Pulley Alignment Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My less than a year old fan belt flipped over today and it looks based upon the wear that one of my pulleys are out of alignment. To me...it look like the top pulley is out of alignment. Like it sits out a bit further and slightly crooked than the bottom two. I could be wrong. If anyone see something different please say so but for sure I have one of them out of alignment.

How do I adjust this pulley in or out or is it even possible?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that is the alternator. Check that the pulley is completely seated on the shaft and the bracket is not bent or the holes elongated. I have seen some cases where the woodruff key causes the pulley not to properly seat. If all is ok you can adjust the alignment with thin washers.

I'm guessing that is the alternator. Check that the pulley is completely seated on the shaft and the bracket is not bent or the holes elongated. I have seen some cases where the woodruff key causes the pulley not to properly seat. If all is ok you can adjust the alignment with thin washers.

Yes...I should have clarified when I say "top pulley" I mean the alternator pulley. When you say "the holes elongated" do you mean where the the alternator pivot bolt attaches to the alternator guide arm? Or whatever that is called.

Yes, there and the rest of the mounting holes as well. They will wear also. I have seen cases where the adjustment arm had the lockwasher on the engine side causing belt misalignment.

Yes, there and the rest of the mounting holes as well. They will wear also. I have seen cases where the adjustment arm had the lockwasher on the engine side causing belt misalignment.

I went and checked and if I'm following you then the lock washer was in fact on the engine side. I moved to the position in the picture below. Is this the correct location the lock washer should be? To the left is the engine and to the right is the radiator.

The washer is on the wrong side causing your alignment problem, it looks more like a spacer than a lockwasher. Take it out and see if that doesn't make the problem go away.

The washer is on the wrong side causing your alignment problem, it looks more like a spacer than a lockwasher. Take it out and see if that doesn't make the problem go away.

The spacer in the picture was on the engine side where you said you've seen it mis-align the pulley. I moved it. The receiving hole my bolt goes into is threaded on mine so I don't require a lock washer.

You're thinking I should remove the spacer?

this may help.

1451855517122-1198180326.jpg

Your alt may also be on the wrong side of the bracket from other pics I have seen. With the alt on the inside of the bracket, the bolt and that washer are on the outer side of the bracket. Do a search on the internet for fj40 alternator installations and you will see what I mean.

The fore and aft position of the alternator is fixed by the cradle it sits in. The upper bracket cannot change that.

If the cradle itself has some wiggle room in how it is bolted to the cylinder head, that will affect orientation as well as fore and aft, IOW, both, but only a little.

If your lower alternator mounting ear or the cradle are missing one or both sleeves, that will significantly affect pulley alignment. Ask @RodrigzCrzr; he knows all about that.

HTH

Mark

www.markskffroad.net

Last edited:
Your alt may also be on the wrong side of the bracket from other pics I have seen. With the alt on the inside of the bracket, the bolt and that washer are on the outer side of the bracket. Do a search on the internet for fj40 alternator installations and you will see what I mean.

My alt is on the outside of the bracket...not the inside. It's mounted similar to the pics you posted. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom