyone tell what these are and where they came from on an FJ60?

1677129811494.png

1677129998570.png

Yes, the GM canister will fit in its place. This is the one piece of emissions you might be glad you keep.
Gas fumes are unsavory after a couple minutes.
Any others? This one? Getting block of late so may not need it yeah?

E474C1AC-3FB1-4551-A6CC-A9F019FBE401.jpeg

@Beehanger your dropbox link shows alot of non-smog parts that you will need to run your truck like your throw out bearing fork, oil cooler, power steering pump bracket, engine mount, etc. Also, some parts that maybe they are from a different truck look like they are mixed in with your FJ60 parts, like the alternator. Can anyone tell what these are and where they came from on an FJ60?

View attachment 3255917

View attachment 3255918
I think I went a little overboard considering me and the mechanic semi helping me pointed out the PO sent me 3 ****ing exhaust manifolds. I thought they were smog related but no they weren’t. Unfolds amount of s*** was sent with my stuff for reasons I’ll never know. I’ve narrowed it down except for the items I’ll post next

I think I went a little overboard considering me and the mechanic semi helping me pointed out the PO sent me 3 f***ing exhaust manifolds. I thought they were smog related but no they weren’t. Unfolds amount of s*** was sent with my stuff for reasons I’ll never know. I’ve narrowed it down except for the items I’ll post next

9EF99A8C-B3FA-44D7-98FA-7819219763E5.jpeg

A709ECD6-02E8-4F93-8167-955E3C552911.jpeg

I am still assembling my engine following a rebuild as well. If I were in a non smog state I would still save the smog parts until the engine is put together, installed, tuned, and running how I want it and then sell the emissions equipment. Especially since you are still learning how the truck is going to go together. Some stuff can be left off, like the EGR cooler, EGR valve, and catalytic converter. But if you want to run your factory carburetor you might want to keep your fuel line, the carburetor linkage and other items. Some people also keep the lower smog pump brackets and run an idler pulley in place of the air pump. If you have access to seeing someone else's desmogged truck and their setup, that would be the biggest help.

Any others? This one? Getting block of late so may not need it yeah?

View attachment 3255919
Keep that. It deflects heat from whatever air/fuel device you put on there. It's not disposable. You can trim it later, but it is a friend.
My Sniper doesn't mind it. Lots of heat coming off the manifold.
Emissions requirements suck, but assume Toyota engineers knew what they were doing. Take some time to understand what each part does and why.
Know that your advance curve on your timing will not be happy with desmogging. You will also have to account for high altitude adjustments.
These were the last Toyotas to come to the US with carbs. Toyota spent millions to make these trucks better then their redecessors while bowing to the suits in Congress. It has the most amazing carb ever and the best distributor you can get. Both of those are going to need modifications to make your 2F happy again. Everything you need to know is right here on MUD. It's a tractor motor they said 😄
It is... Hope you like grease under your nails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom