Pulling a 5300lb 25 Ft Travel Trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get land tanks MAF... It would help.

So what other camping rigs are out there? Submit pictures...

Ok I just received my Tekonsha P3 and the 4 pin to 7 pin kit wiring harness for the rear. Tekonsha doesn't make an easy plug and play for my LX450 so the generic wire harness is what is suggested to use and hard wire it up. My question is... is there any 80 install pics & write ups for a brake controller? Thanks in advance.

I am putting the exact same thing in my LX right now. After I am done and everything works like it should (fingers crossed) I will let you know what I did. But if my truck burns to the ground you will definitely be on your own because I definitely wound be of any help. What are you planning on towing??

For the past 2 years I have been towing a 2001 Coleman/Fleetwood Bayside popup without a brake controller and have been through 2 sets of front rotors and a new caliper for the passenger rear. So I decided that I really need a brake controller since the popup is equipped with electric brakes. I just hope they work. My wife has already planned 2 family camping trips to Dreher Island, SC and Hunting Island, SC this spring/summer and maybe some ad-hoc trips to the Blueridge Mountains.

So next week I plan on getting this thing mounted. Where are you mounting your controller? I was thinking of using the ashtray compartment if the P3 could fit there since it could be easily seen but I haven't measured the area yet. Also where are you mounting your 7 pin plug for the back? Any suggestions?

For the past 2 years I have been towing a 2001 Coleman/Fleetwood Bayside popup without a brake controller and have been through 2 sets of front rotors and a new caliper for the passenger rear. So I decided that I really need a brake controller since the popup is equipped with electric brakes. I just hope they work. My wife has already planned 2 family camping trips to Dreher Island, SC and Hunting Island, SC this spring/summer and maybe some ad-hoc trips to the Blueridge Mountains.

So next week I plan on getting this thing mounted. Where are you mounting your controller? I was thinking of using the ashtray compartment if the P3 could fit there since it could be easily seen but I haven't measured the area yet. Also where are you mounting your 7 pin plug for the back? Any suggestions?

Here's what I did.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/176453-best-spot-mount-brake-controller.html

Here's the best rated mirrors I could find. There's a little vibration in the passenger side mirror at speed, but not bad enough to be a distraction.

McKesh Mirrors

Check Craigslist.. I see them pop up every once in a while around here for half price.

You'll hate pulling a travel trailer without extended mirrors. I did my first trip without them. It was an experience I don't want to do again.

This is where my prodogy lives,

IMG_1079-1.jpg

you want to mount it so you can actuate the trailer brakes without having to look away from the road in an emergency situation.

I unplug it and store it in the glove box when not in use.

Valentine or others...
where did you mount the 7 pin hook up to the rear bumper or hitch? any ideas?

Doah!! I did see where you mounted yours but since mine is a LX, It doesn't have the same middle bumper piece as the LC. And I'm not sure I want to drill my painted middle out (but am considering it..)
Are there any others out there that mounted it differently?

TIA

Doah!! I did see where you mounted yours but since mine is a LX, It doesn't have the same middle bumper piece as the LC. And I'm not sure I want to drill my painted middle out (but am considering it..)
Are there any others out there that mounted it differently?

TIA

Don't be a wuss. :flipoff2:

I've never seen what an LX rear bumper looks like... :hmm:

They make mounts for those 7 pin couplings you can buy just about anywhere... Walmart, NAPA, etc..
attachment.php

There's a thread in the 100 series forum with a write up.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/162182-just-got-trailer-hitch-receiver.html

The guy posted this. It looks way better than the one above. You have less of a chance of messing it up while wheelin'

18156_display.jpg

just to add, I have towed several times with my 97, with a ome heavy kit and 305/70/16 mtr's 6k lbs is no problem with trailer brakes, It is a little slow getting up to speed but not bad. We have a 24' light weight 3500 empty, aluminum framing with honeycomb sides, and the cruiser does it just fine.. Now you won't go up the grade at 55 like in my dodge but it will do it.

Someone had a comment earlier about cheep tow vehicles, 96-99 crew cab chevys with a 454 are under 5k...with about 100k miles on them.. and they are very reliable... cheep interior but good drivetrain...they get about 10mpg towing... my brother had one for years and other than the little gm bs it wasn't a bad truck...

I can't believe no one has mentioned a TRD supercharger. A trans cooler with a supercharger will definitely help with the lack of power. It's a little pricey, but much cheaper than a new truck. This combo with a good trailer brake system makes these trucks a much better tow vehicle. This won't turn an 80 into a dully Dodge Cummins, but definitely a serious improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom